With age come many challenges. Hip and knee pain is one of the most common age-related issues faced by the elderly.
Now, if you are into active sports in your golden years or like your nice brisk walk or a gentle stroll in the park, hip or knee pain can be a real bummer. But choosing the right running shoes meant for hip and knee pain can go some way in solving your problem.
Sometimes, one of the root causes of knee pain can also be wearing the wrong shoe. As per a study, did you know that more than a third of Americans report experiencing knee or hip pain at some time or the other in their lives? 
Last update 2021-10-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update 2021-10-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Getting the right knee-supporting shoes is very important for joggers and runners who are experiencing hip or knee pain. The best ones are lightweight, have better cushion support, and have a comfortable fit.
Cushioned running shoes for bad knees provide impact absorption and are ideal for long-distance running or jogging. They also give extra support to the hip and knee muscles.
This article is a guide to choose the best running shoes for hip and knee pain. We have covered running shoes for both women and men. So let us help you select the right shoe if your hip or knees need extra support.
Our Top Choice For Men – ASICS Men’s Running Shoes
The ASICS Men's Gel-Venture 6 Running Shoe,... is our top choice for men’s best running shoes for hip and knee pain knees.
These shoes feature rearfoot GEL technology with a cushioning system that acts as a shock absorber while running. In our trials, we found that this shoe gives the best support to your lower body if you are suffering from hip or knee pain.
Some of its main benefits are:
- Rearfoot GEL cushioning acts as a shock absorber and saves your hips and knees from the impact of running.
- A high abrasion rubber sole makes sure that you have a lot of traction while running. This is important to prevent slips and falls in wet or slippery conditions.
- Its reversed lugs are suitable for different terrains. They can provide good traction both uphill and downhill.
- You can include a medical orthotic insert for further support since there is a removable sock liner in the shoe.
- We found that overall these shoes helped reducing hip and knee pains while giving full support.
Our Top Choice For Women – Women’s Walking Shoes Sock Sneakers
The Women's Walking Shoes Sock Sneakers -... is our top choice for women’s best running shoes for hip and knee pain.
These shoes use air cushion technology to reduce impact while walking. They are about 1.96 inches high and slip-resistant. This protects the runner’s feet from injuries.
Its best features are:
- High-quality rubber material sole is non-slip and helps minimize the risk of falls.
- Air cushion sole gives excellent cushioning for the knees and absorbs shock.
- Its breathable and smooth fabric makes it a breeze to wear this shoe for long periods of time.
- It has a perforated arch that helps in the best ventilation and breathability among the shoes that we tried.
- Given that it is lightweight and water-resistant, we found it to be a very versatile shoe. We we as comfortable wearing it for a brisk walk around the block, as we were for a 6-mile run.
- The platform measures 1.96 inches high. This gave the most support among all the shoes that we tried.
- Overall, we found it to be a suitable shoe for daily use for those suffering from hip and knee pain. It performed very well during the stretching routine before starting the workout.
Best Running Shoes For Bad Knees (For Men)
#1 ASICS Men’s Running Shoes
ASICS Men’s Running Shoes are the best running shoes for men if they are suffering from knee and hip pain.
These shoes come with a gel cushioning system that helps absorb the shock during impact and allows for a smooth transition, ultimately giving better support to the knees and hips.
The shoes also have a removable sock liner. You can remove it and put in place a medical orthotic. This can be a real help in reducing hip and knee pain.
Its high abrasion rubber sole gives excellent traction while walking. oreover, its trail-specific outsole provides uphill and downhill traction. Users can wear it on all types of terrain.
Its synthetic, high abrasion rubber sole is fairly durable and adds to the stability of the shoe.
- A unique gel cushioning system reduces shock during impact with the ground and allows for a smooth transition of bodyweight between the legs while running or jogging.
- These shoes provide the best arch support among all the shoes tested which is a big factor in reducing hip and knee pain.
- Its trail-specific outsole and high abrasion rubber sole give excellent traction. The shoe works very well in uphill, downhill and slippery conditions. We found the grip to be more than adequate on both pavement and trails.
