In this article, we will answer the question: is a TENS machine good for arthritis pain, and your best options to buy one. If you are in a hurry, the table below gives a quick snapshot of your best options.
Last update 2021-07-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Are you someone who is suffering from swollen bone in the joints area? Are you looking for the best alternative of medicine to get relief from the pain? You have come to the right place. If you are bothered about taking too much medication and its side effects, you can use a TENS machine.
Cochrane Review also suggests transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS) machine for joint pain. It stated that nearly half of the people who have tried TENS machines got a fifty percent reduction in pain.
TENS machines help reduce arthritis pain in the best way possible without any additional drugs and eliminate any side effects. It is an inexpensive and easy-to-use device that gives the person the ability to control their pain by themselves.
Is A Tens Machine Good For Arthritis Pain And Your Best Options
TENS aims to give relief from pain by sending electrical currents. These currents obstruct pain signals to the brain and release endorphins. Endorphins are the natural pain killer released by the body; it heals and calms down the body. There are many reasons and areas for arthritis to occur. The main two variations are rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis pain.
Rheumatoid arthritis happens when the immune system responds abruptly, and joints become inflamed. In contrast, Osteoarthritis is a situation of wear and tear of tissues around joints. Both cause stiffness, loss of movement, pain, and swelling. For treating arthritis, TENS is the best alternative for drugs.
The electrode pads are placed on the joints or near to the area of the pain. Then, the machine sends pulses via electrodes into the skin and nerve fiber. It numbs the nerve ending and gives relief to the pain. It suppresses the pain signal to the brain and releases endorphins.
You may also like Can A TENS Machine Help In Weight Loss
Advice on How to Use a TENS Machine
If the arthritis pain is limited to one area, it is easy to place the TENS machine. Just place the electrode pads above and below the joints, or you can also put them parallelly to the painful joints.
If the pain is in multiple areas, then the person needs to decide where to put first. If you have regular arthritic pain, you can use the device more often by switching it on and off whenever it is required. Suppose you have arthritis located in the knee area. In that case, you can also choose a wireless machine to walk while having the TENS session.
Similarly, the TENS machine for arthritis hands also works amazingly. The user needs to place the pads on either side of the hand where the pain is located. Then the signal passes from one electrode to another and reduces the pain in hand.
In Which Condition Can You Not Use the TENS machine?
If anyone has an implantable device, it is suggested not to use the machine near that area. The machine can disrupt the function of the implantable device. If a woman is pregnant and wants to cure her arthritis pain with a TENS machine, it is not suggestible to use it. A person with epilepsy is not allowed to use the TENS machine for any acute or chronic pain. Even a cancer patient should avoid using the TENS machine to cure joint pain.
Components of a TENS Machine
A TENS machine is small in size and can be in a belt or adjusted in the pocket. It comes with electrodes and pads. The electrodes connect the remote-like device with a pad. The pads are generally 2 inches in size. Each pad has a conformable backing and is perfect for placing it on any area of the skin. The device is controlled by a remote which has a button for every function. The machine produces electrical pulses to the body. The duration, intensity, modes, etc., can be easily adjusted by using the remote.
You may also like Can You Use A TENS Machine For The Face And Skin
Selection Criteria for TENS Machine For Arthritis Pain
For arthritis pain, the TENS machine has to be portable, easy to use by the elderly, good display, long-lasting battery with good quality electrode pads. The machine should have a lithium battery that gives a good run on a single charge.
The machine must have a dual-channel mode, which will allow users to use the device for different areas simultaneously, for example, finger and elbow together. The machine should have a good adhesive attached to the pads to fall if a user is moving while using the TENS machine.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long can you use a TENS machine?
Usually, it is suggested that one session of the TENS machine should last around thirty minutes at a time. But, it is not harmful to prolong the session for a few minutes. Just the user needs to give a break to the skin after every twenty minutes. The only factor users need to keep in mind for the longer session is noticing skin irritation. If skin starts to get irritated, the user must stop the session immediately.
What should be the main criteria while purchasing a TENS machine?
While buying a TENS machine, one should see if it can treat multiple body pain. Be it a pain in the back, elbow, neck, migraine, and period pain. It should also have built-in modes available for various types of pain. The device must also have multiple intensity levels to manage the pain.
One can also check if the machine has a dual-channel pad that can treat two areas simultaneously. According to the need, the user can select a wireless device also. Most importantly, it should be easy to use with a good display and button facility. At last, one should also see that it is FDA certified for safety norms.
Does the TENS machine relax muscles?
Yes, you can use the TENS machine to loosen the muscles knots. When muscles get injured, they become tight to protect the harmed area and promote healing. TENS device helps the body release endorphins to heal the pain, which will stop muscle guarding.
This effect will loosen the muscle tightness and will slow down the process of knotting. This will, in turn, increase the motion of the motion making the person more comfortable and relaxed.
