In this article, we review the best outdoor chairs for elderly. If you are in a hurry, the table below gives a quick snapshot of our top picks. Read on for a greater selection and our reviews and recommendations. Let’s take a look at each of them one by one!
Last update 2022-01-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Comfort, safety, and portability are key features to consider when shopping for an outdoor chair, especially for seniors. The back, knees, shoulders start to give out trouble later in life, and older adults often have mobility issues; thus, it is important to find an outdoor chair that can accommodate these needs.
Fortunately, there are a number of great outdoor chair options out there that are suitable for seniors.
Look for chairs that are comfortable, easy to climb into, and offer back and lumbar support. A chair that is sturdy yet lightweight also makes great portability for those looking to go on longer distance trips or special outings.
Our 5 Best Outdoor Chairs for Elderly
We spent a little over 20 hours doing our research to select the ideal outdoor chairs for the elderly. Some of the most important features that we focussed on were portability (lightweight), comfort (rocking, swivel), and the ease of getting in and getting out of.
You do not want to get yourself a chair that is not easy to move around or is difficult to get out of if you are suffering from joint pains. So without further ado, here is our list of the best outdoor chairs for the elderly.
#1 – Best Choice Foldable Zero Gravity Chair – Best Outdoor Chair for Elderly
Best Choice Foldable Zero Gravity Chair is our top choice for the best outdoor chairs for the elderly. The outdoor chair is ideal for taking on your trips as they are foldable and lightweight. Its rocking motion allows you to sway backward and forward and sit comfortably for long hours.
Features and Benefits
- Rocking Motion: The set of rocking risers allows you to sway forward and backward at a comfortable pace safely.
- Comfort: This outdoor chair is designed to provide complete comfort. Constructed with sturdy, replaceable elastic cords, it conforms to the shape of your body and distributes your body weight to help in relieving tension. The adjustable padded headrest can be adjusted or removed, allowing you to further optimize your comfort.
- Design: The zero gravity chair is lightweight and foldable. Its portable design gives you the convenience to take this chair on your adventure trips and makes for a great . It is made with weather-resistant fabric that gives this chair a long lifespan. Moreover, it is capable of holding a weight capacity of up to 250 pounds.
Why It Is Our Top Pick
The Best Choice Foldable Zero Gravity Chair is our top pick for Best Outdoor Chair for Elderly for the following reasons:
- A lightweight, foldable design makes this chair easy to carry on outdoor trips.
- An adjustable padded headrest allows you to adjust to a comfortable height.
- Replaceable elastic cords conform the seat and back to your body and distribute your weight.
- A weather-resistant fabric provides comfort while seated.
- Rocking motion allows you to sway forward and back relaxingly and safely.
- Capable of supporting a weight capacity of up to 250 pounds.
- Some iterations of this also come with a .
Why should you buy it?
If you are looking for a folding, supremely comfortable outdoor chair for your next trip, this zero gravity chair may be a perfect choice for you. This outdoor chair is lightweight and foldable for taking on outdoor activities. It has an adjustable headrest and rocking motion that gives ease and comfort to sit on it. It comes in multiple color options for you to pick and choose from.
A few customers have noted quality control issues including a clicking noise in the frame when rocking, and inconsistent sturdiness of the thinner armrests. When purchasing, be sure to inspect your chair to ensure yours does not have the same quality control issues.
What Makes the Best Choice Foldable Zero Gravity Chair the Best Outdoor Chair for Elderly
- This seat is bound to be comfortable for most users, with an accommodating weight capacity of 250 pounds, a height-adjustable headrest, and armrests.
- Also contributing to its comfort is its unique rocking ability that only some of our top picks can claim. Its rocking motion allows the user to sway back and forth and stay in motion while sitting and enjoying their time outdoors.
- Suitable for outdoor trips as its fabric is designed to be weather-resistant. In addition, the chair is foldable and light in weight so that it is easy to move around as well as store in a car for travel.
You might like to read: Best Chair for Hip Replacement Patients and When Can I Sit On a Normal Chair After Hip Replacement
#2 – SOLAURA Outdoor Rocking Chair – Best Patio Chair for Elderly
This rocking chair is our second choice for the best outdoor chair for elderly. The comfortable rocking chair has a smooth swing design to rock back and forth, as well as a solid, rustproof frame design. It comes in a set of two chairs along with a lovely, glass bistro side table.
Features and Benefits
- Design: This rocking chair has a smooth swing design for rocking back and forth. Its solid frame is made of painted iron that is sure to be durable over a long lifespan. The tabletop is made of dark tempered glass that is durable, shatter-resistant, and at the same time, quite pleasing to the eye. Moreover, there are buttons on the frame that prevent cushions from falling off.