- Its high abrasion rubber sole is fairly durable and will be true through the life of the shoe.
- You can replace the removable sock liner with your own orthotic for enhanced support.
- As per some users, the material may fray after some time. But we found nothing to dissuade us from buying this shoe during our trials.
You might be interested in reading our article on running shoes for seniors
#2 Under Armour Running Shoes
In our testing, we found these shoes with the right balance between flexibility and cushioning for hip and knee pain sufferers.
They have a cushioning midsole that uses compression molded foam. The midsole helps to provide optimal cushioning while protecting the feet. That alone makes it rate very high among running shoes for hip pain.
These shoes are made with a solid rubber outsole covering high impact zones for excellent durability. They are fairly light weight and easy on the knees.
Furthermore, the EVA soft liner provides soft and step-in comfort. Its lightweight mesh upper is made with three color digital print, which not only looks stylish but is also fairly comfortable and quite breathable.
The leather outlay of the shoes gives stability and locks easily in midfoot. We found it to be a very snug fit while running.
- The cushioning midsole of these shoes uses compression molded foam to give better support to the feet and shock absorption for the knees.
- It has a solid rubber outsole to cover zones of high impact for great durability with less weight.
- The leather outlay of the shoes gives stability and locks easily in midfoot giving the shoe a great fit.
- The lightweight mesh upper is made with three color digital prints to add comfort with style for those who like their shoes to look good on their feet.
- A lightweight and comfortable synthetic sole that is durable and grips well.
- A few users reported that these shoes were hard on the heels, but just like the previous shoe, we were quite comfortable.
#3 New Balance Running Shoes
New Balance running shoes are designed to give excellent soft underfoot cushioning. They are quite helpful for men with knee and hip pain.
Its midsole absorbs impact well through cushioning and compression resistance. The shoe is breathable and is built with keeping whole day wearing comfort in mind.
The leather mesh upper of these shoes features a stitched down tip and flexible details to provide maximum support to the foot. This ultimately helps in relieving pressure off bad knees. The shoe is also a good option for those suffering from plantar fasciitis.
This running shoe’s strong rubber outsole offers long-lasting durability. The shoes are designed for feet protection and shock absorption while running.
- The midsole absorbs a better impact through cushioning and compression resistance.
- Its strong rubber outsole offers long-lasting durability for all-day support with full wear and tear protection.
- The leather mesh features a stitched down tip and flexible details to provide maximum support.
- We liked its shock absorption while running.
- The shoe comes in neutral to bold hues and color tones, which adds to its style.
- A few users complained that these shoes are tight around the big toe, so you may want to buy one size up if you have a wide foot.
You might be interested in reading: Best Shoes For Aging Feet
Best Running Shoes For Bad Knees (For Women)
Now that we have looked at some of the best shoes for knee and hip pain for men, let us help our womenfolk select the right running shoe if they have knee or hip pain.
On a lighter note, we featured women after men, because we tried more women’s shoes for hip and knee problems. Consequently, we have one extra recommendation for them!
#4 Slow Women’s Walking Shoes
Slow Women’s Walking Shoes are the best shoes for hip and knee pain for women.
These shoes are made with air cushioning technology. This makes them excellent if you have hip pain or suffer from runner’s knee. They are also a good option if you are suffering from plantar fasciitis.
The anti-skid MD out-sole protects feet and its non-slip design and prevents injuries, especially if you have a bad knee. The platform measures 1.96 inches, which gives good support to feet.
The mesh design of this walking shoe makes it more breathable and thus ideal for wearing for the whole day. Moreover, these shoes are water-resistant, which makes your feet safer in wet conditions.
Their classic air-cushioned design makes them ideal shoes to wear for all-day comfort. These shoes are lightweight and flexible, like socks that give better comfort to feet.
These running shoes are suitable for daily use and during workouts.
- The air cushioning technology makes these shoes more elastic and protects the knees from injuries.
- The non-slip rubber material sole prevents you from falling and injuring yourself. That also makes it a great trail shoe and road running shoe.
- These shoes are light in weight and highly flexible .
