We have reviewed equipment to help you get out of bed. If you are in a hurry, the table below gives a quick snapshot of the top 6.
Last update 2021-07-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update 2021-07-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
In 2015, the number of people receiving home health care was 4.5 million. Many of them needed assistance to move in and out of a bed as well.
There are several utility devices for those who are injured, have undergone a recent operation or are too old to get up on their own from a bed. One of the most common ones are bed rails, which are essentially like grab bars, but designed to be attached to the bed so that the user can hold on to them while lifting himself/herself up.
Through this article, we have brought for you some of the best equipment to help you get out of bed, that are both durable and easy to work with.
Our Top Choice – Signature Life Handle Bed Rail
The Signature Life Confidence Bed... is our top choice for equipment to help you get out of bed.
This bed rail is specially designed for elders. This compact device has handles made of grip material that provides firmness to the hands and makes the handle non-slippery. This bedrail can be used on either side of the bed, from twin to king.
Some other features:
- It can support up to 300 pounds weight.
- A very durable and versatile device.
- Works with mattress height ranging from 10-17 inches
- It also has an organizer pouch that is easily removable according to need.
- Height is 19.5 “, width is 16″, base is 20”.
- Dual safety straps can be attached to the bed’s frame that adds to the elders’ security.
Equipment to Help You Get Out of Bed
#1 Signature Life Handle Bed Rail
Older adults find it challenging to get out of bed. This bed rail is specially designed to prevent your loved one from falling. It supports almost 300 pounds of weight. The handle design enables the user to hold the handle with both hands.
As the handle provides a nice grip to the hands, moving or sliding out of bed is very easy. The bed handle is very versatile as it fits from twin beds to California king size beds. This reversible rail can be installed on any side of the bed.
It also has dual safety straps that fit mattresses measuring between 10-17 inches thick. The bed rail also has an organizer pouch attached to it that blends well with the bed and your room.
You can use the pouch to keep your AC remote, TV remote, cell phone and night medicines well organized. You can also get the bed handles customized according to your use. This is a perfect solution for maintaining the safety of the elders.
The best thing about the bed rail is that the handle can be adjusted from 19.5″-25.5 “.
- Fits twin beds to king size beds.
- It can be used on either side of the bed.
- Dual safety straps that fit mattresses that are 10-17 inches thick.
- Non-slippery handle made of heavy-duty material.
- Low profile design makes the bed rail very versatile.
- Handle height can be adjusted from 19.5 inches to 25.5 inches.
- Weight capacity of 300 pounds.
- It has a pouch organizer to keep important things near you.
- Not suitable for adjustable beds.
- Creates a bump under the mattress where it slides under.
#2 Drive Medical Adjustable Height Assist Handle
Drive Medical brings you this adjustable height assist handle that will make coming out of bed very convenient. With long rods, it slides under the bed easily without much effort. The handle can be used on any side of the bed and has no-slip foam to stay in place.
The bed rail is made of chrome-plated steel that makes it tough and durable. It arrives in 3 pieces and assembling it is very easy. This device is foldable and can easily be stored when not in use.
- The handle slides under the bed and does not come out due to the no-slip foam on it.
- Three-piece construction- can be assembled easily.
- Handle height can be adjusted from 15 inches to 20 inches.
- The handle above the mattress also has no-slip foam that provides a perfect grip and stability to elders while moving out of bed.
- Its weight holding capacity is 250 pounds, making it strong enough for heavy users.
- Rail dimension is D 32.75″, W19.75″, H16.5″.
- Highly affordable and portable device to invest in.
- Making the bed is a bit difficult with the bed rail.
You might be interested in reading: Car Transfer Assistive Devices
#3 LS Adjustable Sturdy Medical Bed Rail
This lifestyle solution bed rail LS7700 is designed to make your life easier than before. It helps you to get out of bed and also to slide-in conveniently. Handles are extra large and durable due to foam padding that helps to provide grip to the hands while holding on to it.
Moreover, for extra safety, we have included an adjustable strap. Just fix the strap to the bed frame, and you are done. The rail has an adjustable height of 17 inches to 21 inches. This rail fits in any bed of any size perfectly.