You may also like Does A TENS Machine Help In Plantar Fasciitis
Best TENS Machine For Arthritis Pain
#1 MEDVICE Rechargeable Tens Unit
- Lithium battery: If you charge it entirely once, you can use it for upto ten hours. It also has a provision to indicate a low battery when the charge is down. To recharge the battery, you can use any USB port or wall charger.
- Upgraded pads: The electrode pads are made up of Japanese adhesive, which sticks tightly to the skin. It is in a manner where they can be used on any body part. They are easy to clean and have a long lifespan. When you place the pads on the body, they target the pain very effectively.
- Multiple modes: The machine provides us with sixteen modes that help in targeting different types of pains. The modes range from Shiatsu deep tissue massage to low intensity with kneading and cupping, tapping, etc. There are twenty different levels of intensity that can be adjusted based on necessity.
#2 AUVON Rechargeable TENS Unit
- Pads: The machine has American adhesive electrode pads in it. They are reusable and easy to stick in the aspired area. The electrode pads used in the device are made of high quality, and they remain the same even after forty-five uses. The pads are two mm thicker and stick to the skin tightly. To increase the shelf life of the pads, add drops of water before and after use.
- Battery life: Once charged, we can continuously use the machine for ten hours. To recharge the battery, you can use any USB port or wall charger. It also indicates the life of the battery so that the user is aware of the time left.
- Massage modes: The machine has sixteen pre-programmed modes with an adjustable timer, which satisfies everybody’s needs and requirements and gives a pleasant massage session.
You may also like Can A TENS Machine Help With Muscle Building
#3 iReliev TENS Combination Unit
- Timer setup: The machine has an adjustable therapy timer that allows the user to set a timer for sixty minutes when he starts some mode on your body. The time required for treatment can be changed based on the level of pain.
- Modes: The TENS machine has fourteen preset pain relief and muscle conditioning modes to address various ailments. It also comes with a particular way to treat arthritis.
- Medical grade output strength: With 80mA output, the user has a variation from level to level, pinpointing the right area with the right intensity. It is perfect for both acute and chronic pain.
#4 Xpoint Dual Channel Luxury TENS Unit
- Portable: The machine is not just for home purposes; the user can carry it anywhere with him. It comes in small sizes and is portable. The unit uses low-frequency electrical muscle stimulation, which helps the user take it and use it outdoors for a long duration.
- Different methods: The machine comes with twenty-four adjustable massage modes and has twenty adjustable intensity levels to address acute and chronic pains. It lets the user enjoy both light pressure and high strength massages.
You may also like Top Accessories For A TENS Machine
#5 RENPHO SM TENS Unit
- Battery life: The lithium battery can be recharged multiple times and have a longer shelf life. It can run for a longer time on a single charge. It gives better power efficiency and requires low maintenance. It can be connected to a wall charger as well as to a USB port charger.
- Touchscreen: The machine has 3.5 inches touchscreen. It is a user-friendly device and is very smooth to use. It has a clear display of all the information on the screen with a blue backlight in it. The machine has a safety lock function which ensures that the machine does not start on its own.
- Multiple modes: The machine has twenty-four modes and twenty intensity levels in it. It allows the user to use it on any part of the body with arthritis pain. The default intensity is set on the lowest mark, and the user can set it according to the requirement.
#6 NURSAL Dual Channel TENS Unit
- Sticky pads: The machine is wireless with pads attached to it. The pads get stick to the body tightly. It has various sizes of pads from large, medium, and small to give a perfect fit. It provides a specific treatment to the patient.
- Dual-channel: The machine has a function to set separate modes and intensities for both channels. The user can customize the device and can be you by two people simultaneously with the favored modes.
- Memory function: It remembers the massage mode you have selected last time and sets the mode accordingly. It also has an accidental touch prevention function that helps the user avoid any unnecessary situation during the machine’s use.
You may also like Can A TENS Machine Help With Poor Blood Circulation
The pain of arthritis can be excruciating and can make your daily chores a tedious task. The problem can become quite serious if left unattended. If you are experiencing joint pains and looking for a non-invasive solution, get a TENS machine for arthritis pain as soon as possible.
This article has selected the best TENS machine for arthritis pain based on its long-lasting battery life, electrode pad quality, portability, and modes.
In our opinion, the MEDVICE Rechargeable Tens Unit... is the best choice for arthritis pain. This is because the machine has a pad made up of Japanese adhesive, which sticks perfectly on any part of the body. It is easy to clean and run for a longer time.
The AUVON Rechargeable TENS Unit... is another great choice because The machine has upgraded from gel pads to American adhesive pads, which stick tightly to the skin. The pads are known to work efficiently on the pointed body part, and the machine is very easy to use by people of any age group.
Suppose you are looking for a value for money option. In that case, you can also consider the RENPHO SM TENS Unit... , which offers great value and features at a very reasonable price point.
While we make every effort to provide updated and correct information, the advice given in this article and website should not be construed as “medical advice”. Please consult with your physician or medical practitioner before using any TENS machine. Each individual may have his or her unique issues and your medical practitioner is the best person to decide the best TENS machine for your case.