- The perforated arch helps in making the shoes breathable and comfortable too.
- Mesh design makes these shoes more breathable and makes them ideal for wearing for the whole day.
- Suitable shoes for daily use and those suffering from plantar fasciitis.
- A few users reported that these shoes do not provide very good arch support.
You might be interested in reading: Best Shoes for Broken Toe
#5 Adidas Women Running Shoes
The Adidas women’s running shoes have a soft midsole cushioning which is designed to give one of the best cushioning and thus top-level comfort while running. The padding is soft and can help prevent a stress fracture for those who like intense or long-duration running.
This cushioned shoe further features cloud memory foam liner that makes them feel extra soft if you have heel pain. That also helps if you have shin splints. The textile lining makes these shoes easy on the knee joint.
The shoes feature a foot-hugging and female-friendly fit. This allows women to feel comfortable and reduces pressure on the hip joint while wearing these shoes.
The rubber sole gives a good grip on all kinds of terrain, making it a good trail shoe. These shoes are flexible and ideal for wearing for the whole day.
- The soft midsole cushioning of these shoes is designed to give ultimate comfort and better cushioning to the knees and hips.
- The rubber sole is designed to give a good grip to feet.
- The shoes feature a foot-hugging and female-friendly fit making it a great stability shoe.
- This walking shoe has soft textile lining, which makes it ideal for all day wear.
- These shoes could be better with their ankle support.
You might be interested in reading: Shoes For The Elderly With Balance Problems
#6 ASICS Women Running Shoes
ASICS Women Running Shoes are ideal shoes for everyday comfort for those with hip and knee pain. The shoes are made with a GEL cushioning system to give excellent support to the knees and the plantar fascia (the ligament that connects heel bones to the toes).
Its high abrasion rubber outsole makes these shoe ideal for a variety of terrains. This trail-specific outsole is good for traction on different surfaces.
A removable sock liner helps in accommodating your own orthotic insole, which can further support those with flat feet. The shoes have a breathable mesh upper with bright overlays. These shoes can be worn the entire day.
- The GEL cushioning system of these shoes gives the benefit of excellent cushioning for the heel and the knee joint. It really helps if you run with a heel strike.
- The high abrasion rubber outsole is created to make these shoe ideal for a variety of terrains.
- The removable sock liner of these shoes helps in accommodating an orthotic insole for those with flat feet. It helps in reducing foot pain.
- The breathable mesh material makes these shoe ideal to wear for the whole day.
- This supportive shoe’s high abrasion rubber sole helps in giving better foot protection.
- Shoes help in giving excellent arch support.
- A few users mentioned that the shoe tends to slide a bit when worn for a long time.
#7 STQ Women’s Running Shoes
The STQ running shoes have air cushioning and a rubber sole which act as a protective layer for those suffering from knee and hip pain.
This running sneaker supports the hip joint from the constant pressure and shock of your feet constantly striking the ground.
This is a versatile and neutral running shoe. It also has a removable sock liner where you can insert your own orthotic insole to improve arch support further and help your ailing knees and hips. That also makes it a good shoe for flat feet.
This running shoe use mesh and synthetic upper for a breathable and comfortable experience with a sock-like fit. They are perfect for running, walking, working, weight training, and a host of other daily activities.
- Air cushion technology and a rubber sole in the shoes create a spring-like action that reduces the shock of your feet hitting the ground.
- It has a removable sock liner where you can insert your own orthotic insole to improve arch support and get better hip and knee support. That makes it good for those with flat feet.
- There are a mesh and synthetic upper, which makes these shoes breathable and therefore good for all-day use.
- The shoes can be used for a host of daily activities. They are meant mostly for neutral runners..
- Be careful about the sizing of the shoe. Several users complained that they have larger than normal sizes.
You might be interested in reading: Best Shoes For Venous Insufficiency
The video below show explains what causes knee pain after running and some tips on how to avoid it.
Buyer’s Guide: Best Running Shoes for Bad Knees
Here are some things to look out for when seeking the best running shoes for bad knees.
