In this article, we will answer the question: is a TENS machine helpful for migraine and your best options to buy one. If you are in a hurry, the table below gives a quick snapshot of your best options.
Last update 2021-07-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Do you suffer from frequent headaches? If yes, then you can be affected by migraines. Migraine is a disease that causes you to have a constant headache on a particular spot with varying intensity. There are about 47 million people in America that suffer from this condition. Out of these 47 million people, 75% are females.
Many potential triggers can cause a migraine attack. These triggers can be related to your diet, hormones, age, nutrition, sound or visual disturbances, and so on. You can use a TENS machine to reduce your headache during a migraine attack. A TENS machine uses low-intensity signals to stimulate the pain. It doesn’t require any medicine, a lot of time, and is a non-invasive technique for dealing with headaches.
Is A TENS Machine Helpful For Migraine And Your Best Options
Yes, a TENS machine helps treat migraine pain. According to new studies and researches, a TENS unit or machine is super effective and fast in eradicating acute migraine attacks. The difference between the patients’ pain measured on a Visual Analog Scale(VAS) was comparatively lower than the patients who were not using a TENS machine.
Within the first twenty minutes, this difference in VAS grew to be more significant. The patients on the TENS machine felt comfortable and relaxed. A TENS machine also has other benefits than just reducing your pain and discomfort. You can use this machine on your skin to improve its health. You can also use it on your face to deal with various kinds of pain in the jaws, cheeks, mouth, and so on.
How To Use A TENS Machine For Treating Migraine
There is a proper method that you must follow to treat or cure your migraine attack with a TENS machine. For reducing your headache, you will need at least four electrode pads along with a TENS machine. You must position or place these pads at the correct spot to get instant relief.
Place two electrode pads on your upper neck, then place the next electrode pad on your shoulder beside your neck. Place this pad on the same side where you are experiencing the headache in your temple. Finally, the last electrode pad goes on top of your temple, on the painful side. You mustn’t use these pads at a higher intensity as that would cause you to have more discomfort.
The selection criteria for choosing a TENS machine that helps migraine depends on the factors discussed below:
Their size should be small to conveniently apply the electrode pads of a TENS machine on your face and forehead. Smaller pads are easy to apply on the face and forehead in comparison to larger pads.
Applying larger pads for a long time can cause skin irritation. The users prefer the TENS machines that also have multiple modes of operation. This feature gives them the ability to customize their experience. You can set the intensity of the vibrations or the signals depending upon your pain intensity.
A TENS machine that has multiple channels can supply output signals to more electrode pads simultaneously. For instance, a dual-channel TENS machine can support about four or six electrode pads at a point in time. Similarly, a TENS machine with four channels can support eight or ten channels.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long do TENS electrode pads last?
Typically, TENS electrode pads can last for about 150 uses or five months if you use them daily. If you follow simple cleaning and maintaining instructions, you will enhance these pads’ longevity and durability. You can clean up the pads ten times with a damp cloth to remove all the pads’ dirt and impurities.
When you change or replace these electrode pads with new ones, remember to remove the protective film from them. After removing this film, place your electrode pads onto the pad holder that you get while purchasing a TENS machine.
Can we make the electrode pads of a TENS machine sticky?
Yes, you can make the electrode pads available with your TENS machine to be more sticky. Most of these pads work on self-adhesive technology. Due to this property, you can reuse the same electrode pads over and over again.
If you feel that your electrode pads are losing their adhesive or sticky nature, then that could be due to the collection of dirt and germs on these pads. Cleaning them with a damp or wet cloth will restore the adhesive nature of the pads. You mustn’t use anything else than a cloth to clean these pads as they would just add to the impurities.
Can you overuse a TENS machine?
No, you cannot overuse a TENS machine. There are potential dangers or harmful effects of using a TENS machine for longer sessions. A TENS machine can also easily function as a muscle stimulator that reduces fatigue, soreness, and pain built up in your muscles.
The only potential harmful effect that you can experience while using a Tens machine for a long period is skin irritation. People with sensitive skin are vulnerable to suffer from irritation on the skin.
It is ideal for taking a break after using the TENS machine for about 20-30 minutes. As long as you are using a TENS machine on low-intensity signals, you should be completely fine.
How do you permanently cure a migraine?
If you live with a migraine, then a few things that you should take care of are:
- Avoid foods with nitrates, MSG, cheeses, alcohol, and processed foods. Try to add magnesium-rich foods instead.
- Use lavender oil and peppermint oil to cure headaches
- Acupressure, massage, and yoga can be helpful in treating migraines
Best TENS Machines For Migraine
#1 Auvon Dual Channel TENS Machine
- Pain Relief: Using this TENS machine will send out sensory signals to your nervous system. You will experience less pain. This machine also triggers the natural pain recovery gait of our body. This pain gait reduces your discomfort and relaxes your body even during a migraine attack.
- Independent Control: This TENS machine is a dual-channel muscle stimulator machine. You can independently control the channels present on this machine. There are two channels, channel A and channel B. You can use this TENS machine for migraine as these independent channels can set different massage styles.
- Pads: There are different sizes of electrode pads available with this TENS machine. The smaller two-inch wide pads are suitable for compact areas such as the knees, elbows, face, forehead, etc. The larger pads are 4×2 inches wide and are ideal for large areas such as the chest, stomach, or back.
#2 Auvon Four Output TENS Machine For Migraine
- Four Output: This TENS machine has four output channels. Due to these four output channels, you will be able to use eight electrode pads simultaneously. Extra output channels also help you to set different intensities on these channels and control them independently.
- Modes: This TENS machine has 24 levels of intensity levels. This feature is ideal for amateurs. They can start using a TENS machine at low-intensity levels and then gradually build up their tolerance when comfortable.
- Pads: The electrode pads that you get with this TENS machine have an industry-leading adhesive formula. Due to this formula, you can reuse these pads up to 45 times, and they also have a self-sticking design.
#3 Nursal TENS Machine For Migraine
- Pain: You will find this TENS machine very impactful against migraine treatment as you get multiple electrode pads with this machine. There are eight small pads in this set, and these pads easily stick to your skin due to their excellent adhesive formula.
- Modes: There are six different therapy modes stored in this TENS machine. You can use these six therapy modes separately as well. There are 20 different intensity modes available in this machine; you can use the TENS machine for various functions using this feature.
- Ergonomic: This machine is unlike the wired TENS machines. This machine operates on batteries that are rechargeable. Due to this feature, you can easily carry this machine from one place to another. It can run for twenty hours when fully charged.
#4 Intensity Home TENS Machine
- Dual Channels: This pain relief therapy machine has two output channels, due to which you can use two or four electrode pads at the same time. You do require four electrode pads for the treatment of migraines. Two pads go over your neck, one on the shoulder and one on the temple.
- Functional: This TENS machine has two pre-programmed therapy settings for each body part. Apart from these settings, you also have 12 initial therapy settings. There are over 100 intensity modification levels in each therapy setting. You can use this machine for other purposes, such as reducing pain from other body parts as well.
- Pads: There are four electrode pads that you get with this TENS machine. These pads are specially built to have a small size. You can apply them easily on your face, temple, shoulder, or neck due to the small size. These pads are thin, flexible that has a self-adhesive property. Due to this property, you will not have to struggle while applying or removing them.
#5 Easy Home TENS Machine
- Dual-Channel: There are two output channels on this TENS machine. These channels can send sensory signals and work independently to send the signals to our nerves. There are different levels to the signals, and you can change these levels with the help of an LCD and a control panel.
- Pads: Self-adhesive high-quality electrode pads present with this TENS machine will improve your entire experience massively. You can use these pads at different regions or parts of your body to get instant relief from the pain. The smaller pads that you get with this machine are ideal for the treatment of migraines.
- Drug-Free: TENS therapy for migraine is a drug-free procedure. There is no for taking up harmful medicines or injections with this therapy. It is a completely non-invasive and effective procedure. The electrode pads with this machine are soft and smooth to protect the skin of the user. People who do have sensitive skin would not experience any rashes or skin irritation due to this feature.
#6 Ireliev TENS Machine For Migraine
- Functional: This TENS machine is effective for treating migraines as it has a dual-channel design. A dual-channel allows you to use multiple electrode pads per channel. For instance, you can use two pads per channel with this machine, and you require four pads at least for treating migraines.
- Pads: You get four electrode pads with this TENS machine, and it also operates on rechargeable batteries. When fully charged, you can use this machine for 30 hours at a stretch. It also has eight preset therapy settings that will help you to tackle different kinds of pain.
- Ergonomic: This TENS machine has an automatic lock over your preferred settings. Due to this lock, your preferred settings will not change accidentally. You also get an LCD screen on this machine that allows you to set an automatic timer.
Migraine can bring your life to a standstill. It can affect your everyday life and make working impossible. Hence, get a TENS machine for migraines today and get relief from excruciating pain.
This article has selected the best TENS machine for migraine based on electrode pads, multiple channels, and supply output.
In our opinion, the AUVON Dual Channel TENS Unit... is the best choice for migraine pains. This is because this TENS machine will send out sensory signals to your nervous system, due to which you will experience less pain. This machine also triggers the natural pain recovery gait of our body.
The AUVON 4 Outputs TENS Unit EMS... is another great choice because this TENS machine has 24 levels of intensity levels. This feature is ideal for amateurs. They can start using a TENS machine at low-intensity levels and then gradually build up their tolerance when comfortable.
Suppose you are looking for a value for money option. In that case, you can also consider the Mini Electronic Pulse... , which offers great value and features at a very reasonable price point.
While we make every effort to provide updated and correct information, the advice given in this article and website should not be construed as “medical advice.” Please consult with your physician or medical practitioner before using any TENS Machine. Each individual may have unique issues, and your medical practitioner is the best person to decide the best TENS machine for your case.