With a weight capacity of 400 pounds, this rail has got the highest ratings for itself. It is easy to assemble and disassemble the bed rail in not more than 3 minutes.
- Proves to be safe while going in and out of bed.
- Very sturdy and versatile equipment for seniors.
- Adjustable height from 17″ to 21″.
- Pro grip handles provide a firm grip while moving in and moving out of the bed.
- With this bed rail, there is no need for foot support.
- The weight capacity is 400 pounds.
- No adjustable legs makes it difficult to match up to the height of the mattress.
- Difficult to use on a twin bed with one mattress.
#4 MTS Medical Supply The Transfer Handle
Generally, the transfer handle pan is perfect for hospitals and medical homes, nursing homes. But they can also be used at home. It helps the patient get out of bed, supports patients from falling and minimizes injury risk.
It is designed for pan based style hospital beds. Its weight capacity is 250- 300 pounds and meets all the guidelines of the FDA. With tool-free assembling, this bed rail is easy to use.
- Easy assembling without any tools.
- Prevents patients from falling from the bed.
- Weight capacity is of 250-300 pounds.
- Generally used in hospitals for pan base style beds.
- Generally available in white color.
- Meets all the guidelines of the FDA.
- Suitable for single pan style beds only.
You might be interested in reading: Stand Assist Devices
#5 Bed Assist Rail with Adjustable Height
Bed rail by Medical Kind is very easy to use and prevents elders from falling from the bed and hurting themselves. You need to slide the rail under the bed and fix it to the bed with security straps. It can fit different sizes of beds, from king and twin.
The best thing about the rail is it can be put on both the sides of the bed. It is suitable for seniors, pregnant ladies and even for small children. This bed rail has a removable mesh pocket that can be used to keep medicines, phones, TV remote, and more.
Assembling the bed rail needs no tools, and anyone can install it easily. You can adjust the height of the handles from 33 to 42 inches.
Further, the handles have a padded foam coating that provides a nice grip to the hands when using the rail. With a two way adjustment to fit all kinds of beds, the bar height can be increased easily. You can adjust the bar as per the bed’s height from 17 to 20.5 inches. It can withstand weight up to 350 lbs.
- This bed rail by Medical King meets all the safety requirements of the USA.
- 2-way adjustment, according to the bar and the bed height.
- Handles can be increased from 33 inches to 42 inches.
- It can withstand weight up to 350 lbs.
- Tool-free, easy assembling of the bed rails.
- Fits any size of mattress that is of twin and king size beds.
- Mesh pouch makes it easy to access personal items.
- The safety strap makes the rail even more durable and secure.
- Comfortable padded handles that provide grip to the hands while holding on to the rail.
- Instructions to use the strap with the bed could be very helpful.
- Not suitable for shorter beds.
#6 VIVE Bed Rail: Compact Assist Railing for Elderly
Vive bed rails are specially designed for seniors and for those who have had surgery or injury. It helps to provide additional security to people while getting into or out of bed. It is highly durable and sturdy.
It has a 22.13″ stabilizing bar with rubber-tipped legs that does not make the rail move. It also provides straps that can be attached to the bed for better surety.
The handle is also adjustable from 13 inches to 21 inches according to requirement and the bed frames. Soft non-slip grip handles provide hassle-free usage of handles without the hands slipping from it.
- Vive bed rail provides compact bedside support and makes moving in and out comfortable.
- The padded grip handles make the handles durable and sturdy.
- The bed rail fits any kind of bed and on any side of the bed.
- Handles are adjustable from 13 inches to 21 inches.
- The stabilizing handle under the bed is 22.13 inches long and does not move from its place.
- Simple to assemble the device without any tools.
- Cannot withstand too much weight.
You might be interested in reading: Bedroom Aids for the Elderly
#7 Invacare Painted Hydraulic Lift
If your loved one is incapacitated and it is dangerous to have them stand up from the bed even for a little while (for example to go to the washroom), you need to have an alternative arrangement for these daily tasks. One of the most often used options is a Hoyer Lift.