Adequate cushioning in the sole helps absorb the shock of running. That helps you avoid problems like runner’s knee. If you have bad knees or hip pain but love to run, always get good cushioning for your feet.
Walking in heels places stress on your heels and knees and can even lead to arthritis. Therefore even a running shoe should have a shallow drop if you have bad knees.
Breathability is one of the important factors that people need to consider while selecting running shoes.
One must choose shoes made with mesh or textile lining as they help make shoes more breathable. This ensures that moisture is not accumulated in the shoe. Mesh lining lets air circulate inside the shoes keeping your feet fresher for longer.
Traction is another important point to consider while choosing a running sneaker. A good athletic shoe has a sole with adequate traction for all kinds of surfaces.
A good grip helps you prevent slipping and falling, whether you are running on a trail or on wet pavement. The best traction shoes are ones that are made with multi-directional treads on the outsole. These treads help to give a better grip on the ground.
Fit and Comfort
Fit and comfort go hand in hand. Only the right fit shoes will keep you comfortable for the whole day. The best shoes for the knees and hips are also the ones that fit the shape of the feet well without affecting the natural movement of the feet.
If you have wide feet, choose a shoe that has room around the toes, especially the big toe. If your feet are narrow, you might need to look for more tapering shoes for a snug fit.
Both, the insole and outsole are critical to a shoe’s longevity and comfort. Shoes that are made with abrasion and water-resistant sole help in better protection of the feet. These soles are designed to give full arch support, allowing people to wear them with better foot movement.
You might be interested in reading: Best Shoes for Spinal Stenosis
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can running shoes help hip and knee pain?
Running normally places a lot of stress on your hip and knee joints because of the constant shock these joints have to takewhen your feet hit the ground. The right running shoes can, however, make a world of difference.
Shoes with good cushioning and ones that allow you to insert medical orthotic insole for improved hip and knee support can help you deal with knee pain and give you a comfortable running experience.
How to choose the best running shoes?
To choose the best running shoes, one may consider several factors. The sole is an important factor to consider because a good sole gives a lot of traction and grip, which is important while running.
Moreover, you should also consider the material. Breathable material is good for better comfort of feet. The shoe should have good cushioning and arch support, which helps a lot in shock absorption and reduces pain in the feet, ankle, and knees.
Is it ok to wear running shoes every day?
Yes, running shoes can be worn every day. These shoes are specially designed while keeping in mind comfort.
Running shoes are generally lightweight and have extra cushioning, which is good for whole day comfort. Moreover, the material of these shoes is breathable and flexible. Users can wear them for hours on end.
If you are into running, hip and knee pain can be a big show-stopper for you. Knee and hip pain requires a lot of careful attention because it can signal bigger problems such as arthritis.
A proper running shoe can with the right features can, however, help you out. The shoe needs to have the right amount of cushioning that supports your knee joint and saves it from the constant shock during running.
Similarly, a good shoe will also have the right arch support and a good insole, and if not, at least the possibility of including your own orthotics so that you can get the right support while running.
In this article, we have selected the best running shoes for hip and knee pain based on our experience of using these shoes. We have also considered other users’ inputs through the ratings and comments mentioned by actual users on Amazon. Additionally, we have mentioned the features that you should look for when selecting a shoe for hip and knee pain in our buyer’s guide.
In our opinion, the ASICS Men's Gel-Venture 6 Running Shoe,... is the best choice for men with knee and hip pain because it is comfortable and rich in features.
If you are looking for a value for money option, you can also consider the Under Armour mens Charged Assert 8... , which offers great value and features for men at a very reasonable price point.
The Women's Walking Shoes Sock Sneakers -... is the best running shoe for women who face pain in the knees and hips.
If you are looking for a value for money option, you can also consider the adidas Women's Cloud foam Pure Running... , which offers great value and features for women at a very reasonable price point.
Read our full coverage on everything knee-related to find the right products to support them.
- Best Knee Brace for Meniscus Tear
- Best Bariatric Knee Brace
- Best Knee Braces for Sciatica
- Best Knee Support For Elderly
- Best Knee Warmers for Arthritis