We have reviewed the best segways or hoverboards for adults. If you are in a hurry, the table below gives a quick snapshot. Or you can scroll down for detailed product reviews.
Last update 2022-01-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
What we have come to know of as Segway is, in fact, a self-balancing electric transporter and Segway is the brand of a US-based company that builds this product. The name Segway has become synonymous with self-balancing devices as Segway controls a huge share of the market for these devices.
This article will discuss the self-balancing electric transporters in general, Segway specifically, and review some of the best Segway for adults, as well as a couple of similar products from other manufacturers.
Segway, specifically, and hoverboards, in general, have become very popular in the last decade. They are extremely helpful in covering short distances that are too long for a walk or too short for a drive.
Depending on battery power, it is not uncommon to see people commuting to the office on hoverboards and it will not be surprising to see them make better time to office on these devices, particularly in areas of high traffic – as hoverboard riders will use the pavement, among other pedestrians.
What is a Segway?
While Segway is a brand name, the device is actually a self-balancing electric transporter, also at times referred to as a hoverboard. It has two wide wheels and typically runs on a battery-powered motor.
Very easy to ride, the device was first invented by Dean Kamen and is manufactured by Segway Inc in the US and sold under the brand name of Segway. Sometimes, it may have a handlebar for comfort and support, many times hoverboards will not have that as they are not meant for long rides.
You may also like Best Electric Tricycles for Seniors
Is Segway Considered a Vehicle?
Segway or hoverboards are not considered vehicles in the United States, under federal law. As a result, these devices do not come under the purview of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
However, they are regulated by the US Consumer Product Safety Commission which ensures the safety standards of these devices. As a hoverboard user, you should always ensure to wear protective gear like kneecaps or a helmet to limit the impact due to possible accidents.
What to Look for While Buying a Segway?
- Engine power: Engine power will decide how much weight will the hoverboard be able to bear and how quick will be the pick-up in speed. Most hoverboards will have motors over 300 W to be able to carry adults
- Battery: The distance that the hoverboard will cover on one full charge depends primarily on the battery capacity, though it also depends on the terrain, slope, and weight of the user. Most hoverboards will allow you to travel for over 10 miles on one full charge
- Top speed: The top speed, of interest to only expert hoverboard users, ranges from 6 – 10 miles per hour
- Maximum Weight Load: This is important to you if you are on the heavier side. Most adult hoverboards allow weight-bearing capacity of up to 220 lbs or 100 kilograms.
Below, we have reviewed a few of the best Segway and hoverboards that are available on Amazon.
You may also like Best EMS Stair Chair
#1 Segway Self-Balancing S Smart Ninebot Electric Transporter
The most popular among the Segway models is this one, with its compact and lightweight design. The device weighs just about 28 lbs or just under 13 kilograms and can support user weight of up to 220 lbs.
The device is powered with dual 400 W motors and can reach a 10mph high speed and lets you scale ramps at up to 15 degrees elevation.
The larger tires of 10.5 inches offers you more comfortable rides on rough roads. Using the app that can be downloaded on your phone, you can easily lock your Segway, adjust light colors, upgrade the software and modify safety features.
As a further safety feature, the Segway offers the new rider tutorial through the phone app which limits the maximum speed of the device to 4.3 miles per hour till the tutorial is completed and up to 6. 2 miles per hour for the first 0.6 miles after the tutorial is completed.
The graded speed increase work best for you if this is your first hoverboard. Here we have a video that shows how to drive Segway Self-Balancing S Smart Ninebot Electric Transporter.
- Easy device control through phone app
- Lightweight device which is very easy to manoeuvre
- New rider tutorial is effective for new riders
- UL 2272 certified that ensures adherence to strict safety standards
- Periodic tire maintenance and inflation is required
- Abrupt speed reduction above 10.5 mph (as a safety feature) may surprise you and topple you over if you are not careful
You may also like Roller Skates for Wide Feet
#2 Razor Hovertrax 2.0
The Hovertrax 2.0 model from Razor is significantly less expensive than Segway models without compromising on the essential features of a hoverboard. Conforming to UL 2272 standards for e-mobility safety, the Hovertrax 2.0 is powered by 350 W dual motors and can achieve speeds of 8 miles per hour.No products found.
The hoverboard is really easy to control with acceleration control on the toes (the speed of the hoverboard increases till maximum speed is reached while you are leaning slightly over and pressing your toes against the overboard) and braking control on the heels.
The battery can last for 60 minutes of ride on a full charge and can carry a maximum weight of 220 lbs or 100 kilograms. The battery is easy to change and you can double your traveling range if you buy and carry a fully charged backup battery.
