In this article, we have reviewed the best wheelchairs with commode. If you are in a hurry, the table below gives a quick snapshot of the top 6.
Last update 2022-01-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
As per the CDC, 13.7 percent of people with a disability have serious difficulty walking or climbing stairs.
There are many activities of daily living that are hampered due to mobility disability, and perhaps one of the most personal and important ones is relieving oneself on a toilet.
Special wheelchairs that have a commode-like opening in them, and can be transported directly above the toilet are a dignified, easy to use, and safe way to make wheelchair users independent.
Let us help you with the task of picking out the perfect choice from among the Best Wheelchairs With Commode for your loved one.
Our Top Choice- Clarke Healthcare Portable Wheelchair
The Travel Pal - 4 in 1 Portable Travel... is our top choice for the best wheelchairs with commode because this wheelchair comes with a combination of a solid seat and a carry bag.
The design of the chair protects it from water and makes it easy to clean. It folds into one single unit and easily fits any luggage compartment. People with disabilities can travel worry-free with this wheelchair.
The chair fixes through thin passageways that make it ideal to use it in toilet or into a shower stall. The wheelchair gives independence to the disabled and the flexibility to travel without worry about how to do their daily ablutions
Some of the best features of this wheelchair are:
- This is a folding wheelchair with a commode. In its folded state, it is small enough to fit into an airline luggage compartment
- All its components are either plastic or stainless steel, which is water-resistant, including bearings and upholstery.
- It can easily fit through narrow passages, which makes it perfect for taking it inside bathrooms (It is only 20 inches wide).
- The weight of this chair is just 26 pounds, which means it can easily be transported anywhere where you are going
- It features a highly adjustable footrest, for ease of use of your loved one
- Its side wheels are movable by the person sitting on it and offer amazing maneuverability. This makes the chair completely independent of the person using it.
- It has 3.25-inch casters, which have a step on brakes for easily stopping the wheelchair
- Overall this is a very unique item that makes it very easy for the user to travel anywhere without having to depend on others.
Best Wheelchairs With Commode
#1 Clarke Healthcare Portable Wheelchair
Clarke Healthcare Portable Wheelchair is an ideal mobility wheelchair for older people or people with other disabilities. The wheelchair is highly portable and functional. It comes with a combination of a solid seat and a carry bag. People with disabilities can travel freely with the help of this compact wheelchair.
The chair is designed in such a way that it does not absorb water. It can easily be cleaned without the need for any special efforts. This wheelchair can easily be folded into one single unit, and you can fit it into your luggage. The best thing about this chair is that you can fold it with your one hand while sitting on the other chair.
The chair is specifically designed for the comfort and independence of the people. The side wheels are easy to move by the seating person. Moreover, it is adjusted in a way to fit into your toilet. The maneuvering of this wheelchair is not a complex task.
- Easily fit through narrow passages.
- Wheels are designed with molded push rims.
- Adjustable footrest for better comfort.
- All components are water-resistant.
- 3.25″ caster on brakes provides safety.
- Free mobility with better convenience.
- May not be suitable for people with spinal injuries.
- Anyone with a spinal cord injury that needs to do a bowel program, this chair will not work.
#2 EZee Life Toilet Wheelchair
This wheelchair comes with tailored features to cater to your mobility needs. The seat is designed with soft padded armrest and backrest. This wheelchair is one of the best and highly portable wheelchairs in the market. It is made of lightweight aluminum. It further gives you more comforting seating.
Removable cushion is inserted, especially for your convenience. It includes 5″ swivel locking casters and 24 rear wheels for removable slide on back arms. This makes it for more solid construction. The backrest and anti tipper headrest are also fully adjustable.
There are handles that help the patient to walk around with this chair. Rear locking brakes are specially made in the chair to enhance your security. Interchangeable casters make it easy for you to change them as per your needs and comfort level.
Here we have a video that shows how to assemble EZee Life Toilet Wheelchair.
- Two 24″ wheelchair tires and two caster wheels.
- It features a fully adjustable headrest.
- A super-soft seat ensures full comfort.
- The wheelchair has a weight capacity of 300 lbs.
- The removable footrest can be adjusted as per your convenience.
- This chair tilts 20 degrees and lower.
- Instructions to install this chair are not given.
