This article will answer the question Can a TENS machine be used for sciatica and your best options to buy one. If you are in a hurry, the table below gives a quick snapshot of your best options.
Last update 2021-07-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Do you feel radiating, high-intensity pain in your legs? This might be a symptom of Sciatica. You need not worry as we have the solution for you. This article has selected the best TENS machines that will help reduce your sciatica pain and help you live pain-free.
Did you know that almost 40% of people experience Sciatica pain in their lives? Often people ignore small niggles and pains in the legs and back, but the truth is, it can cause major health issues if not treated timely and properly. Thanks to the upgraded technologies and gadgets that have made our life easier, we have a solution to manage this pain: a TENS machine.
Using TENS Machine for sciatica is one of the safest and the most effective ways to reduce this pain. The best thing about TENS Machines is, you can use them according to your convenience.
Can a TENS Machine Be Used For Sciatica And Your Best Option
TENS machines are one of those devices that can help relieve sciatica nerve pain and other health issues. It is convenient to use, saves a lot of time and money that one invests in expensive therapy sessions.TENS machine helps send impulsive electric signals to the area where you experience pain and heal the ache.
To use the device, you can place the TENS machine pads on the body part that hurts the most. Select a frequency of electric signals according to the level of pain. Using a higher frequency between 90 to 130 Hz is best for chronic pain. A lower frequency between 2 to 10 Hz is best for less painful areas.
Benefits Of Using A TENS Machine
Dealing with sciatica and the pain that one experiences in different body parts are unbearable. TENS machines help send electric pulses to the pain points and help produce endorphins that act as painkillers for the body. TENS machines are a drug-free way to get instant pain relief in the sciatic nerve.
Further, it blocks the brain’s signals to particular pain points of the lower back and legs that cause sciatica pain. Using a TENS machine to eliminate this chronic pain is one of the best user-friendly solutions and is very effective.
You will be surprised to know that TENS machines also help reduce migraine, joint, and neck pain. They are so safe that TENS machines are even recommended to reduce labor pain. Pregnant women must, however, not use the TENS machine on the pelvic and lower abdomen areas.
You may also like How to Sleep With Lower Back Pain and Sciatica?
How To Use A TENS Machine?
TENS machines are best for chronic pain as it induces endorphins and reduces nerve pain. It is light in weight and provides instant pain relief in many cases like muscle and joint pain. TENS Machines work on the skin by sending signals to the stress area by electrode pads.
Place the pads on each side, and when you switch the machine on, you will feel a tingling sensation. This is when the device will start sending impulsive signals through the skin to the affected area. Set the pulse rate or the frequency according to the pain.
The lower frequency is for less stressful regions, and the high frequency is for acute pain. 100Hz is the best frequency you can use. Set the machine for 45 minutes, and as you get prone to using the gear, you can increase the frequency and the timing according to need. Utilizing the device will help reduce the pain in the sciatica nerve and will help you live pain-free.
TENS Machine For Sciatic Nerve Pain
When using TENS machines for sciatic nerve pain, it is essential to know where the pain is coming from. It can come from the spine and from the Piriformis muscle that compresses the nerve in the spine. L4 to S3 is where the sciatic nerve affects the back and hurts the lower back and down to the legs. This will help you put the machine in the right place to get instant relief.
You may also like Best Heating Pads for Sciatica
We have selected the TENS machines with different modes and intensities that make the gear highly effective.
All the chosen devices have more than 15 modes and intensities to choose from as per your requirement.
All the machines are compact, have rechargeable lithium batteries that are easy to use.
Anyone can use these devices with ease at the office, home, or gym. It is suitable for all audiences.
You will not need any assistance to place the pads in the correct position as all the machines have self-adhesive pads.
Go through the choices below, and you will find the best TENS machines for sciatica and other health issues.
Frequently Asked Questions
What does a TENS machine do?
It helps in blocking the pain-causing signals from the brain. Further, the machine helps in developing endorphins that act as a pain killer for the body. Through electric signals, TENS machines help reduce pain and muscle stress.
When using the gear for sciatica pain, what is the most important thing to keep in mind?
When using the TENS machine for sciatica, remember to place the pads on either side of the area suffering from pain. This will help get instant relief from chronic sciatic nerve pain. Placing two pads on each side will be beneficial.
You may also like Best Massager for Sciatica
Best TENS Machine For Sciatica
#1 Auvon Dual Channel TENS Machine
- Ideal muscle massager: the TENS massager works on the area, causing maximum pain and getting relief with regular use. Now relax your muscles with the rechargeable TENS machine anytime as per requirement.
- Dual-channel: there are two different channels, A and B. Choose different modes for two different body areas. Massaging other areas at different intensities is possible with the dual-channel.
- Twenty different modes and intensities: choose from different modes and use them according to pain level. There are modes like kneading, tapping, hammering, shiatsu, and more that will help relax your aching muscles. You can set the pads in any area, starting from the neck to the legs. You can do your work and enjoy a relaxing massage at home at your convenience.
- Durable and anti-corrosion electrodes: the wires have a 2mm pin-locking mechanism that makes the gear safe and anti-corrosion. The pads have a four-layer coating that makes them long-lasting. Use the machine for 10 hours, and it has a steady current flow that makes the user feel relaxed and comfortable even if he/she is using it for the first time. You can charge the gear via USB cable.