Manual transfers can lead to injuries. The Invacare 9805P is designed to make such a move easy and economic for everyone.
With a slim design, these lifts are versatile and can be used to move almost any kind of patients. They have a padded swivel bar and push handle, which makes it comfortable for the patient while moving.
The lift can handle a weight capacity of upto 450 pounds, which means that even the largest people can be handled with ease. The lift has a durable chrome-plated manufacturing with a paint finish. It can rotate the patient a complete 360 degree, with zero sideways swaying.
The lift itself is quite lightweight and can be easily disassembled, allowing users to transport it around quickly and easily.
Product max dimensions – 46.75” L x 42.25″ W x 20″ – 64” H | Base Width Closed – 22” | Clearance from Base to Floor – 6.5” | Product weight – 68 lbs. | Weight Capacity – 450 lbs.
- Helps transfer patients from bed to chair or any other movement easily and quickly.
- 360 degree rotation is possible with zero sideways swaying.
- Includes padded swivel bar and push handle for comfort of patient and caregiver.
- Can handle weights of upto 450 pounds.
- Lift weighs only 68 pounds and is easy to disassemble and transport.
- Durable chrome-plated construction with paint finish.
- If the patient is completely incapacitated, it becomes difficult to lift them up on this. Some bit of support is required from the patient as well.
Buyer’s Guide: Equipment to Help You Get Out of Bed
Padded Grip Handles
Before buying a bed rail, it is better to look for handles with padded grip handles. This will add to the safety of the seniors and also makes it easy to hold. The non-slippery handle makes getting in and out of bed very convenient.
Adjustable Stability Handle
The stability handles need to be long and adjustable. If it has safety grips on it, it is even better. This will help in providing a nice grip and will not make the bar move from its position.
Higher Weight Capacity
Another important thing to go for is a durable bed rail with a weight capacity of 300-400 lbs. The better the bars’ weight capacity, the better it is for patients and people who have a mobility disability.
Compact and Tool-free Assembling
Look for bed rails that are easy to install without tools. Go for buying compact rails that must be comfortable to use.
Opt for rails that are either steel or aluminum as both are strong and durable. They can withstand higher weights and are long-lasting too.
Frequently Asked Questions: Equipment to Help You Get Out of Bed
Which Bed Rail Is the Best For Seniors?
Bed rails with adjustable handles and long stability grip bars are always best for seniors. They can be adjusted according to the bed’s frame and make moving in and out comfortable for seniors.
What Is the Essential Thing to Consider Before Buying a Bed Rail for Seniors?
One of the most important things to consider before buying abed rail for elders is to look for a product that offers proper safety and durability. Sturdy rails support the weight of the senior. As moving out of bed and getting into the bed needs high force; therefore, look for strong bed rails with steel and aluminum frame.
Are Bed Rails Safe for the Elderly?
Bed rails are used in homes for long-term care facilities because they help keep people safe, especially elders. In reality, bed rails can be harmful if the users don’t take proper precautions. Elders can get trapped in the gap between the rail and the mattress. They can roll into that gap and be too weak to change position. They can also get trapped between the rails and suffocate.
When seniors who have dementia want to come out of bed and rails block their way, they often try to climb over the rails. This sometimes leads to a fall. They may end up hitting their heads, and have a serious injury. Injuries such as cuts, abrasions and bruises can also result when an older adult becomes entrapped.
It is advisable that this equipment is used when a care giver is at hand to help.
Equipment that helps people get out of bed can be a boon. It can prevent some major falls and accidents. Hence, it is imperative to own one when you have a problem in getting out of bed. In this article, we have selected the best Equipment To Help You Get Out Of Bed based on the features mentioned in our buyer’s guide and the ratings and comments mentioned by actual users on Amazon.
In our opinion, the Signature Life Confidence Bed... is the best choice among the various options that we have considered because it is rich in features and provides great support to the users.
If you are looking for a value for money option, you can also consider the Drive Medical RTL15063-ADJ... , which offers great value and features at a very reasonable price point.
You also be interested in: