We have reviewed the best outdoor security camera for cold weather. If you are in a hurry, the table below gives a quick snapshot of the top 5.
Last update 2021-07-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update 2021-07-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Snow is fun! But it can be destructive as well, especially for your gadgets such as security cameras. If you live in a place that gets snow and extreme cold during the year, then you need a special security camera that can withstand this temperature.
There are several problems that a security camera can face: its hardware (such as batteries) may not be designed for cold weather. The camera’s vision may get blurry due to snow or rain. If it is an IP-rated camera then you should make sure it has the right rating.
These and a few other considerations are important to know when setting up a security system. In this article, we intend to bring together the best Outdoor Security Camera for Cold Weather.
Our Top Choice – Ring Floodlight Camera
In our opinion Ring Floodlight Camera... is the best outdoor security camera for cold weather right now. Below we give our reasons:
- The camera can operate at amazingly low temperatures (-22°F to 120°F (-30°C to 48.5°C))
- It is weatherproof, which means it can tackle dust, rain, and other elements. For an outdoor security camera, this is very important for round-the-year performance.
- It has wide-angle view with 140 degrees horizontal and 78 degrees vertical vision
- It has two LED floodlights (1800 lumens) that get activated when any motion is sensed, leaving no dark corner for a burglar or intruder to hide.
- It offers 1080p HD picture and video quality, and also has two-way audio communication, accompanied by speakers and microphones.
- The camera doesn’t make any sound during activity or motion detection, it is perfectly silent and does not even have any automated messages.
- It has a size of 11 x 8.2 x 7 inches. Perfectly compact and easily hidden
- If you are not at home, you can monitor the activity outside of your home and activate a siren from anywhere using an IP based remote control through smart devices.
- You can even customize the motion detection and specify the areas and zones that you want to monitor and focus on.
Best Outdoor Security Camera for Cold Weather
#1. Google Nest Cam Outdoor Security Camera- Weatherproof Camera
Rain, snow, or hail, Google Nest Cam comforts you to keep an eye on your property, from anywhere. It’s wireless, and hence you can manage the activity right from your smartphone. You can get alerts when there is any activity with the help of a motion sensor.
The 24/7 security camera ensures to look after your place, day and night. One can listen and talk through your phone and protect your property before anything happens!
The 2.8 x 2.8 x 3.5 inches of dimension with 11 ounces of weight helps you to keep perfect surveillance and it is also easy to set up as it is free of wiring.
Google Nest Cam happens to be weatherproof and stands any weather, even the extreme ones. The camera easily plugs into the power that keeps you away from worrying about dead batteries.
The night vision feature comforts you to see everything in detail even at night, as clear as day. The camera illuminates the view with 8x zoom and 1080p HD, along with a recording feature, so that you don’t miss anything.
Intelligent alerts look out for every single detail which can spot a familiar face, listen to unusual sounds and faces, and the Nest speakers are just astounding.
Here we have a Youtube video that shows how to install and set up your Google Nest Cam Outdoor Security Camera.
- Two-way communication mic and speakers built-in.
- Day and night surveillance with weatherproof protection.
- Operate your camera from anywhere with remote control features.
- Supports Wi-Fi and enables live video streaming and video recording.
- Compatible with Chromecast TV, USB, and HDMI ports and smartphones with a single Google account.
- 130 degrees angle view with night vision of 1080p HD.
- Senses motion activities and sends alerts to your smartphones.
- 30 Day Nest Trial period available.
- Easy installation and mounting, doesn’t require professional assistance.
- Needs a special subscription for intelligent alerts.
- The online services take longer than usual to respond.
You may also like Best Jackets For Canadian Winter
#2. AIMECOR 1080P Wireless Security Camera System
Heimvision comes with four cameras accompanied by a central monitoring system with barrel shape design, each 6 inches in length. The matte finish in this robust built camera system prevents from dust accumulation.
Yes, it is water-resistant too, and works under IP66 waterproof, with performing highly under -4 degree (F) to 122 degrees (F).
The black cover on the lens with infrared LED on every side makes the shots glare-free. No, it doesn’t have any flashing lights, but the motion sensor which detects every single movement and gives you alerts.
It comes with an adapter and an 8-foot cable, as you don’t have to rely on the dead batteries. This is a battery-free product, which doesn’t depend on batteries and runs on AC power, which makes you free from time to time recharges.
It records in 1080p HD quality, covering up to 50 yards. The performance is sharp due to the digital noise reduction feature with a 110 degree view and clean night vision.
Indeed, this best outdoor security camera for cold weather is wireless and comes with an RF signal, which makes it run even offline.
- Installation and mounting are easy, as you get the mounting hardware.
