As our seniors age, they often face difficulties completing elementary tasks such as walking, sitting, and standing. Mobility loss is one of the biggest problems that people encounter when approaching old age. In 2011, 24% of adults aged above 65 used a mobility aid .
While there are several types of mobility devices, such as walkers, rollators, wheelchairs, and scooters, etc., most of these devices have a common problems – they do not promote upright positioning of the back and spine while walking.
An upright walker focuses on promoting correct upright posture, allowing individuals to walk tall and straight, without having to bend over or hunch down. Using an upright walker, seniors can maintain an upright position without tiring themselves.
In this article, we review the best upright walkers available for seniors! The table below gives a quick snapshot our top five selections. Read on for our detailed review of eight great options.
View On Amazon → View On Amazon → View On Amazon → View On Amazon → View On Amazon →
The Most Recommended Upright Walkers for Seniors
Let’s get started! Here is our curated list of the best upright walkers for seniors.
#1 – ELENKER Upright Walker for Seniors
The ELENKER stand up walker is expressly designed to assist senior citizens and patients with disabilities to get around better. It ensures that the user has an upright posture, which relieves pain and pressure from the back, shoulders, neck, and wrists.
This rollator walker has two large 10″ front wheels and two 8″ rear wheels with an additional obstacle aid pedal. The 10″ front wheels make it a great upright walker for uneven surfaces as it can easily roll over inconsistencies on the ground. Its obstacle aid pedal is useful for when a wheel is stuck in a pothole or runs into objects in front of the walker.
It is a standard-sized walker with a padded seat made out of solid PU and nylon, which can be used to take breaks and rest while walking.
- An adjustable armrest tube (38″ to 45″) can adjust the padded armrest length and the holding angle, allowing the user to stand in a more natural position.
- Heavy-duty frame with a load capacity of 300 pounds.
- Ergonomic dual handbrakes serve as extra safety measures for an elderly user.
- 360° swivel wheels provide ease of movement and enhanced maneuverability.
- Does not require any assembly.
- Large 10 inch front wheels for a smoother walk.
- Folding design makes this upright walker portable and easy to store.
- The seat must be locked on before sitting, otherwise, the walker will collapse.
- This walker has a fairly lightweight design, which makes for easier handling, but that is also a compromise that makes for a walker that requires a bit more care when using on rougher surfaces to ensure that it is stable.
Why is the ELENKER Upright Walker our top choice?
The ELENKER Upright Walker, Stand... is our top choice for the best upright walker for seniors. With its excellent design, elderly folk can regain their confidence when moving and lose their fear of falling when they walk.
- Very stable and sturdy, allowing the user to maintain a great balance.
- Preliminary clinical studies show the use of this walker results in a better walking posture, reduced pain in the back, arms, legs, wrists, and joints, and an increase in stability and balance.
- Has height-adjustable armrests that reduce the stress on arms while using the walker. This means the user can use the walker for longer periods of time.
- Has a weight capacity of up to 300 pounds, which is as much as any of the other great walkers on our list.
- Lockable hand brake serves as a very important safety feature allowing the user to stop, slow down, and even park the walker safely.
- Its very comfortable seat can be used to sit down or relax on after getting tired of walking. This gives seniors a chance to regain their stamina.
You may also like Best Walker Glides for Concrete Surfaces
#2 – Upwalker Upright Walker For Seniors
The Upwalker upright walker has a very ergonomic design. It has padded handlebars, making the transition from sitting to standing and vice versa as easy as possible. The walker also has a padded seat with a comfortably padded backrest that slides in front for sitting and can slide back to support walking.
The frame of the Upwalker is lightweight and can be easily folded, making the walker ideal for storage and transportation. The frame has a weight capacity of up to 300 pounds.
This detailed video gives a complete demo of how easy it is to unbox and set up the Walker:
- Ergonomic handbrakes ensure the ultimate safety of the user.
- Adjustable height armrests provide better arm support as well as upper torso support.
- No assembly required, as it arrives fully assembled.
- Multi-terrain large 8-inch wheels are suitable for driving on all types of surfaces.
- Can support user weight up to 300 pounds.
