We have reviewed the best umbrellas for wheelchairs. If you are in a hurry, the table below gives a quick snapshot of the top 6.
Last update 2021-07-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update 2021-07-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Life for the approximately 2.7 mn  people in a wheelchair isn’t easy. Apart from the burden of disability, you also lose your independence. For many everyday activities, you need the help of others.
Thankfully, wheelchair designers, these days have tried to accommodate as many accessories as possible to make your life independent. One of these accessories is a wheelchair umbrella.
Come rain or shine, an umbrella can be an all-weather friend. It can save you from both the UV rays of the sun and the sudden outpouring of rain.
If you are looking to buy a wheelchair umbrella, we have listed some of the best products available in the market here.
Our top Choice- Sport Brella Umbrella With Adjustable Clamp
The Sport-Brella Versa-Brella SPF... is our top choice for the best umbrellas for wheelchairs.
This sporty little umbrella is actually meant for golf carts, but when we tell you about its features, you will agree with us that it is simply perfect for a wheelchair!
- It has a non-conventional design that is elongated at one end (instead of circular design). This means the legs and feet of the wheelchair user will also be protected by this umbrella
- The umbrella is lined with UPF 50+ material, which protects the user from UVA and UVB rays of the sun
- The canopy cover is very durable. It can withstand strong winds and storms.
- A universal clamp-on this umbrella allows it to be connected to any surface – square or tubular, which is why this umbrella can also be used on wheelchairs
- It also has a 4-way, 360-degree swivel which means that the umbrella can be rotated in any direction the sun is in.
- It has 2 push button hinges to control the swivel, which are easy to operate by the wheelchair user himself, without needing any help from others.
- It weighs on 1.8 pounds and can be carried with you anywhere easily.
- There is even a 1-year manufacturer warranty on the product
Best Umbrellas For Wheelchairs
#1 Sammons Preston Wheelchair Umbrella
The Sammons Preston wheelchair umbrella has a very vibrant and cool color range. These cool colors help to withstand the heat sometimes. It is the ideal fit for all weather as it even protects its user from rain and snow. The wheelchair umbrella has a universal fit making it suitable for all types of wheelchairs and strollers.
The elderly, disabled, and even handicaps find this umbrella very functional and useful in their wheelchairs. It has a highly adjustable clamping system that allows easy installation and provides cover for the wheelchair occupant. The length of the umbrella stem is 36 inches, which increases to 40 inches when fully open. It does not require any assembly and is good to go as it is.
- The umbrella is collapsible, which makes it easy to store and more portable
- It has a universal clamp size suitable to clamp on wheelchairs, strollers, walkers, rollators, prams, bicycles, and so on.
- The umbrella is pretty lightweight, with its weight just being 12 ounces.
- The handle of the umbrella is short.
- The umbrella stem may get bent with strong wind.
#2 Sport Brella Umbrella With Adjustable Clamp
The Sport Brella umbrella has a very stylish as well as modern looking umbrella. Apart from this, it is very effective and functional also. It is the perfect umbrella for any outdoor activity. It has a special coating that protects its users from SPF 50 UV rays. The umbrella blocks 99.5% of UVA and UVB rays. Its clamp is universal and can attach itself to most of the surfaces. The user can freely do their outdoor chores without even holding the umbrella.
It has a special four-way swiveling design, which ensures protection from all angles; moreover, it’s design is also ultra-aerodynamic which does not hinder the movement of any wheelchair, bicycle, motor, and so on. Its clamp can attach to both squares as well as tubular surfaces.
- The umbrella has a wide span of 3.4′ length and 3.5′ breadth with 36″ stem length.
- It is very portable and has a compact design, which makes it easy to store and carry around.
- The weight of the umbrella is 1.8 pounds, which is lighter than the traditional models.
- A solid steel frame provides it with durability and reliability.
- The clamp can get stuck if it is roughly used.
- The length of the stem may be too short for some people.
Here we have a video featuring Sport-Brella Versa-Brella.
You may also like to read about the best gloves for wheelchair users.
