We have reviewed the best running shoes for bad knees. If you are in a hurry, the table below gives a quick snapshot of the top ones.
Last update 2021-09-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update 2021-09-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
With age come grave challenges, and knee pain is one of them. Sometimes, wearing the wrong shoe is one of the root causes of knee pain. As per a study, did you know that almost 1/3rd of Americans report experiencing knee pain at some or the other time in their lives? 
Getting the right knee-supporting shoes is very important for joggers and runners who are experiencing knee pain. The best ones are lightweight, have better cushion support, and a comfortable fit. Cushioned running shoes provide impact absorption and are ideal for long-distance running and giving knee support.
This article gives a guide to choose the best running shoes for bad knees for men and women. Let us discuss them one by one.
Our Top Choice For Men- ASICS Men’s Running Shoes
The ASICS Men's Gel-Venture 6... is our top choice for men’s best running shoes for bad knees because these shoes feature rearfoot GEL technology cushioning system act as shock absorbers while running thus, giving better support to your knees.
Its best features are:
- Rearfoot GEL cushioning act as shock absorbers and saves your knees from facing the brunt.
- A high abrasion rubber sole gives a lot of traction while running.
- Reversed lugs are suitable for different terrain, and provide better traction in both up and down hill.
- You can include a medical orthotic for further support since there is a removable sock liner in the shoe.
- These synthetic shoes aid in reducing knee pains while giving full support.
Our Top Choice For Women – Women’s Walking Shoes Sock Sneakers
The Women's Walking Shoes Sock... is our top choice for women’s best running shoes for bad knees because these shoes use air cushion technology to reduce impact while walking. They are about 1.96 inches high and slip-resistant to protect feet from any injury.
Its best features are:
- High-quality rubber material sole is non-slip and prevents injuries.
- Air cushion sole gives excellent cushioning to absorb shock.
- The breathable and smooth fabric gives all-day comfort.
- Perforated arch aids in better ventilation and breathability.
- Lightweight and flexible water-resistant shoes can be worn for the whole day.
- The platform measures 1.96 inches, which gives better support to feet.
- Suitable shoes for daily use and those suffering from plantar fasciitis and during workouts.
Best Running Shoes For Bad Knees (For Men)
#1 ASICS Men’s Running Shoes
ASICS Men’s Running Shoes are the best running shoes for men. These shoes are made with a gel cushioning system that helps absorb the shock during impact and allows for a smooth transition, ultimately giving better support to the knees.
The shoes also have removable sock liner. You can remove it and put in place a medical orthotic, which can also reduce knee pain. The high abrasion rubber sole gives excellent traction while walking.
Moreover, its trail-specific outsole provides uphill and downhill traction. Users can wear it on all types of terrain.
These synthetic, high abrasion rubber sole shoes give ultimate durability to runners.
- A unique gel cushioning system reduces shock during impact with the ground and allows for a smooth transition.
- Shoes provide better arch support to reduce knee pain.
- Its trail-specific outsole and high abrasion rubber sole give excellent traction.
- These high abrasion rubber sole shoes give ultimate durability to runners.
- These shoes are good to wear on all terrains as trail-specific outsole provide uphill and downhill traction.
- You can replace the removable sock liner with your own orthotic for enhanced support.
- As per some users, the material may fray after some time.
You might be interested in reading: Best Running Shoes For Seniors
#2 Under Armour Running Shoes
These are ideal shoes for the right balance between flexibility and cushioning. They have a cushioning midsole which uses compression molded foam to give better support to the feet. The midsole helps to provide optimal cushioning while protecting feet, which makes them perfect for knee support.
These shoes are made with a solid rubber outsole covering high impact zones for great durability with less weight. Further, the EVA soft liner provides a soft and step-in comfort. Its lightweight mesh upper is made with three color digital print, which gives comfort, style, and good breathability.
The leather outlay of the shoes gives stability and locks easily in midfoot. The synthetic sole makes the shoes more lightweight and comfortable.
- The cushioning midsole of these shoes uses compression molded foam to give better support to the feet and shock absorption for the knees.
- It has a solid rubber outsole to cover zones of high impact for great durability with less weight.
- The leather outlay of the shoes gives stability and locks easily in midfoot.
- The lightweight mesh upper is made with three color digital prints to add comfort with style for people.
- A lightweight and comfortable synthetic sole.
- A few users reported that these shoes were hard on the heels.
