In this article, we have reviewed the best shoe for hip pain. If you are in a hurry, the table below gives a quick snapshot. Or you can scroll down for detailed product reviews.
Last update 2021-07-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update 2021-07-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Sometimes, in the midst of our busy schedules, we tend to forget about the red flags that our body is giving to us about our health. The brain may trick us into thinking that muscle pain is only a short-term problem.
Hip pain is often ignored as the aftereffect of either too much walking or oversitting in the office, and you sort of expect it to go away by itself. However, hip pain can be an indication of much more serious issues and has the potential to stop us in our tracks.
Sometimes, hip pain can be so bad that people are not even able to walk properly. Climbing stairs or running becomes impossible. Hip pain may happen due to a strenuous exercise routine, but more often than not, it is the result of wearing the wrong shoe
Are you wondering how a shoe can affect your hip muscles? Here is how:
- Regular walking or running with unsupportive shoes will strain your feet. This will result in inflammation and pain in the cushioning of hip joints.
- Improper shoe design may make your feet roll inward during walking or running. This disturbs the alignment of the hips and causes excessive pain in both the hips and the legs.
- When there is a pain in the heel that gets left untreated, it may become chronic and affect your hips.
- In a worst-case scenario, you may have foot deformities due to the wrong shoe. Misalignments and incorrect placing of weight may start affecting the health of your hip.
Hip pain can be excruciating
What Should You Look For Before Buying the Best Shoe for Hip Pain?
With the huge variety of shoes of various shapes and features available in the market, it can be a daunting task to select the right shoe to keep your hips pain-free. We hope that the buyers’ guide below will equip you with the knowledge to select that perfect shoe.
Make sure that the shoes have ample cushioning to support your feet. They should be shock absorbent. When selecting a shoe, especially for hip pain it is important to have proper cushioning in the midsole and insole.
When the arch portion of your feet has ample support, you are unlikely to get hip pain. Always look for a design that provides arch support. These shoes will prove to be extremely comfortable when you try to run or walk briskly.
Maintain a Neutral Alignment
A wrong shoe can damage your heel by tilting it to either side. To understand if your current shoe is doing this, wear it and place your feet on a table with the heel facing toward you. If you see a tilt in the heel, it means that there are stability issues with the shoe.
When the heel tilts inwards, the condition is called overpronators. If you have an outward tilt, the condition is referred to as Supinators. Both conditions damage the alignment of your feet, giving joint, knee, and hip pain. Select a shoe that doesn’t give you tilt in the heel to save your legs from this damage.
You may also like Best Shoes for Aging Feet
Always look for shoes that are made from natural materials rather than opting for shoes made from synthetic materials.
Natural fabric is always breathable and keeps your feet well-aerated, helping any sweat which has accumulated to dry off, while also making sure that the likelihood of abrasions or rashes on your skin is limited.
Not all shoes can be as breathable as these! :-)
The Right Fit
A shoe must always fit you right. Not many of us can judge the fit of a shoe properly. While a smaller size is easy to figure out, a slightly bigger size goes neglected. However, both small, as well as large shoes, can alter the alignment of our feet, damaging them in the long run.
Here Is How You Can Test the Fitness of a Shoe
- Measure the feet at the end of the day when they are fully enlarged
- The shape of the shoe must resemble the shape of your feet.
- While standing with the shoe on, make sure that there is a half-inch difference between your longest toe and the end of the shoe.
- Stand and walk in the shoe and determine that it doesn’t rub you uncomfortably in any place. Also, make sure that the shoe must not slip or slide.
- Another common mistake that we make is to think that the shoe will eventually fit us after a bit of use. That is a wrong and dangerous idea. The shoe must fit well when purchased.
While durability has nothing to do with hip pain, it’s just common sense that if you are buying a good shoe, it should at least last for a good amount of time. You don’t want to spend all that time and research on a shoe and then end up having to discard it after 6 months.
You may also like Best Sandals for Seniors
The Best Shoe for Hip Pain
#1 JOOMRA Men’s Stylish Sneakers
These aesthetically pleasing and functional sneakers from Joomra are a must-buy for those looking out for a good shoe for hip pain. The rubber insoles provide great cushioning and a lot of comfort to you. You can easily feel the difference between this shoe and others when you walk around in a mall or a park.
Premium quality leather is used to make these shoes, which is a very breathable material and makes the shoe durable to boot (pun intended).
The shoes are designed so that the closely attached ankle provides the right support and bars feet from having any alignment issues. The shoe wraps beautifully around your feet and provides the most accurate fit—the leather overlays and the lacing system help enhance stability.
The blade rubber outsole renders a stylish look to the shoe and helps prevent chafing. Along with the design, the shoes also have a pop of color with red, white, and black soles.
- Lightweight shoes of only 3.9 oz per pair
- Has cushioning to provide support and absorb shock
- Blade outsole that helps in durability
- Lacing pattern for stability
- Ankles attached closely to stop any heel tilting
- The shoes may not be suitable for extensive sports activity
- People with large, wide feet may not fit in
You may also like Best Shoe for Heavy Runners
#2 Skechers Men’s Afterburn
Skechers are award-winning global leaders in lifestyle footwear. Skechers men’s afterburn shoes are no exception to the supreme quality that the brand provides. The high-quality memory foam in the shoe is perfect for absorbing shock and providing comfort to your feet.
