We have reviewed the best power wheelchairs with elevating seat. If you are in a hurry, the table below gives a quick snapshot of the top 6.
Last update 2021-07-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
According to a government study in 2015, about 2.7 million people use a wheelchair regularly.
A power wheelchair is a mobility aid device that works wonders for the people who have limited mobility due to their age or any injury.
If your loved ones are disabled and are unable to stand themselves up from a sitting position, it is useful to have the flexibility to extend the height of the wheelchair so that they can be transferred easily from an elevated position
Therefore, a power wheelchair or electric scooter that provides the benefit of mobility and seats that can be elevated for easy transfers is a very good option for your loved ones.
In this article, we will take you through some of the best power wheelchairs with elevating seats
Our Top Choice – Pride Jazzy 2 Wheel Power Wheelchair
The Pride Jazzy Air 2 (Ruby Red)-... is our top choice for best power wheelchairs with elevating seat because it has a powerful elevating seat mechanism that can raise you upto 12 inches in a matter of just 11 seconds!
It has a maximum weight capacity of 300 pounds, which makes it perfect for most average sized users. It can run at a top speed of 4mph and can cover a distance of 16.8 miles in a single battery charge.
Some more useful features that we researched are given below
- It has nice and comfortable armrests that can be adjusted for angle, height, and depth to suit your exact need
- It has bright LED marker lights for better visibility when moving at night
- There is a useful storage compartment under the seat up front
- It has an amazing suspension with Activ-Trac technology, that gives you a very comfortable ride in even rough terrains
- It has a great turning radius of just 20.75 inches, which makes turning the power wheelchair easy and simple around corners
- One of the most amazing features is that the height adjustment mechanism works even while the wheelchair is in motion – this is not present in many other such wheelchairs
Best Power Wheelchair With Elevating Seat
#1 Vive 4 Wheel Power Wheelchair
The Vive four-wheel power wheelchair is a battery-driven mobility scooter which greatly increases the mobility and the comfort of the elderly or the injured people. The power wheelchairs has 8″ flat tires suitable to run on any surface such as roads, concrete floor, pavement, tiling, or even carpets. It’s the ideal mobile companion for all outdoor and indoor activities.
Extreme comfort is also a very important aspect of this wheelchair as it has a very wide seat of 15.75″ with a padded cushion seat and a backrest. The chair also has two padded armrests, which can also flip upwards to provide more convenience. The users find it convenient to use and operate.
- On a single charge, the power wheelchair can run for about 12.4 miles, which is a more than enough distance covered by an elderly in a day,
- The user can also easily adjust the height of the seat for comfortable boarding on and off from the power wheelchair,
- The wheelchair can also easily disassemble into four pieces, which makes it easy to transport and more portable,
- Very user-friendly control panel which the older adults can easily understand and operate on their own without the need of any external help,
- It can easily lift to 265 pounds, which makes the power wheelchair a very heavy-duty device.
- The battery may stop working after being left idle for a long period,
- The scooter does not have a lot of legroom for very tall people.
#2 Pride Jazzy 2 Wheel Power Wheelchair
The Pride Mobility Power Wheelchair is a groundbreaking mobility scooter that can lift to 12 inches above the chair’s height in just 11 seconds. Another remarkable feature of the power wheelchair is that it can lift the seat up and down while the wheelchair is in motion.
It has a battery charge distance of 16.80 miles, which makes it a decent distance to cover. The maximum load capacity of the wheelchair is 300 pounds, with a safe driving speed of 4mph. The mobility scooter provides older adults with the utmost comfort and safety.
- Can run on any type of surface like both indoor and outdoor surface such as concrete floors, pavement, roads, grass, and so on,
- The Seats of the wheelchair have extra padding and a backrest to provide the support for the spine,
- It has a 20″ wide seat which is also suitable for plus sizes citizens,
- It also has a good ground clearance height, which ensures the durability of the chair,
- The power wheelchair is also an FDA approved class 2 medical device.
- The seat of the power wheelchair does not recline at all,
- The switch to operate the chair under extreme pressure.
You may also like to read about 12 Best Power Wheelchairs for Outdoor Use
#3 BUZZAROUND Heavy Duty Power Wheelchair
It is a very rough and tough power wheelchair, which also has a very ergonomic elevating seat. The elevating seat makes the wheelchair suitable for all types of people. The chair also has front and rear suspensions to prevent any damage to the elderly as older adults are more prone to injuries, so the suspensions act as shock absorbers.