- Suited for both indoor and outdoor.
- 24/7 watch and Wi-Fi connectivity with RF signal.
- Senses motion from 30 yards and starts the alarm system.
- AC power helps in zero worries about battery charge.
- Records the audio, the video quality is 1080p HD.
- Wireless signal repeater and can be expanded up to 8 cameras.
- You can install a central monitoring system on your phone with the Heimvision app.
- Two-way audio or communication is absent.
- Doesn’t come with an internal storage capacity.
#3. Ring Floodlight/Spotlight Camera Motion-Activated HD Security Cam
Ring’s newly developed motion sensor camera provides a wide angle view with 140 degrees horizontal and 78 degrees vertical with 1080p HD picture and video quality. With 1800 lumens brightness, the two LED floodlights that assist in perfect motion sensing.
It comes with two-way audio communication, accompanied by speakers and microphones. No automated messages available and indeed the camera doesn’t make any sound during any activity or motion detection.
With the dimensions of 11 x 8.2 x 7 inches, it looks perfectly compact and the installation is easier. The system is weatherproof with -22°F to 120°F or -30°C to 48.5°C, completely water-resistant too.
You can activate the siren from anywhere with the help of remote control features through your laptop, smartphones, or even tablets with which you can keep an eye around your property 24/7.
Customize the motion detection with the advanced technology as you can modify the areas and zones that you want to monitor and focus around your yard.
- Motion-activated floodlights with ultra-bright LED of 1800 lumens
- Enable extra alerts with Alexa, immediately after the activity or motion is detected.
- You can communicate with the visitors with an in-built microphone and speakers.
- Record all your videos up to the last 60 days, and the sharing features are available too.
- Advanced motion sensors with customization come with noise cancellation features.
- The 1080p HD picture and video resolution, with infrared live view and night vision.
- Customize your video and audio privacy easily.
- It sometimes fails to detect motion at night.
- The floodlight stops working after a while.
- Connection issues could be trouble at times.
You may also like Best Quilt for Elderly
#4. Arlo Ultra 4K UHD Wire-Free Security 2 Camera System
This wire-free security system with 7 x 7 x 7 inches of dimension, comes with the magnetic mounting that poses easy to install with the battery power that would easily site around your house both indoors and outdoors.
The design, is, however, amazing, as it also comes with a magnetic charger to improve the charging experiences.
The battery is easy to charge, as it can be removed through an accessory charger. Battery life also depends on your expectations and usage. Yes, there is permanent powering available, only when you connect it indoors.
The superior quality of 4K and HDR resolution which captures and records with a wide-angle view, balancing the dark and light scene, to give you a better picture and video quality overall.
It comes with a 180-degree angle view with automated zooming, color night vision, zooming, and tracking that is accompanied by 100 lumens LED spotlights with noise-cancellation microphones and alarms that are in-built.
- UHD video quality with 4K HDR zooming and color adjustment options.
- You can see more with a 180-degree wide lens which has auto-image correction technology.
- Enhanced color night vision with IR cut filter and high powered infrared 850nm LEDs.
- In-built and dedicated spotlight to light up whenever there’s an activity.
- Two-way communication is available with smart speakers and microphones.
- Noise cancellation technology that efficiently reduces other surrounding noises.
- Works with Alexa, and other smart devices.
- Weather-resistant and wire-free design with a cloud recording feature.
- It needs a new base station, doesn’t go with old or previous camera base stations.
- Extreme smart features require a subscription.
- Goes offline often.
#5. Blink XT2 Outdoor/Indoor Smart Security Camera
With its perfect circular designs, the 2.8 x 2.8 x 1.4 inches dimensions that has round yet square edges, which makes it easier to mount that is accompanied by the Wi-Fi network easily.
However, setup and installation of this best outdoor security camera for cold weather are convenient with the help of the Blink sync module that does not directly connect to your Wi-Fi network and it runs on battery power smoothly or you can also plug into the socket.
Video and audio quality with 1080p HD quality with a 110 degree angle view, which is easier to figure out individual faces at any distance both during the day and night.
The camera is accompanied by a smart app that features customizable activity areas, video quality, and motion sensitivity. You can easily set the recording length along with the camera’s motion sensor.
It has got an in-built thermometer, which will alarm you if the temperature goes extremely low or high.
You can also set up the detection activation for the motion sensor. The free cloud storage works just amazingly which lets you store for a total of 2 hours.
- Two-way communication with extended and long-lasting battery life.
- 24/7 live recording and motion view.
- Easy usage of the Blink smart app, can be connected through Alexa too.
- Free cloud storage is available for a year, without any subscription fees.
- 1080p HD coverage during both day and night, with infrared night vision.
