We have reviewed the best Stairmaster machine for home. If you are in a hurry, the table below gives a quick snapshot of the top 5.
Last update 2021-12-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update 2021-12-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Are you planning to shed some weight, or to start a fitness regime at home, and are confused about where to start with so many choices available? If yes, then we think we can help you out.
There are innumerable fitness machines in the market, promising good health and positive results in just a few days. But very few are true to the promises. Some have great reviews; others have great features, who are you to believe?
The benefits of Stair climbing have been well documented in research. Who can forget Sylvester Stallone’s famous stair climbing scene from Rocky? It was the epitome of athlete training for us.
But most of us don’t have access to the Philadelphia museum of art and history’s beautiful facade for our everyday exercise, and neither do we have the stamina to climb those many stairs in a single go.
Instead, let’s start small, with the humble Stairmaster. A Stairmaster is one of the best low impact and beneficial workout equipment for home use. It is a simple device that lets us get all the fun and exercise of stair climbing without having to step out of our home.
We have put together this article to provide you all the necessary information on what a Stairmaster is, its benefits, uses, and features to look for based on our research and learnings.
What is a Stairmaster and what does it do?
A Stairmaster is a unique fitness machine, which you must have seen in your gym. The device mimics walking up a flight of stairs, albeit you can do it infinitely. It is an ergonomically designed home fitness machine that uses a resistance piston system, which reduces the risk of impact on your knee and leg joints.
When you walk upstairs, you put pressure on your joints. But a Stairmaster is specifically designed to reduce this impact and while giving you all of the health benefits of climbing the stairs.
Why not just climb stairs? Why a Stairmaster?
As mentioned above, a Stairmaster puts less strain on your joints so that you can walk up and down comfortably. There are some more benefits of using a Stairmaster over a staircase at home.
- Staircases aren’t private. Other people would also be using them. If you have a narrow staircase, you don’t want to keep blocking the path for other people.
- You can watch TV and do other things while using a Stairmaster, but you can’t do all this on an actual staircase.
- Carpeted and wooden staircases can be a major fall risk if you use1zaaaaAa them frequently
- Walking up the stairs is what gives you real health benefits. With a Stairmaster, you don’t have to expend your energy on walking down.
You may also like How to Get a Wheelchair Up and Down Stairs
Health benefits of using a Stairmaster
- Calorie burning – You can quickly burn 250 calories by using a Stairmaster for only 20 minutes a day. The actual figure varies, but as an average, that is quite impressive.
- Healthier bones – The up and down movement can reduce your risk of osteoporosis and also help increase your bone density if you already have it. Osteoporosis is a major scourge, especially amongst women above the age of 65.
- Stronger calf muscles – We have many muscles in our legs, but the calf muscle is what allows us to walk, run, and jump. The muscle also helps us to maintain the balance of our body. When we climb up and down, our calf muscle is compressed and expanded, making it stronger.
- Aerobic conditioning- Aerobic exercise gives us significant benefits for the heart and lungs. A stronger lung allows you to breathe in more oxygen, and a healthier heart pumps more oxygen-rich blood across the body. Using the Stairmaster helps improve your heart and lung function.
The video below shows how to replace the hydraulic cylinder on your stepper.
Things to consider before you buy a Stairmaster machine
In recent years, Stairmasters have become quite popular as a low impact aerobic exercise that gives tremendous benefits to us. We list below some important features to consider when comparing models from several manufacturers
Stepper and twister
There are many types of Stairmaster available in the market. A stepper and twister give you the dual benefit of cardiovascular impact through stepping and flexibility enhancement due to twisting action.
Some machines come with an in-built digital monitor that tracks your real-time performance and records your exercise time, movement frequency, total count, and calories burnt. This can be a useful feature to track your performance
You may also like How to Make Stairs Safer for Elderly
Many Stairmasters come with a resistance band, which helps you exercise your arms, shoulders, chest, and back while exercising your legs. Hence, it is a great feature to look for.
Most people prefer buying a Stairmasters because it occupies significantly less space and is convenient to move from one place to another. Therefore when you buy a Stairmaster, do consider its size. Make sure that the model you are purchasing is compact enough to fit in your home gym.
Look for the durability of the product. When you buy a Stairmaster, don’t forget to look at the material with which it is made. Always buy a Stairmasters made of sturdy material such as steel or iron, which will last longer.