#3 GNSDA Clamp-On Shade Umbrella
The GNDDA shade umbrella is a multi-purpose umbrella with a universal clamp. The clamp can latch onto many surfaces such as wheelchair handles, wagons, cart, shopping cart, golf cart, strollers, and so on. It has a special silver line coating, which blocks 99.5% of UVA and UVB rays; moreover, it also prevents damage to the UV rays’ eyes and skin.
It has a very stretchable and durable polyester fabric. The fabric of the umbrella is all weatherproof. The umbrella provides a platform for the users to remain outside without fear of sun rays and the heat. The umbrella is pretty portable and lightweight as it’s weight is just under 2 pounds.
- The umbrella has a flexible shaft, which makes it difficult to break.
- Heavy duty clamp ensures a secure grip on all types of handles and handlebars.
- It has a fine solid steel frame of length 65 cm, which reaches the proper height to protect from rain or sun.
- It can be a bit flimsy under harsh conditions.
- Only available in a single color option.
#4 SolPro Clamp-On Shade Umbrella
The SolPro clamp umbrella has a very sporty and artsy look to it. It has a pretty wide coverage area of 30″ ×40″ this allows the umbrella to cover more body parts. The more the body parts it covers, the more the protection from harmful substances. It has a superior quality fabric, which is suitable for rough usage.
The umbrella has a 360° swivel design with two push-button hinges. These hinges help adjust the size of the umbrella. It specializes in providing all-round protection from the harsh weather conditions. The frame of the umbrella is sturdy and firm and is easily able to withstand high wind pressure.
- Instant shade and protection from all types of weathers.
- 4-way swiveling design allowing 360° coverage.
- Lightweight and portable only weighs about 1.85 pounds.
- Strong winds can cause the umbrella to fall.
- Assembling the umbrella can be a little difficult.
You may also like to read about the best transport wheelchairs.
#5 Tanchen Rain Umbrellas
They are elderly-friendly rain umbrellas that can easily attach to the scooters, strollers, walkers, and even wheelchairs. The main material for the umbrella is a durable and strong mixture of stainless steel and ABS plastic. Its adjustable height range is between 27-47 cm. It has a flexible joint arm, which allows the user to adjust the positioning.
It has a simple and ergonomic design which the elderly find easy to use and understand. The holder umbrella also has a compact design, making it ideal for transporting from one place to another. This feature also helps in solving the storage problem of the bulky traditional umbrellas. They are very difficult to store properly and often sustain a lot of damage while storing.
- Universal clamp fits the majority of handles and handlebars.
- Ultra UV and SPF protection.
- Durable fabric able to withstand a high degree of wear and tear.
- No need for any external assembly tools and help.
- The umbrella is a bit heavy with its weight being 280 grams.
- Does not include and instruction manual.
Best Umbrella Holders for Wheelchairs
If you have the perfect umbrella already, but no way to mount it, then worry not, we have you covered there as well! Below, we have brought you our choice of best umbrella holders for wheelchairs.
#6 Linkertech Holder Umbrella Bar
The Linkertech holder umbrella bar is easily attachable to a bicycle, motorcycle, wheelchair, golf cart, and so on. Its design is very simple and functional; this makes the product ideal for the elderly.
The umbrella bar is easy to mount on handles such as bicycle handles, bike handles, wheelchair handles, etc. So it gives an added advantage to elder people to use this umbrella bar according to their convenience.
It has a height-adjustable stem and joint, which allows the user to adjust the umbrella at any angle. This feature makes the umbrella suitable for any time of the day as it can adjust to the sun rays’ angle.
The umbarella holder is very steady and durable, and it can withstand high pressures of wind. The main material in the umbrella is a premium quality ABS and aluminum.
- This umbrella bar is really easy to mount on the handlebar of a wheelchair. It has a simple stem and joint design.
- It features a height-adjustable stem and joint system which makes it very easy to adjust the incline of the umbrella in the direction of the sun or rain
- The umbrella bar is made of aluminum and ABS material, which means that it will last for a really long time.