#3 New Balance Running Shoes
These shoes are designed to give excellent soft underfoot cushioning. Its midsole absorbs better impact through cushioning and compression resistance, which gives whole day comfort to people.
The leather mesh upper of these shoes features a stitched down tip and flexible details to provide maximum support. Its strong rubber outsole offers long-lasting durability for all-day support and wear and tear protection. The shoes are designed for precise plushness with better feet protection.
- The midsole absorbs a better impact through cushioning and compression resistance.
- Shoes strong rubber outsole offers long-lasting durability for all-day support with full wear and tear protection.
- Its leather mesh features a stitched down tip and flexible details to provide maximum support.
- These shoes are designed for effective plushness with better feet protection.
- Shoes come in neutral to bold hues tones, which adds to its style.
- A few users complained that these shoes are tight around the toes, so you may want to buy one size up.
You might be interested in reading: Best Shoes For Aging Feet
Best Running Shoes For Bad Knees (For Women)
#4 Slow Women’s Walking Shoes
Slow Women’s Walking Shoes are the best shoes for knee pain. The shoes are made with air cushioning technology that makes these shoes more elastic and protects them from injuries. The anti-skid MD out-sole protects feet with its non-slip design and prevents injuries. The platform measures 1.96 inches, which gives good support to feet.
The mesh design makes these shoes more breathable and makes them ideal for wearing for the whole day. Moreover, these shoes are water-resistant, which makes your feet safer.
Their classic air-cushioned design makes them ideal shoes to wear for all-day comfort. These shoes are lightweight and flexible, like socks that give better comfort to feet.
These running shoes are suitable for daily use and during workouts.
- The air cushioning technology makes these shoes more elastic and protects the knees from injuries.
- The non-slip rubber material sole prevents you from falling and injuring yourself.
- These shoes are light in weight and highly flexible .
- The perforated arch helps in making the shoes breathable and comfortable too.
- Mesh design makes these shoes more breathable and makes them ideal for wearing for the whole day.
- Suitable shoes for daily use and those suffering from plantar fasciitis.
- A few users reported that these shoes do not provide very good arch support.
You might be interested in reading: Best Shoes for Broken Toe
#5 Adidas Women Running Shoes
These running shoes have a soft midsole cushioning which is designed to give ultimate comfort and better cushioning to feet, thereby protecting your knees from injury.
These shoes further feature cloud form memory soft liner that adds to your comfort. The textile lining makes these shoes even more comfortable to wear.
The shoes feature a foot-hugging and female-friendly fit. This allows women to feel comfortable while wearing these shoes.
The rubber sole gives a good grip and comfort. These shoes are flexible and ideal for wearing for the whole day.
- The soft midsole cushioning of these shoes is designed to give ultimate comfort and better cushioning to the knees.
- The rubber sole is designed to give a good grip to feet.
- The shoes feature a foot-hugging and female-friendly fit for whole day comfort.
- The boot opening of these shoes measures 0-3 inches.
- Shoe features, textile lining, which makes these shoes more comfortable to wear.
- These shoes could be better with their ankle support.
You might be interested in reading: Shoes For The Elderly With Balance Problems
#6 ASICS Women Running Shoes
ASICS Women Running Shoes are ideal shoes for everyday comfort. The shoes are made with a GEL cushioning system to give excellent support to the knees.
Its high abrasion rubber outsole makes these shoe ideal for a variety of terrains. This trail-specific outsole is good for multi-surface traction.
A removable sock liner helps in accommodating your own orthotics, which can further support the knee. The shoes have a breathable mesh upper with bright overlays. These shoes can be worn the entire day.
- The GEL cushioning system of these shoes gives the benefit of excellent cushioning.
- The high abrasion rubber outsole is created to make these shoe ideal for a variety of terrains.
- The removable sock liner of these shoes helps in accommodating orthotics.
- The breathable mesh material makes these shoe ideal to wear for the whole day.
- High abrasion rubber sole helps in giving better foot protection.
- Shoes help in giving excellent arch support.
- A few users mentioned that the shoe tends to slide a bit when worn for a long time.
#7 STQ Women’s Running Shoes
The STQ running shoes have air cushioning and a rubber sole which act as a protective layer for your knees, saving them from the constant pressure and shock of your feet constantly landing on the ground.
This is a versatile running shoe meant for neutral runners. It also has a removable sock liner where you can insert your own orthotics to improve arch support further and help your ailing knees.