It also disassembles, making it highly portable as well as lightweight when it is disassembled. The seat of the chair is of a stadium-style or a theatre style with adjustable height.
- The wheelchair has a LED battery gauge which precisely indicates the battery left in the tank,
- It runs on maximum speed of 5mph,
- 18-mile drive range per charging,
- Great turning radius, which makes the driving of the power wheelchair easy and simple,
- It also has an LED angle adjusting headlight.
- The weight of the wheelchair is 250 pounds.
- Does not have a safety seat belt.
#4 Merits Vision Sports Lift Elevating Seat Power Wheelchair
The Vision Sports Lift is a mid-wheel drive power wheelchair. It also has an elevating seat, which is special for the senior citizens as they can get to the places with the elevating chair where they normally would not get. The seat can lift by 7.5″ on a single push of a button.
Mobility scooter also has high-quality suspensions to ensure the safety of the user. The suspensions act as shock and jerk absorbers. It helps the user to drive the wheelchair with an elevated seat, but at half the speed to ensure the user’s safety.
- It has a large travel distance on a single charge which is 18 miles,
- The power wheelchairs has a top speed of 5mph but runs at 2.5 mph when the seat is elevated for precaution against any injury,
- Large semi recline seat with a width of 20″ captains seat with includes armrests and headrest,
- The chair can easily accommodate users weighing around 300 pounds,
- It also has an additional 2″ ground clearance height, which is essential for the wheelchair to have durability.
- The back of the seat is semi-reclining and cannot fully recline,
- The power wheelchair cannot disassemble for transportation.
You may also like to read about Best Power Wheelchairs for Rheumatoid Arthritis
#5 Pride Mobility 4 Wheel Power Wheelchair
The Pride Mobility Power Wheelchairs has a four-wheel-drive, which has a very high weight capacity of 325 pounds. This makes the wheelchair ideal for plus-sized citizens as well as normal citizens. The battery of the power wheelchair is large enough with a capacity of 18AH. The long battery life allows the mobility scooter to run up to 14 miles per charge.
The safe, top speed of the wheelchair is 4.7 mph, making sure that the user is always under the speed limit and does not over speed. The design of the handles and the foot pedals male, the power scooter is reliable.
- The power wheelchair is extremely portable as it can be disassembled and moved around,
- Highest weight capacities in its class, holding up to 325 lbs.
- The Sport’s long-running battery offers up to 14.5 miles in a single charge and an ample 4.7 mph high speed.
- Solid 9″ flat tires suitable for all kinds of terrain,
- Pretty high 3″ ground clearance making the scooter safe from rocks, debris, and so on,
- Adjustable armrests which make traveling more convenient,
- The mobility scooter is compact enough to fit through most of the doorways.
- Slightly bigger turning radius of 52 inches, which is slightly more than the traditional models,
- Does not include any additional accessories.
#6 Top Mobility Merits Power Wheelchair
The Top Mobility power wheelchairs has an elevated power seat, which has a two in one powerbase as it can easily convert into a forefront-wheel-drive power chairs from a power chair in a matter of seconds. The height adjusting length of the mobility scooter is 5″ which makes it ideal for tall and short people.
The frame of the power wheelchair is sturdy as well as reliable. The normal seat height of the wheelchair is low, which reduces the center of gravity of the scooter and immensely enhances the stability.
- The turnaround radius of the scooter is very less allowing the elderly to maneuver around tight spaces freely,
- A rotating seat is also really essential for the people who are suffering from neck problems as the seat can turnaround a complete 180° degrees,
- Semi reclining back providing the elderly to rest their back and spine during long durations on the power wheelchair,
- The very simple and easy user interface,
- Highly durable and top quality wheels that can easily work on all types of terrains.
- Heavy which can prove to be difficult to lift for older adults,
- The power wheelchair can not disassemble, making it less portable.
You may also like to read about Best Power Wheelchair Batteries
What should you look for before buying a wheelchair with an elevating seat?
• Adjustable Elevated Seat
The seat of a power wheelchair must have an adjustable elevated seat so that the wheelchair is suitable for people of all heights. The adjustable height also helps the older adults to reach tall places that they normally can’t reach. The process of elevating the seat should be simple and easy so that every user can easily understand it.
• Low Turning Radius
The power wheelchairs has a very low turnaround radius, which enhances the maneuverability of the wheelchair. Greater mobility reduces hassles while driving and also makes driving a stress-free task for the elderly.