- An in-built thermometer is available to alert you during extreme weather.
- Easy setup and installation, no professional touch required.
- Can be used both indoors and outdoors.
- Records up to 30 seconds per clip.
- Delayed responses from customer support.
You may also like Best Ways to Keep the Elderly Warm
Buyers Guide: What Should You Look For before Buying the Best Outdoor Security Camera for Cold Weather?
Certainly, many cameras are listed as weatherproofed, but not every model would work as per your expectations. Some might be resistant, some might get wasted due to extreme weather. Look out for the below before buying an outdoor security camera for your place.
The foremost factor that you have to consider is your privacy. Indeed, security breaches are nothing new. Security cameras often work over poorly guarded Wi-fi systems with low security and are easy targets for hackers and other nefarious people.
It is generally better to use two-factor authentication or encryption in your security system, which can assure you maximum security and privacy.
2. IP Ratings
IP ratings stand for “Ingress Protection”, which shows you how severe the weather can your outdoor security camera handle.
For cold weather conditions, you should look for a high-rated IP that assures you that the camera is able to tolerate even severe climatic conditions. Typically IP67 is the highest IP level security cameras go to, so look for IP67 rated cameras.
You may also like Best Winter Jackets for Working Outside
3. Special Features
There are some features that you need to look for, which includes:
- Cloud recording
- Battery backups
- Temperature control or monitoring
- Motion sensor
- Facial recognition
- Night vision
- Smart app or device integration
- Wireless range
- Viewing angle or length
- Two-Way audio
You can also opt for buying a solar panel-supported camera system, which could be extremely cost-effective in the long run.
4. Decide power source
You should choose between a wireless or wired camera. Indeed, both have their own pros and cons. While wired cameras require professional installation and also need a nearby power source for installation, wirelessly connected cameras may be affiliated by a poor wi-fi signal, which would lead the camera to lag.
Battery run cameras are great, but again, you need to have a pair of rechargeable batteries that can be used in rotation. Secondly, you need to keep changing the battery, and on a device like a security camera that is a really risky thing, since you might forget about it occasionally.
Surprisingly, these terms mean different things. Waterproof cameras can only resist and manage rains, but weatherproof cameras can handle all types of weather, in all patterns whether low, moderate, or extreme. These cameras also protect the visuals and pictures from dust accumulation.
You may also like
Frequently Asked Questions: Best Outdoor Security Camera For Cold Weather
Q: What’s the difference between surveillance cameras and security cameras?
Security cameras are an essential part of home security systems. They are often hooked up to a security alarm and are intended to monitor your backyard or front door for intruders. They may or may not run on IP systems as there are security issues with public network access to personal security cameras.
Surveillance cameras on the other hand are typically put in public places by government authorities for monitoring mundane activities. Examples include number plate monitoring systems. These are usually connected to IP networks and their feed can many times be accessed publicly as well.
Q: Are home security cameras worth it?
Considering that high-quality home security cameras can cost up to a few hundred dollars, this might seem like a reasonable question.
But the fact is that if you invest in the proper hardware, with the right kind of capabilities and the right IP rating to weather the elements in your home city, then this investment can last you for years, and provide your family with peace of mind.
If you live in a high crime area, a good security camera is your first line of defense against intruders and shady characters
Q: Do video cameras deter burglars?
While crime and its impacts are highly complex subjects and a single factor is often difficult to pinpoint as the cause for reduction or increase, empirical evidence does tend to suggest that video cameras at least help to deter criminals psychologically.
For example, a study done in 2007-09 showed that monthly auto theft and related crimes in public parking lots with security cameras were significantly lower as compared to those without them.
You may also like Best GPS Tracker for Elderly
Home safety and security is a priority for everyone. Security cameras have become essential devices to protect ourselves and our places. However, for people who live in extreme cold weather, it is important to look carefully before investing in an outdoor security camera, since not all can withstand snow and extreme weather conditions.
If you buy the right security camera, with a clean connection, long-lasting battery, and robust weatherproof design, you can rest safely in the knowledge that your home is forever protected.
In this article, we have selected the best outdoor security camera for cold weather based on the features mentioned in our buyer’s guide and the ratings and comments mentioned by actual users on Amazon.
In our opinion, the Ring Floodlight Camera... is the best choice, simply because it is the only one which can operate at temperatures as low as -22°F (-30°C). It also has great picture quality, floodlights, motion detection, and other advanced features.
If you are looking for a value for money option, you can also consider the Blink XT2 Outdoor/Indoor Smart... , which offers great value and features at a very reasonable price point.
If you are looking for a security system that alarms you when a loved one is moving out of the house, you should read: Best Door Alarms for Dementia