The hoverboard can function in 2 modes – the training mode and the normal mode. In case this is your first hoverboard, you can try the training mode.
- Smooth ride and easy to maneuver and mount
- Long battery life – battery life monitoring LED is convenient to keep track of remaining life
- Training mode is suitable for new hoverboard riders
- Good value for money
- Uphill or ramp climbing ability is limited – lack of sufficient torque
- Customer service and warranty coverage can be better
No products found.
You may also like Best Stationary Bikes for the Elderly
#3 Gyroor Self Balancing Hoverboard
The hoverboard from Gyroor is powered by dual 350 W motors and can reach speeds of up to 10 miles per hour. The device comes with a 36 volt lithium-ion battery that can last up to 7.5 – 9.5 miles on one full charge, depending upon usage, and can charge fully in 2 hours.
The feature of a music speaker on the hoverboard is controversial as you may not be able to enjoy your music on a busy street and it may distract you. The device is durable and water resistant – made of metal and aluminum, it can support maximum weight of up to 265 lbs.
Although the hoverboard is generally quiet, during start up it makes a loud whirring noise before it quietens down. The wheels are made of solid rubber and are quite thick to aid in balancing, however, are of 8.5 inches in diameter which may not offer you as much comfort as some larger wheeled Segway models.
Having said that, the hoverboard is good value for money when compared feature wise and price wise to Segway models.
- Cost effective option for a hoverboard
- Can support maximum user weight of 265 lbs or 120 kgs
- Fast battery charging
- Sound system included with the hoverboard – we recommend you use it only when completely comfortable with the device.
- No wheel maintenance required as wheels are of solid rubber
- Smaller wheels of 8.5 inch may not offer you as comfortable a ride on rough roads as some Segway models
- Loud start-up noise
You may also like Best Way to Transport Elderly Long Distance
#4 Segway Minilite Self Balancing Electric Transporter
The minilite model from Segway is meant for lighter adults and children weighing up to a maximum of 175 lbs and accordingly powered by a lower series dual motors of 350 W each. The 10.5 inch pneumatic or air-filled tires make the Segway a perfect candidate to be used on rough roads and lawns and fields with taller grass cover.
The maximum distance that you may be able to cover on a single full charge is about 11 miles or 18 kilometres at a top speed of 10 miles per hour. The safety features include brake lights, a padded knee control bar for better navigation and large tires.
The device is slightly heavier at about 38 lbs and it can be synced with your phone with an app which will let you monitor the Segway performance. You can update the software periodically to be able to use some of the cool features and updates from time to time like activating anti-theft locking mechanism.
- Can be synced up with your phone by downloading an app
- Easy to maneuver and control
- New rider tutorial is effective for new riders
- Good battery life
- Lower weight carrying capacity of 175 lbs
- You may find it on the expensive side, given features and power are not the best in class
You may also like Best Mountain Bike For Older Riders
#5 Segway Ninebot S-Plus Smart Self-Balancing Electric Scooter
The ninebot s-plus model from Segway is a heavy-duty hoverboard, with a slew of extra features and is understandably more expensive than other models. Powered by 2 motors of 400 W, the Segway can reach a top speed of up to 12 miles per hour.
It can cover up to 22 miles or 35 kilometres on a single full charge and can carry a maximum load of up to 220 lbs or 100 kilograms.
The knee control bar makes it easy to steer the Segway It has larger 11 inch pneumatic or air-filled tires which makes your rides more comfortable when the terrain is rough.
The large tires also let you cross fields and lawns with long grass. One standout feature of the Segway is smart lighting system which is an added safety feature – in addition to the driving lamp, it has blue colored tail lights which also double up as turning lights (yellow) or brake lights (red).
Not only is it easy to carry using the knee control bar, but you can also use the ‘follow’ mode to make your device follow you, when you would want your hands free.
- Remote control access to the device
- Follow mode to make the device follow you
- Long battery life and smart battery management
- Smart lighting system (turning/brake lights) for added safety
- Larger tires provide more comfortable rides on bumpy roads
- On the expensive side
- If you are a new Segway user, you might want to use a handle, for which you will have to budget extra
You may also like Best Manual Travel Wheelchair
Hoverboards in general, or Segway, specifically, are very convenient modes of transport, that can be used to travel around the neighborhood without tiring out your legs.
If you have the budget for it, you can buy one and therefore contribute to a cleaner environment as well, as there will be some trips where you will replace your car with the hoverboard, leading to less fuel consumption.
Over a period of reducing fuel consumption, you will find that the economic benefits of owning and using a hovercraft far exceed the initial investment.