You may also like to read about Best Bidet Toilet Seats for the Disabled
#3 Graham-Field Rolling Commode
Graham-Field Rolling Commode is an ideal shower wheelchair. The wheelchair is designed to offer unique independent padded drop arm function. This allows for safe lateral transfers. It works better with its 3 in 1function mode. This function includes transport, transfer, and commode function in one unit.
The chair features 5 inch rear safety locking swivel caster that allows you to take this chair in tight spaces. The chair can hold the maximum capacity of 300 lbs. the chair can evenly conveniently distribute your weight. Thus making it a highly mobile device among older people.
It is made with high-quality swing-away footrests. So you can attach it or detach it as per your convenience. The chair serves your requirements because of its compact and lightweight design.
- Practical 3 in 1 functional chair for people.
- Designed padded arm for safe lateral transfers.
- 5 “rear swivel locking transfers.
- 18.5 inch wide multifunctional, durable chair.
- Work well in getting in and out of the shower.
- Sturdy well in narrow places.
- The chair may be tough to roll on carpets.
- The chair comes unassembled, so assembly takes time.
#4 Giantex Store Transport Wheelchair
Giantex Store Transport Wheelchair is a 3 in 1, triple function wheelchair. This commode chair is an ideal one to use as a shower chair because of its waterproof material. Moreover, this chair has four large lockable rubber wheels. So one can also use it as a standard wheelchair. This chair performs the functions of three chairs.
The transport wheelchair is compact and lightweight. This chair is made of high-quality, sturdy aluminum. This gives the benefit of a rustproof chair. Moreover, it features excellent load-bearing performance. The static load-bearing of this chair is 300lbs. while the dynamic load bearing is 220lbs.
It comes with a lid bucket and is large enough to slide in and out. Handles make it easy to slide in and out. Behind hand, the push is anti-slip and serves the space-saving purpose. The armrests are made of soft pads, which assures more comfort to your arms.
- Best chair for physically inconvenienced people.
- Detachable hand push and soft padded armrests.
- Sturdy reinforced steel frame.
- Legrests rotate for space-saving purposes.
- Pedals can be flipped to the left or right side.
- The weight of this chair is 20.2 pounds.
- It cannot be used on gravel or grass.
- Wheels do not roll easily on carpets.
You may also like to read about Best Toilet Seat Riser with Arms and Legs
#5 HOMCOM Store Commode Wheelchair
The HOMCOM wheelchair is made of 4 castor wheels, rectangular detachable bucket, and waterproof design. The chair assures to offer portability, privacy, and independence for older people and disabled ones. The chair gives you perfect mobility with its customized features in it.’
It comes with an aluminum frame padded seat and a bucket. The chair also features four castors with brakes to help those with mobility limitations. This chair is made of waterproof material so that people can use it for a shower. The removable bucket assists people in the toilet to easily use this chair for your daily purpose.
The chair is lightweight and highly mobile. So it is best to use for the transportation of people from home to hospitals.
- Ideal multi-purpose chair for older people.
- Four waterproof casters and brakes for safe showers.
- Large detachable bucket with lid under the seat.
- Convenient flip for more support.
- Support up to 300 lbs of weight.
- Padded cushion seat with backrest.
- Flip-up armrest and sway away footrest.
- The chair sometimes lifts off from its base.
- Pushing the toggles to disengage the brake may be complex for elders.
#6 Invacare Store Aquatic Ocean Ergo Commode Chair
This Aquatic Ocean Ergo chair is designed for the user’s comfort, independence, and comfort. The chair is made of a stainless steel frame. Its modular and flexible design is specially created for the user’s comfort. The optimized wheelchair base allows caregivers to assemble this chair through small spaces easily. Thus it can easily fit in your toilets.
The fold-away arms and leg rests help in easy transfer. The ergonomically designed covers offer you comfort and satisfy your needs in a better way. The aquatic seat of this wheelchair is designed to give a more upright seating position. Therefore, helps to enhance your comfort.
The footrest height, seat height, and footplate angles are easily adjustable. This chair gives you a more upright position for better mobility and independence. The chair is easy to maneuver in small spaces. It better fits your standard toilet for personal care.
- Easy adjustable shower cum toilet chair.
- Innovative ergonomic seat for better upright positions.
- Easy to fit without extra accessories.
- Fit over a standard toilet for independent toileting.