- It is a steady and durable umbrella bar, which will hold a fixed position even when the wheelchair is in motion
- The umbrella bar weighs only 200 grams, and does not add much to the weight of the wheelchair
- Linkertech is a brand known for its quality and high-performance products.
- It cannot be mounted on a rollator walker.
- Attaching and removing the umbrella can be a hassle.
- It does not come with any instruction manual.
You may also like to read about the best power wheelchairs for outdoor use.
#7 Yobee Umbrella Mount Holder
The Yobee umbrella mount holder is a very simple attach/detach clamp for wheelchairs, strollers, bicycles, walkers, rollators, pram, motorcycles, and so on. The design of the umbrella keeps it steady and firm while on a wheelchair or a bicycle. The umbrella quality is very high, and it can last long, even with a lot of wear and tear. It blocks all the harmful SPF from the sun.
The process of setting up the umbrella is very easy and can be done in 4 simple steps. This simple process saves a lot of precious time, which traditional umbrellas take to setup. It is a durable and reliable mixture of stainless steel and ABS plastic.
- No need for extra tools or help to attach or detach the umbrella.
- The holder has a special anti-slip rubber which enhances the grip of the holder on to the handlebar.
- The holder also has a feature that allows adjusting the height of the umbrella. The user can make the umbrella pole high or short by just pulling the pole.
- It is very lightweight with just 180 grams, and it does not exert any extra pressure on the wheelchair user or the bicycle user.
- The height of the umbrella can be a little short for some users.
- There are tiny screws in the clamp which might come off if not taken proper care
What should you look for before buying the Best Umbrellas For Wheelchairs?
The Ideal holder umbrella should have a versatile or universal clamp which is suitable to latch on to all types of handlebars. It should have a wide mouth so than it can have a firm and steady grip on thin and thick bars. The grip of the umbrella plays an important role in ensuring it’s durability. A good grip can increase the longevity of the product.
It should also have a good protection system from all kinds of weather such as snow, ice, hailstorm, sunrays, and so on. There are umbrellas available in the market which have a special UV protection silver lining as they can block up to 99.5% of UV rays. The material of the umbrella should also be heat repellent instead of heat-absorbing. This feature helps to fight the scorching heat of the summer.
Portability and lightweight
Portability and lightweight are also two very important features that an ideal umbrella must possess. Portability allows the user to store the umbrella easily in tight spaces such as storage cupboards, garage, car trunks, and so on. It is important for the elderly that the umbrellas they are carrying are light and do not exert any unnecessary strain and pressure.
Frequently Asked Questions: Best Umbrellas For Wheelchairs
Q: How to install an umbrella in the wheelchair?
This is an easy process, which can be done in four simple ways: put the holder on the handle or handlebar to clamp the umbrella. Then tighten the screw and press the button to lock the mechanism at that point. Rotate the second bolt to adjust the umbrella height.
Q: Can we attach the umbrella on wooden chairs, and will it tilt?
Yes, the user can attach the umbrella onto chairs like wooden chairs, beach chairs, benches, etc. No, the umbrella should not tilt because of the wind if the clamping is done properly.
Q: Can this work on a Walker for an adult?
Yes, this can easily work on a Walker for an adult with some minor tweaks and modifications to the clamp size. Apart from this, the same can also work for rollator and wheelchairs.
An umbrella for the wheelchair can can improve the quality of life for a wheelchair laden person immensely. It can protect them from the elements and also free up their hands for other things. It is a perfect gift for them!
In this article, we have selected the best umbrellas for wheelchairs based on the features mentioned in our buyer’s guide and the ratings and comments mentioned by actual users on Amazon.
In our opinion, the Sport-Brella Versa-Brella SPF... is the best choice among the various options that we have considered because it is perfect for all the wheelchairs, rich in features and serves the purpose.
If you are looking for a value for money option, you can also consider the Nakazawa Baby Stroller... , which offers great value and features at a very reasonable price point.
You may also like to read about other accessories for wheelchairs, such as the best bags for wheelchairs and walkers or, if you are uncomfortable in your wheelchair and are looking for a good cushion you can read our review of the best wheelchair cushions.