You may also like Best Stair Chair Lift For Seniors
Stability and anti-skid
The base frame of the Stairmaster should be heavy and made of high-quality material. This feature makes the stepper stable and gives it a longer life.
The paddles of the machine should be made of tough and anti-skid material. It prevents the stepper from slipping. Also, the rubber casing at the bottom of the steps, and the base reduces damage on the floor.
The Stairmaster has a hydraulic cylinder and spring installed in it. Ensure that the hydraulic cylinder is made of high-quality material, and the spring provides a better cushioning effect.
This ensures stability, safety, and better exercising experience. Also, the machine comes with an adjusting knob, which adjusts the height of pedals according to your need, so look for it.
Comfortable foot pedals
As mentioned earlier, the foot pedals must be made of sturdy and anti-skid material, which prevents accidents. Some materials provide massage to your feet when you exercise without shoes. It might be useful to look out for such padding, esp if you intend to spend a long time on the Stairmaster.
You may also like Best Slip Free Strips and Treads for Indoor Stairs
Best Stairmaster Machine For Home
#1 LeikeeFitness Stepper Machine
Leikee fitness stepper machine is specifically designed to do fruitful workouts at home. Exercising regularly on these machines enhances cardiovascular fitness, burn calories, and provides a low impact workout.
This portable stair stepper is a 2-in-1 machine with which you can do two types of motion: up, down, and side to side. 10 minutes on this Stairmaster is equivalent to running for 30 minutes.
The pedals of the machine are covered with anti-skid material and are of a wide base so that you can confidently exercise without fear of falling down or sliding off.
The stepper only weighs 19 pounds and is very compact. You can carry this machine with you wherever you go to get good exercise at any time during the day.
The stepper can support a weight of 220 pounds and has an in-built LCD monitor for scanning your stepping time, step count and calories burnt
- Leikee fitness stepper machine is an equipment designed for effective home workouts.
- Anti-skid pedals with large base make them safe
- The device has an LCD monitor for tracking calories, time, and step counts on the screen.
- The stepper can be used in up and down as well as side to side motion
- It weighs only 19 pounds and can be carried around easily
- The device can support a maximum weight of 220 pounds.
- The model doesn’t have the resistance adjustment function.
- The cylinder begins to squeak when it needs oil.
You may also like Are Treadmills Safe for Elderly?
#2 Outtive Mini Stepper Fitness Stair
This stepper fitness stair is an ideal fitness tool for your home. The portable twist stair stepper can be used both for up-down motion as well as side to side motion, giving you dual benefits. This product weighs only 12.3 pounds and takes up very little space in your home, therefore being both portable as well as compact.
The fitness stair gives a perfect shape to your arms, hips, waist, legs. It provides confidence to get a perfect and toned figure.
The foot pedals are made in a way to provide comfort during workout. The ABS material makes it anti-slip and perfect for daily use. The uniquely designed hydraulic cylinder provides a better cushioning effect.
There is a protective rubber casing on the base of the stepper, which prevents floor damage. The equipment features a digital monitor to track all your key statistics. This monitor makes an accurate record of exercise time and calories.
There is a resistance band included with the stepper, which can be combined with the machine to do several exercises.
- The hydraulic cylinder makes the stepper stable and smooth.
- A real-time digital monitor enables full control over daily activities.
- It features an adjustable knob, which can set the height of the pedals as per your needs.
- The fitness stepper comes up with protective rubber casing.
- The pedal coating is ABS material, very comfortable as well as anti-slip
- Sometimes the machine faces the problem of oil leakage.
- Its weight holding capacity is unknown.
#3 Grapefruit Portable Resistance Stairstepper
The grapefruit stair stepper is perfect exercising equipment for home workouts.The product is equipped with an attractive LED monitor, which can record exercise time, movement, calories burnt and step count, giving you a complete picture of your physical activity.
There is an additional resistance band that is provided along with the Stairmaster, which can be used for exercising your arms and upper body while you indulge in stepping.
The stepper also comes with an additional anti-slip mat which can be placed under the machine for a better grip on the floor.
The device uses an advanced hydraulic system that protects your joints from impact while keeping the device smooth and silent.
There are ABS soft pads on the foot pedals, which are anti-slip and moisture resistant The steps are easy to detach and clean.
The device weighs about 17 pounds, making it light and portable. It can bear a weight of upto 330 pounds.
- The grapefruit stair stepper features an additional resistance band, which can be used to stretch out your arms, shoulders, and upper body.