The design is made with imported rubber used as insole and synthetic leather that wraps the shoe. The shoes have a mesh upper lacing that provides for excellent arch support. The beautiful designs are not only comfortable to wear but are also maintenance-free and can last for long without a trace of dust.
All in all, these are the most comfortable, breathable, maintenance-free, and affordable shoes that help you to walk without worrying about hip pain.
- Memory foam for cushioning and comfort
- Synthetic leather and rubber insole for the right fit
- Lace and mesh detailing on the body
- Affordable, stylish, and comfortable wear
- Comes from an award-winning brand
- The sizing is tricky as it may be large for the standard feet
- The memory is great but not durable
#3 Dr. Comfort Ruk Men’s Therapeutic Diabetic Extra Boot
Dr. Comfort brings you a twist to the classic boots. They are stylish, comfortable, and versatile shoes that help you run, walk, and even sprint. The shoes are crafted from leather and suede. Both are great fabrics for regulating heat and keeping your feet cool during long walks or summer months.
The toe box is extra firm and protects the shoe from any wear and tear. The insole is made out of rubber and foam that forms a well-cushioned footbed to absorb shock and relief from medical conditions like arthritis and diabetes.
Also, these shoes are roomy and come with gel inserts that are known for their comfort. Lastly, the shoes are also lightweight to wear.
- Extra-firm toe box for added protection
- Lightweight shoes
- Help in medical conditions including arthritis, diabetics, Plantar Fasciitis, Corns Calluses, Swollen Feet, etc.
- Gel insole for added comfort and shock absorption
- Lateral support and stability
- These shoes may make annoying noise within a few months of usage
- These are large shoes and may not be suitable for small feet
You may also like Best Shoe for Toe Runners
#4 Brooks Men’s Addiction Walker Walking Shoes
This shoe by Brooks is made entirely of leather. It is a very durable and low maintenance shoe. The outsole is synthetic and can withstand damages to a prolonged extent. It is also slip-resistant and therefore a very popular choice among runners.
The revolutionary BioMoGo DNA used for cushioning is an excellent material for arch support. It supports the midsole and provides incomparable support to your feet. Even the diagonal rollbar supports your arch as none other shoe does.
The shoe is available in a variety of sizes. The width sizing is very clearly defined, and one can choose according to one’s measurements. The available sizes are: D size that denotes maximum width, EE that is wide width, B is for narrow width, and EEE stands for extra width.
- Made of 100% leather
- Durable and maintenance-free
- A favorite shoe for runners
- BioMoGo midsole for excellent arch support
- The best shoe in the sizing
- There are no trendy designs in this shoe
- You may have to opt for an extra pair of padding
#5 ASICS Men’s Gel-Cumulus
The trendy shoes from ASICS are built to withstand extreme weather conditions. It helps you run on hard surfaces without feeling any pain due to the extraordinary comfort. It keeps out water from getting inside the shoe during rains yet helps keep the feet cold by letting it breathe.
The Flytefoam Propel Technology provides supreme bounce and helps to absorb shock without rendering paint to the joints or hip. The shoe is also crafted with an internal heel counter that keeps your feet in place and improves stability. The vertical flex groove helps to enhance the arch support of this shoe.
The ASICS Gel cumulus shoe is the favorite among runners because it keeps them moving even in the extreme weather. Also, the unique elastomer compound made in the USA or imported proves to be excellent in providing comfort.
- GORE-TEX upper body that is breathable and water-resistant
- Flytefoam Propel Technology that absorbs shock and renders comfort
- High abrasion rubber used to enhance the durability of the product
- Helps run on hard surfaces without pain
- The shoe is expensive
- Sizing is different from other brands
You may also like Best Shoes for Spinal Stenosis
Hip pain can be very excruciating and can cause all sorts of problems in your day-to-day activities. While there can be many reasons for hip pain, perhaps one of them that is easiest to control is wearing the wrong type of shoe.
All the shoes that we have mentioned above are suitable for people with hip pain and can help them carry out their daily chores with ease.
In this article, we have selected the best shoe for hip pain based on the features mentioned in our buyer’s guide and the ratings and comments mentioned by actual users on Amazon.
In our opinion, the Brooks Addiction Walker Black... is the best choice among the various options that we have considered because they are made of 100% leather.
This makes them durable and maintenance-free. Apart from that, they have great cushioning and arch support to relieve hip pain. Also, they are at an affordable price range and come with unique features.
If you are looking for a value for money option, you can also consider the Joomra Men Sneakers All Black... , which offers great value and features at a very reasonable price point.
While we make every effort to provide updated and correct information, the advice given in this article and website should not be construed as “medical advice”. Please consult with your physician or medical practitioner before using any shoe for hip pain. Each individual may have his or her unique issues and your medical practitioner is the best person to decide the best shoe for hip pain for your case.