These running shoe use mesh and synthetic upper for a breathable and comfortable experience with a sock-like fit. They are perfect for running, walking, working, weight training, and a host of other daily activities.
- Air cushion technology and a rubber sole in the shoes create a spring-like action which reduces the shock of your feet hitting the ground.
- It has a removable sock liner where you can insert your own orthotics to improve arch support further and get better knee support as well.
- There are a mesh and synthetic upper, which makes these shoes breathable and therefore good for all-day use.
- The shoes can be used for a host of daily activities. They are meant mostly for neutral runners..
- Be careful about the sizing of the shoe. Several users complained that they have larger than normal sizes.
You might be interested in reading: Best Shoes For Venous Insufficiency
The video below show explains what causes knee pain after running and some tips on how to avoid it.
Buyer’s Guide: Best Running Shoes for Bad Knees
Here are some things to look out for when seeking the best running shoes for bad knees.
Cushioning in the sole helps absorb the shock of running, which helps keep pain away. If you have bad knees but love to run, always get good cushioning for your feet.
Walking in heels places stress on your knees and can even lead to arthritis. Therefore even a running shoe should have a shallow drop if you have bad knees.
Breathability is one of the important factors that people need to consider while selecting running shoes. One must choose shoes made with mesh or textile lining as they help make shoes more breathable. This ensures that moisture is not accumulated in the shoes and lets air circulate inside the shoes.
Traction is another important point to consider while choosing running shoes. Good shoes help in giving better stability. A good grip helps to prevent the shoes from any slippages. The best traction shoes are ones that are made with multi-directional treads on the outsole. These shoes help to give better traction on the ground.
Fit and Comfort
Fit and comfort go hand in hand. Only the right fit shoes help in giving comfort for the whole day. The best shoes for the knees are also ones that fit the shape of the feet well without affecting the natural movement of the feet. People can feel comfortable wearing perfect fit shoes.
Shoes that are made with abrasion and water-resistant sole help in better protection of the feet. These soles are designed to give full arch support, allowing people to wear them with better foot movement.
You might be interested in reading: Best Shoes for Spinal Stenosis
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can running shoes help knee pain?
Running normally places a lot of stress on your knee because of the constant shock the knee has to face when your feet hit the ground.
The right running shoes can, however, make a world of difference. Shoes with good cushioning and ones that allow you to insert medical orthotics for improved knee support can help you deal with knee pain and give you a comfortable running experience.
How to choose the best running shoes?
To choose the best running shoes, one may consider several factors. The sole is an important factor to consider because a good sole gives a lot of traction and grip, which is important while running.
Moreover, you should also consider the material. Breathable material is good for better comfort of feet. The shoe should have good cushioning and arch support, which helps a lot in shock absorption and reduces pain in the feet, ankle, and knees.
Is it ok to wear running shoes every day?
Yes, running shoes can be worn every day. These shoes are specially designed while keeping in mind comfort. Running shoes are generally lightweight and have extra cushioning, which is good for whole day comfort. Moreover, the material of these shoes is breathable and flexible. Users can wear them all day as well.
If you are into running, knee pain can be a big show stopper for you. Knee pain requires a lot of careful attention because it can signal bigger problems such as arthritis.
A proper running shoe can with the right features can, however, help you out. The shoe needs to have the right amount of cushioning that supports your knee joint and saves it from the constant shock during running. Similarly, a good shoe will also have the right arch support and a good insole, and if not, at least the possibility of including your own orthotics so that you can get the right support while running.
In this article, we have selected the best running shoes for bad knees based on the features mentioned in our buyer’s guide and the ratings and comments mentioned by actual users on Amazon.
In our opinion, the ASICS Men's Gel-Venture 6... is the best choice for men because it is comfortable and rich in features.
If you are looking for a value for money option, you can also consider the Under Armour mens Charged... , which offers great value and features for men at a very reasonable price point.
The Women's Walking Shoes Sock... is the best choice for women because it is very comfortable and rich in features.
If you are looking for a value for money option, you can also consider the adidas Women's Cloud foam Pure... , which offers great value and features for women at a very reasonable price point.
Read our full coverage on knee braces to support your knees.
- Best Knee Brace for Meniscus Tear
- Best Bariatric Knee Brace
- Best Knee Braces for Sciatica
- Best Knee Support For Elderly
- Best Knee Warmers for Arthritis