- LED smart display records calories burnt, steps taken and movement frequency
- The anti-skid and moisture resistant pads on the pedals make the device comfortable to step on and avoids accumulation of sweat during summers
- The pedals are easily detachable which helps in cleaning the device.
- An additional anti-slip pad is thoughtfully provided so that it can give additional traction to the base of the machine and prevent it from slipping and damaging your floor
- Users cannot use just one pedal at a time.
- No twist function on this stepper
- The cylinder needs regular oiling.
You may also like Best Ellipticals for the Elderly
#4 Xiser Commercial Mini Stair Master
Xiser mini stairmaster is a perfect tool for cardiovascular workout and daily exercise. The machine has been ergonomically designed for easy stepping.
This is one of the lightest stairmasters in the market, coming in at only 13.5 pounds. The Stairmaster can be assembled and disassembled within minutes. These features mean that the device can be carried easily with you anywhere you go.
The Xiser can carry a load of upto 400 pounds, one of the highest in the market. It is one of the very few stairmasters that can be used for sprint training and aerobic protocols as well.
- Xiser mini Stairmaster can be used for aerobics and sprint training.
- The device is easy to assemble and disassemble, can be picked up and carried with you easily, and weighs only 13.5 pounds.
- It is ergonomically designed for comfortable stepping
- The device supports a maximum weight of 400 pounds, one of the highest in the industry
- The Xiser stairmaster often makes an annoying and terrible noise.
- The device does not have a twist function for stepping
- It is not designed to use while sitting.
#5 Sunny Health Fitness Equipment Resistance
The Sunny health and fitness stepper for home is a multipurpose device. There is a resistance band which is provided along with the Stairmaster so that you can do a full-body exercise while stepping on it. The machine also has a side-to-side twist function built-in, to give you a complete and holistic exercise for the body.
There is an advanced digital monitor that keeps an eye on daily counts, strides per minute, and calories. Effective monitoring lets you stay focussed on achieving your fitness goals.
There is a non – slip covering on the foot pedals to ensure the safety of the user. The foot pedals are wide and textured.
The device also has a hydraulic cylinder based exercise intensity adjustment mechanism for the foot pedals and can accommodate a weight of upto 220 pounds.
- Sunny health fitness equipment comes with removable resistance bands for a full-body workout, along with a twist motion while stepping
- Hydraulic piston aids in the smooth adjustment of exercise intensity
- The device features an LCD monitor to accurately track your daily activities.
- The foot pedals are wide, textured and non-slip for complete safety
- The product weighs only 15 pounds and can be carried around easily
- Cable and center wheel sometimes shakes from fiction.
- There is no adjustment feature for the height of the steps.
You may also like Best Resistance Magnetic Exercise Bike
#6 BalanceFrom Adjustable Stepper
The BalanceFrom Adjustable Stepper is an all purpose, complete exercise machine. Resistance bands are included in the machine, so that you can do full body exercise while stepping.
The machine has anti-slip foot pedals that keep you safe. The pedals can be adjusted for height easily so that you can customize your stepping experience as per your height.
The machine is constructed using high-quality steel and is very durable and reliable. It can carry a weight of upto 300 pounds, which is one of the height capacity amongst the machines in this lineup.
An LCD monitor is provided in the device, which can track various statistics such as steps, time and calories burnt, giving you a complete picture of your exercise regimen and giving you the right inputs for improving your fitness
- Comes equipped with resistance bands for a full-body workout
- Anti-slip mats on the foot pedals for traction and safety during exercise
- LCD monitor that features step count, time and calories burnt
- Wide foot pedals for easy stepping
- Height adjustment using a simple mechanical screw mechanism
- Weighs only 12.4 pounds, but can carry upto 300 pounds.
- Made from high-quality steel, durable and rust-resistant
- The height of the steps is too less as per a few customers
- Some users complained of a foul smell emanating from the machine.
Poor health and obesity are a pandemic that needs immediate attention. If you want to shed weight and start an exercise regimen but are confused with the number of options available, you might want to consider a Stairmaster.
In this article, we have selected the best Stairmaster machine for home based on the features mentioned in our buyer’s guide and the ratings and comments mentioned by actual users on Amazon.
In our opinion, the leikefitness Premium Portable Climber... is the best choice among the various options that we have considered because it is rich in features and fulfills the purpose.
If you are looking for a value for money option, you can also consider the Sunny Health & Fitness Mini Stepper... , which offers great value and features at a very reasonable price point.