- Includes three free accessories: a personal bag item, a beverage holder, and a detachable backrest.
- It can be wide or large for smaller individuals. If you are smaller in build, you can consider the alternative Upwalker Lite below.
- A 23 pound walker is on the heavier side for maneuverability and may be too heavy for some users.
You may also like Best Hemi Walkers for Seniors
#3 – Upwalker Lite Upright Walker
The Upwalker Lite is the lighter version of the very popular Upwalker Lite Upright Walker shown in our previous entry. Slightly less expensive than its full feature counterpart, this upright walker packs a strong punch in a small package.
It weighs only 15.5 pounds and has an extremely compact design. It is a particularly easy-to-maneuver upright walker, whether you are using it indoors or outside, making it a great walker to use in tight spaces. Users looking for a lighter walker will want to strongly consider this one. With that said, the Upwalker Lite is intended for people with a smaller frame. It is ideal for users between 4’7″ and 5’10” in height.
Additionally, the adjustable armrests and padded seat with a detachable backrest take care of your comfort while you are out and about.
This video below shows the Upwalker Lite in action:
- Very lightweight walker as it just weighs about 15.5 pounds, which ties the spot for our lightest walker with a seat.
- Makes for easier portability before and after use.
- For its light frame, it still supports up to 300 pounds of weight.
- With its light weight, can be maneuvered through tighter spaces with relative ease.
- Relatively more affordable.
- Built with the intention of creating a sturdy frame with less weight, but some users may still find it to be not sturdy enough.
- May not be suitable for larger individuals due to its light frame. Larger individuals are encouraged to consider the Upwalker Standard model in our previous entry.
You may also like How Much do Walkers Cost?
#4 – Oasisspace Upright Rollator Walker
Inability to walk on their own without any support can take a toll on the seniors’ confidence. With the Oasisspace Upright Walker, elderly can start getting around more and work on getting their freedom back. This has a very simple and convenient design, which instills the user with confidence and serves will to improve their balance.
This walker has a special folding design, which takes less space while storing and is suitable for traveling. It also comes with a very strong dual brake, which is easy to use and prevents seniors from falling. The user has to push the brake forward to slow down or to stop. It also has adjustable armrests which have a height change range of 39″ to 46″.
- The Oasisspace Upright Walker is a narrow walker which is door friendly, which many traditional stands-up walkers are not.
- The front wheels are 10 inches wide, and the rear wheels are 8 inches wide, and all four of them have a swivel design to increase mobility. Larger wheels make it easier to maneuver over obstacles.
- Walker’s sturdy frame is made of high-quality aluminum, making it sturdy and stable.
- The maximum load capacity of the walker is 300 pounds.
- Walker has a comfortable, removable seat, which also has an attached large storage bag. It is durable and waterproof and can be used to store essential supplies.
- Seat height is only 21 inches off the ground, which is one of the lower walker seats on our list. This can potentially allow for more ease when sitting down and standing up.
- At 25 pounds, this is the heaviest walker on our list. Note that some users may like a slightly heavier walker for the added stability. Others may find that it can be a bit cumbersome to move around.
- The walker may not be tall enough for taller individuals, especially users taller than 5’11.
You may also like Best Narrow Walkers for Seniors
#5 – Beyond Walker Upright Walker for the Elderly
The Beyond Walker upright walker is a very solid option for seniors and disabled individuals. It is a lightweight folding walker of 22 pounds, making it easy to transport and portable. The upright walker also has a strong frame for its light weight, with a load capacity of 300 pounds.
The wheels of the walker are suitable to drive over any terrain. It has two front wheels that are 10″ inches in diameter and 2 rear wheels that are 8″ inches in diameter. They have an ergonomic design that prevents them from tipping over and a 360°swivel design for easy maneuverability.
- This walker’s additional free accessories are a cane or umbrella holder, as well as a removable nylon bag.
- Soft padded cushion height-adjustable armrests have a height change range of 39″ to 46″.
- Its frame has seven different height levels, which makes the walker highly adjustable.
- Threshold air pedal allows the users to go over obstacles and thresholds easily.