- Highly configurable chair for easy transfers.
- The loading capacity of this chair is 330 lbs.
- Back straps often slide down.
- Hard molded plastic may cause inconvenience.
You may also like to read about Best Padded Toilet Seats for the Elderly
#7 Invacare Store Shower Wheelchair
This chair is an ideal shower commode wheelchair. The chair is made of rust-resistant aluminum frames and stainless steel hardware. This adjustable chair comes with a padded four-position seat. This allows older people to use this commode chair for daily use.
The swing-away front rigging comes with adjustable height footrest. The flip-back arms of this chair lockdown for the full safety of the seniors. This aids in providing user comfort along with adjustable height footrest.
This chair is light enough for better storage and transportation. Its compact size makes it easy for people to carry this chair anywhere. The safety strap is also included with the chair. The four positioned structure of the chair is ideal for people.
- The chair fits over most standard towel bowls.
- Tool-less adjustable height footrest.
- Lightweight aluminum frame and stainless steel hardware.
- Aids in providing users comfort.
- The weight of this chair is 41 pounds.
- Arm Pads of the chair may break off with time.
- Fabric backrest may tear off.
Features of a Wheelchair With Commode
These commode chairs are made with the safety of seniors in mind. The chairs are designed not to cause injuries to patients while transferring or bending forward. The wheel locks are designed to give extra security to people. It assists people in better mobility.
The seats of this chair are waterproof and provide full support and cushioning to avoid skin pressure. The chairs’ design should be such that it allows hand access from the seat from 3 directions.
Foldable wheelchairs have a lightweight frame that can be folded into a compact shape and stored easily at home or in the trunk of your vehicles. The frame of the wheelchair should be foldable, including the seat. They should also have a collapsible footrest and backrest.
The commode wheelchairs armrest must swing out of the way for easy transfers. It should support your body weight while getting up, sitting up, or repositioning themselves. So the armrests of this chair should be easily adjustable.
You may also like How to Choose Furniture for Wheelchair Users
Frequently Asked Questions:
What type of toilet is best for wheelchairs?
The best type of toilets for wheelchair users are wall hung toilet bowl with a concealed tank, pedestal toilets, wall hung toilets bowl and tank, ADA height toilets. These toilets are ideal for commode wheelchairs.
Can a bedside commode be used over a toilet?
A standard bedside commode normally has armrests and bucket to be removed. It cannot be used over a normal toilet seat, because it simply isn’t designed for that purpose. It is meant for people with mobility issues who would prefer not to have to visit the toilet many times (during the night time for example).
What are the safety tips you need to follow while transferring a person from a wheelchair?
You need to be extra careful while transferring a person from a wheelchair. Avoid leaning forward as the person may tip out of the wheelchair. You must lock the brakes prior trying to move out of the wheelchair. Avoid gliding or positioning yourself too far forward from the seat so that you can safely transfer the person from a wheelchair.
What is the static stability of the wheelchair?
The best static wheelchairs are the one which is designed for a minimum tip angle of 20 degrees in forward, rearward and sideways tipping. Thus it helps to ensure full stability of the wheelchair, especially for older people.
A commode wheelchair is the best way to give autonomy to people with mobility issues. If your loved one is having to depend on you or someone else lifting them up and placing them on the toilet seat every day, then there could be no better gift for them then a commode wheelchair.
In this article, we have selected the best wheelchairs with commode based on the features mentioned in our buyer’s guide and the ratings and comments mentioned by actual users on Amazon.
In our opinion, the Travel Pal - 4 in 1 Portable Travel... is the best choice among the various options that we have considered because it has a narrow body (to fit easily in toilet doors), all plastic and steel body (making it easy to clean), an adjustable footrest and side wheels (so that the user can push the chair themselves).
If you are looking for a value for money option, you can also consider the Giantex 3-in-1 Medical Transport... , which is a 3-in-1 shower chair, commode, chair, and wheelchair, at the lowest possible price.
We have extensive coverage of Adaptive Toilet Equipment. If you have a loved one who is unable to manage daily toilet-related tasks, you may like to visit some of the below pages:
- Best Bidet Toilet Seats for the Disabled
- 9 Best Bedside Commodes with Large Opening
- Bathroom Alterations for the Elderly
- 12 Best Patient Lifts for Home Use
- Best Bath Lift For The Elderly