- Self-stick pads: There are different pads available for other areas of pain. For chronic pain, you can use 2-inch pads, and for acute pain areas, you can use pads that are of size 2X4 inches. These industry-leading electrode pads can be used almost 45 times and help provide pain relief.
#2 AUVON EMS Muscle Stimulator Machine With 4 Outputs
- 4 Outputs provide better pain relief: you can use eight pads for different body areas and use TENS and EMS functioning at different intensities and modes. It is one of the best ways to get rid of acute pain from other body parts.
- Use a combination of 2 different therapies: The machine uses a combination of two different therapies simultaneously. TENS therapy will help in getting relief from muscle pain. Electronic muscle stimulators help in toning and contracting the sore muscles and help make sore muscles strong.
- Multiple modes and intensities: there are 24 different modes that one can choose from according to the body’s requirement. Twenty different intensities are also available in this compact gear that you can choose for a relaxing massage.
- Long-lasting gear with a large Screen: the gear has a large 3.69 inches LCD screen that helps select the modes with ease. You can use the muscle stimulator from ten minutes to ninety minutes. You can experience a relaxing massage that will help reduce body pain and sciatica nerve pain. The lithium battery is rechargeable that provides the user with a long-lasting, relaxing massage.
You may also like Best Knee Braces for Sciatica
#3 Belifu TENS Pulse And Muscle Therapy
- Multifunctional and full-body pain-relieving gear: It works on all body parts and helps relieve body and any muscle pain. With different preset modes, choosing a massage mode becomes very convenient. All those who are suffering from chronic sciatic nerve pain can buy this TENS massager.
- Non-stop 20 hours battery backup: You can use the rechargeable lithium battery for 20 hours non-stop. Connect with any charging device and quickly charge the battery. The gear automatically reminds the user to charge the battery.
- Ten different size reusable pads: reusable pads that are self-adhesive and can be used together using different mode settings and intensities. There are 24 modes and 20 intensities to choose from.
- Hassle-free storage: the compact gear comes in a drawstring pouch that makes it easy for the user to store the gear after use. With the pouch, the device remains dustproof and clean for the next use.
#4 TENKER TENS And EMS Therapy Machine With Eight Pads
- 24 EMS and TENS Modes: The micro-computer-controlled technology helps control the intensities and the modes as per the user’s choice. Different massaging methods like kneading, tapping, acupuncture, scraping and cupping, and more work on various body parts help reduce muscle soreness and sciatica pain. Massages are designed by professionals that make the gear outstanding in itself. The modes work on deeper muscles and alleviate pain from muscles.
- Two-person gear: the dual output design makes the gear ideal for two people at the same time. At one time, one user can use four pads of the same size. Single users can use this gear on different body parts at the same time.
- Hand controlled timer: the user can adjust the timer according to the need of the user. Starting from ten minutes, you can use the gear for sixty minutes. If you do not set a timer, there is a default timer of 20 minutes, after which the device will switch off automatically.
- Portable gear: its compact size makes it highly portable. It measures 3.6 X1.7 inches that makes it a pocket-size gear. You can use it anywhere and everywhere according to preference and get relief from chronic pain.
You may also like Best Car Seat Cushion for Sciatica
#5 KEDSUM Third-Generation TENS Pain Relief Gear
- Dual user gear: the dual output design makes the gear perfect for two people or two different body parts. At one time, you can use four pads to get rid of acute and chronic pain from any part of the body. The gear is easy to use, and the button-style electrodes are easy to connect to the pads.
- Backlit LCD DISPLAY with rechargeable battery: The TENS machine has an LCD screen that you can also use at night with ease. The timer is easy to control, and the user can set time starting from ten minutes to 60 minutes. There is also a default timer of 20 minutes that helps switch off the gear after the specific time. Rechargeable lithium batteries can be charged using a USB port. It helps the user use the gear for 10 hours non-stop.
- Three-layer reusable pads: The TENS pads are reusable, almost 25 times, and have three layers. The top layer is the conductive button layer that is set on a non-woven cloth. Then comes the second layer is the conductive carbon film that absorbs the gear’s electric current. 2mm gel layer is the last layer that sticks to the skin firmly to receive the electrodes.
- Sixteen different modes: Different modes starting from knocking, cupping, taping, acupuncture and shiatsu. All the ways help the user with a deep massage that effectively reduces muscle pain and joint pains. The dual output design and the button style electrode PADS make the gear different from other machines. It is powerful and has 16 different modes to select from.
Now don’t allow sciatica to rule your life. Get instant pain relief with a TENS machine. Use it regularly and enjoy your life like never before.
This article has selected the best TENS Machine For Sciatica based on different modes and intensity levels.
In our opinion, the AUVON Dual Channel TENS Unit... is the best TENS machine for sciatica because this fully isolated TENS machine works best for those who need to massage two different areas of their body with the dual-channel mode.
The AUVON 4 Outputs TENS Unit EMS... is another great choice because it uses both TENS and EMS muscle stimulators to reduce the pain from different parts of the body. At one time, you can use eight pads together and choose from 24 different modes and 20 different intensities.
If you are looking for a value for money option, you can also consider the TENKER EMS TENS Unit with 8... , which offers great value and features at a very reasonable price point.
While we make every effort to provide updated and correct information, the advice given in this article and website should not be construed as “medical advice.” Please consult with your physician or medical practitioner before using any TENS machine. Each individual may have their us, and your medical practitioner is the best person to decide the best TENS machine for your case.