- Ergonomic loop hand brakes with dual stopping power protect the elderly from any mishaps.
- Seniors may find it challenging when initially assembling this walker.
- May be too narrow and small to fit a larger individual.
You may also like The Best Rollator Walker for a Tall Person
#6 – Upright Posture Walker for the Elderly
The Upright Posture Walker is a top-notch upright walker with solid features. With large 8 inch wheels, it is suitable to drive on all types of terrains.
This solid walker greatly helps the mobility and posture of the user, and seniors using this walker may feel less fatigue and pain in their joints, including in the back, neck, and shoulders. This is an great option for both outdoor and indoor activities and has a backrest support that straightens the user’s back when sitting down.
- Lockable handbrakes are easy to use and make the walker safer.
- Very lightweight walker as it just weighs about 15.5 pounds, which ties the spot for our lightest walker with a seat.
- Despite its light weight, it is still advertised to support up to 300 pounds of weight.
- Seat height is on the lower side at 21.5 inches, which can make it convenient to sit down and stand up from.
- Compact and easy to transport.
- A highly durable and stable frame increases the balancing ability of the user.
- Does not require any assembly as it comes pre-assembled.
- It also has an additional cup holder and storage bag.
- The walker may be short for very taller individuals. It may be suitable for users no taller than 5’10 at most.
- Warranty is lifetime for the frame, but only 6 months for the other components and accessories.
You may also like How to Protect Hardwood Floors from Walkers
#7 – Silenflow Upright Walker for Seniors
The Silenflow Upright Walker is another excellent standing walker for senior, allowing users to stand with their shoulders and arms relaxed. It has adjustable armrests so that the user can adjust the armrest height to their wrists’ height, which allows for less fatigue and strain.
The upright walker leg height is also adjustable with just the push of a button. It’s height changes from 42.5 to 45.6 inches, and with a high maximum load capacity of 300 points, it is suitable for most people.
- Padded and comfortable armrests allow the user to maintain their focus in front of them.
- Provides comfortable neck, shoulder, and upper torso support.
- Its special compact design makes the walker foldable and reduces the walker’s width, making it easy to carry and transport.
- Additional removable shopping bag for storing items.
- Easy lock hand brakes are easy to use yet very effective.
- Strong backrest protects seniors from back-related issues when sitting.
- The weight of the walkerl can be on the heavier side for elderly folks to lift.
- At 24.5 inches in total width, the walker may be too wide to pass through narrower doors.
You may also like How To Use A Rolling Walker Properly
#8 – Xrx Foldable Upright Walker for Seniors
The Xrx stand up walker is final upright walker on our list and a unique one. It is the only walker on our list with no seat, so those needing a seat with their walker should consider one of the other many options. Regardless, this is a well-designed walker that is particularly lightweight, making it very easy to maneuver for elders. In fact, without the seat, it is the lightest upright walker in our selection.
The walker has a dual hand grip design to make balancing easier. These handles provide additional support to the user during the transition from sitting to standing and vice versa. The walker also has additional forearm support, which relieves fatigue and stress and allows the user to relax.
- The walker has a maximum load capacity of 250 pounds.
- Very strong and durable frame made out of solid steel pipes.
- Simplistic, easy to fold and unfold design, allowing for hassle-free usability.
- Handles as well as legs have adjustable height settings of up to 10 levels.
- Wheels have high-quality hand brakes for safety.
- Also includes personal items bag for storing necessary items.
- Partly due to its lack of seat, this walker is the lightest on our list at only 13 pounds.
- The only walker in our selection with a lack of a seat.
- Perhaps due to its low weight, it supports 250 pounds, which will be plenty for many users, but is the lowest weight capacity on our list.
- Wheels are only 4 inches in diameter, making it more difficult to maneuver over obstacles and rougher grounds. This walker has the smallest wheels of any walker in our selection.
You may also like Walker, Crutches, or Cane after Hip Replacement – What to Use?
Features of a Great Upright Walker
The ideal walker must have large and sturdy wheels that can sustain plenty of downwards pressure and not break. These wheels must also be suitable to roll over all kinds of surfaces. They should have decent width and diameter to avoid getting stuck in potholes. Larger front wheels tend to be around 10 inches in diameter.