• Comfortable Seating
A power wheelchair must also have comfortable padded seats with sturdy, as well as firm backrest. The backrest helps the user maintain a straight spine and back, preventing the user from facing spine issues. Older adults are more prone to have back-related issues and disorders.
• High Load Capacity
The chair’s loading capacity must also be very high, which makes the power wheelchair apt for plus-sized people and regular-sized people. The average maximum loading capacity of the power wheelchair is around 250 to 400 pounds. There are additional suspensions in the scooter which act as great enhancers for the loading capacity. The power wheelchair also has seats at low heights, which increases the center of gravity and improves the load capacity.
• Good Battery Capacity
The ideal power wheelchair’s battery capacity should also be high and should cover more than the average distance the elderly cover in a day. A good battery must have a shortened charging time with a good output of distance. The power wheelchair should also have a clear and precise battery gauze, which indicates the battery correctly. It should also be wide enough so that the elderly can read it.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How does a power wheelchair work?
: A power wheelchair is an electric wheelchair that has one or more batteries to run on. The wheelchair has a control panel that allows the user to use the wheelchair and control it. Generally, a power wheelchair is controlled using a joystick.
Q: How long does a power wheelchair last?
: A power wheelchair can run up to anywhere between 15 miles or 20 miles on a single charge. At the same time, the speed ranges from 4 mph to 6 mph. The speed and the distance covered depends on the model of the power wheelchair.
Q: Can a power wheelchair be pushed?
: Yes, a power wheelchair also has a manual wheelchair where it can act as a normal wheelchair, which a companion can push and make them travel from one place to another. The user can change the modes by using a lever attached to the armrest of the power wheelchair.
How often will Medicare pay for an electric wheelchair?
The good news is that power wheelchairs come under DME (Durable Medical Equipment) and are therefore covered.
If your wheelchair is lost, damaged or stolen, medicare will pay for replacing it (with an exact same model) as long as you have proof.
Lastly, to get a replacement on a worn-out wheelchair, you must have owned it for its entire lifetime (which has to be greater than at least 5 years). It should have visible signs of wear and tear and you will need a prescription from your primary medical care provider which explains why you need the product replaced.
A wheelchair with an elevating seat can be a boon for people who are wheelchair dependant and therefore need to be transferred directly from the wheelchair to the bed. It enables them to move around easily while also being useful for their caregiver to transfer them without any discomfort.
In this article, we have selected the best power wheelchair with elevating seat based on the features mentioned in our buyer’s guide and the ratings and comments mentioned by actual users on Amazon.
In our opinion,Pride Jazzy Air 2 (Ruby Red)-... is the best choice among the various options that we have considered for wheelchairs because of its ability to elevate the seat by upto 12 inches in just 11 seconds, that too when the wheelchair is in motion!
Also, the BUZZAROUND EX Extreme 4-Wheel... is the best choice among the various options that we have considered for scooters because it is rich in features and serves the purpose.
If you are looking for a value for money option, you can also consider the Vive 4 Wheel Mobility Scooter... , which offers great value and features at a very reasonable price point.
While we make every effort to provide updated and correct information, the advice given in this article and website should not be construed as “medical advice”. Please consult with your physician or medical practitioner before using any power wheelchair. Each individual may have his or her unique issues and your medical practitioner is the best person to decide the best power wheelchair with elevating seat for your case.
We provide extensive coverage of power wheelchairs. You might want to read more here:
- 12 Best Power Wheelchairs for Outdoor Use
- Best Power Wheelchair Batteries
- 6 Best Electric Wheelchairs in Canada
- Best Power Wheelchairs for Rheumatoid Arthritis
- How to Use an Electric Wheelchair Correctly?
- How to Charge a Dead Wheelchair Battery?
- How to Clean a Power Wheelchair?
If you’re looking for wheelchair accessories, helpandwellness.com is the place to be. Check out our wide coverage of stylish and convenient wheelchair accessories
- Best Temporary Wheelchair Ramps
- Best Gloves for Wheelchair Users
- Best Fitness Watch for Wheelchair Users
- 7 Best Wheelchair Seat Belts
- Best Bags for Wheelchairs and Walkers
- Best Electric Wheelchair Seat Covers
- 5 Best Wheelchair Arm Rest Covers
- Best Area Rugs for Wheelchair Users
- Best Wheelchair Headrests
- Best Wheelchair Cushions for Elderly
- [DONE] Best Wheelchair Scale