Portability is an essential feature of the great stand-up walker. The walker should have a compact design narrow enough to pass through narrow spaces and doors.
A folding design is also helpful for storing the walker and transporting it from one place to another. The process of folding and unfolding the walkers should be easy and simple.
Upright walkers can range anywhere from 15 pounds to 25 pounds as demonstrates by the choices on our shortlist.
This feature is likely going to be one of the most subjective, as some users will prefer a lighter walker that can be maneuvered more easily, whereas other users may prefer the added stability and reassurance of having a heavier walker.
Generally, lighter individuals will find lighter walkers to be suitable, while larger individuals will prefer heavier walkers.
A great walker is height customizable so that it can fit people of all different sizes.. The walker’s legs should be height adjustable, and the armrests should have both adjustable height and length.
The frame of a walker is the main support of the walker. It should have a sturdy build quality and be constructed of durable materials like aluminum or steel.
The walker’s frame should be solid enough to bear the weight of the person without tipping over or breaking down. A sturdy frame largely diminishes the possibility of any accidents and mishaps.
The following video presented by licensed physical therapists demonstrates which walkers are best for different kinds of people.
You may also like Different Types of Walking Assistance Devices
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Who should use a rollator walker?
Rollator walkers and other upright walkers are suitable for the elderly and people who have difficulties while walking and standing. It is for people who can not maintain their balance while standing and cannot walk without any external help or support.
Q. Can a rollator or walker be used as a wheelchair?
No, a walker cannot be used as a wheelchair, but they have removable and convertible seats, which can be used to sit and relax on.
Q. What are the benefits of using a walker?
There are plenty of merits that come with using a walker, including improving the posture, balance, and stability of the user. A walker that allows the user to stand up straight also prevents back-related issues as the elderly are more prone to such problems.
Q. Is it better to walk with a cane or a walker?
Canes help people who have side problems such as legs or arms, whereas walkers help people who have neck, shoulder, wrists, or back-related issues.
Q. Is there any variability in the seat between different walkers?
Almost every upright walker available comes with a standard seat size of about 18 inches in width by 10 inches in depth, and 21-24 inches in height from the ground. The minor differences will come in the material of the seat (often mesh or fabric) and the weight capacity of the walker.
Q. Is an upright walker covered by Medicare?
As of October 2019, the UPWalker is not covered by Medicare as its suppliers are not funded by the program. Other upright walkers may be covered under Medicare, so you’ll want to check to see that your specific walker meets the criteria for Medicare coverage.
You might also like to read about: Trays and Baskets for Walkers
Parting Words: Walking Assistance, Relaxation, Overall Companion
An upright walker is a fantastic mobility device for our elderly loved ones as it helps them to live a confident and independent life. It promotes correct and upright posture and provides important assistance for those with neurological, cardiovascular, or pulmonary diseases. If your loved ones experience regular wrist, back, and leg pain due to the use of conventional walkers and rollators, consider buying an upright walker for them.
In this article, we have selected the best upright walkers for seniors based on the features mentioned in our buyer’s guide and the ratings and comments mentioned by real users from Amazon.
In our opinion, the UPWalker Original Upright... is the best choice among the various options that we have considered because of its several user-friendly features such as padded and height-adjustable armrests, hand brakes, adjustable seat and backrest, all-terrain 8-inch rubber wheels, and a special, patented upright design.
If you are looking for a value for money option, you can also consider the Robert Jamison Stand up Walker... , which offers great value and features at a very reasonable price point. The compact folding feature is especially noteworthy.
While we make every effort to provide updated and correct information, the advice given in this article and website should not be construed as “medical advice”. Please consult with your physician or medical practitioner before using any upright walkers. Each individual may have his or her unique case issues and your medical practitioner will be able to provide expert advice on a suitable assistive device to suit your specific needs.
We cover a wide range of mobility devices on our website. You might be interested in reading:
- Best Mobility Scooters for Outdoors
- Best Lightweight Transport Wheelchairs
- Best Power Wheelchairs for Outdoor Use