- Cushion: The cushion on each chair is plush and soft. The bottom PVC strapping that supports the cushion is comfortable, allowing you to sit for long hours, and is durable enough to support heavier individuals.
- Ergonomic & Convenient: At only 17 inches high, the height of the chair has been reduced from previous iterations, allowing for comfortable knee bending. Moreover, the chairs require minimal assembly, enabling you to add elegance to your outdoor patio or backyard in no time.
Why should you buy it?
This set of patio furniture for seniors is an ideal choice to set in your home, patio, or backyard, complete with an included tempered glass side table. With a smooth rocking design and thick cushions, they are sure to provide comfortable seats on the patio for long hours.
While the cushions are soft and the straps holding them are durable, some may find the cushions to be a bit too soft. You always have the option to replace the cushions with firmer ones, so make sure the cushioning is comfortable enough to suit you.
What Makes the SOLAURA Outdoor Rocking Chair the Best Patio Chair for Elderly
- For those looking for a bit more of a classy aesthetic, this pair of rocking chairs is a great fit for any patio. The warm tone of the padding is sure to suit the warmth of any patio meal, campfire, or view of the sunset.
- Like the previous entry, the SOLAURA chairs feature a rocking motion, allowing the person sitting to experience a calming sway while they sit, adding another dimension to relaxation.
- The seats are designed to be durable, with their frames constructed of iron. The padded cushions tie nicely to the iron frame so you can be assured that they won’t slide off.
- Comes with a side table topped with durable tempered glass for placing food, decor, or a nice book.
You might like to read: Best Office Chair for Sciatica
#3 – Tangkula 4 PCS Folding Patio Chair Set – Best Folding Lawn Chair for Elderly
This deluxe set of four folding patio chairs are suitable for the elderly as they are lightweight and easy to carry around. They are quite simple to get in and get out of. The Tangkula folding chairs do not come with a lot of bells and whistles. But they get the job done.
If you are looking for chairs that are simple, comfortable, and lightweight, you can go for this one!
Features and Benefits
- Comfort: This set of chairs are quite simple and do not come with a lot of bells and whistles. So they may not score the highest points on the comfort factor. But having said that (and having used a set at home for ourselves), we know that sitting in these for a couple of hours will not be super uncomfortable as well.
- Weather Proof: Being outdoors means being exposed to the elements for most of the year. With a sturdy frame and wicker seat and backrest, these outdoor chairs are designed to withstand heat and rain.
- Design: You can easily fold this chair up and store it in small spaces. This is made of a for rust protection.
Why should you buy it?
Being foldable, this comfortable outdoor chair for elderly folks can be easily stored in small spaces. For outdoor activities and trips, you can conveniently store it inside your car and take it on the go.
At just over 10 pounds, this is the lightest chair in our selection, yet for such a portable chair, it is impressively rated to support up to 250 pounds of weight. With its simple design, armrests, and stable base it is an ideal outdoor chair for those looking for an easy-to-use, no-frills patio chair. Its foldability also makes for a great .
What Makes the Tangkula 4 PCS Folding Patio Chair Set the Best Folding Lawn Chair for Elderly
- This seat does not feature any sort of rocking or swiveling motion as found in the other entries on this list, but for both those wishing for just a stable seat with no frills, this model is for you.
- With a folding function and a lightweight design, this chair can be carried anywhere you wish to go, its stable legs will hold in place most anywhere you wish to take a seat.
- Featuring weather-resistant fabric and thick cords holding the fabric to the steel frame, the 250-pound weight capacity of this chair will support most individuals comfortably.
You might like to read: Best Power Wheelchairs for Outdoor Use
#4 – COSIEST 3 Piece Rocking Chair – Best Outdoor Furniture for Elderly
Our fourth pick is another 3-piece combo of senior-friendly outdoor furniture. This rust-resistant steel rocker with warm cushions and a glass top side table is designed with comfort in mind while on outdoor activities.
Features and Benefits
- Ergonomic: This steel rocker with poly-fiber gray cushions provide supreme comfort and durability. It features a matching glass top side table to complete the set.
- Comfort: The set includes a padded seat with cushion covers that are resistant to weather and offer excellent comfort and breathability. The extra-wide 2 inches armrest with X-frame reinforcement not only makes your chair more strong but also gives you the convenience to adjust the settings.
- Reliable: This solid steel-constructed outdoor chair is strong and durable. The chair is easy to assemble, requiring less setup effort on your part.
Why should you buy it?
The versatile rocking chair is designed for everyday comfort and better support for your back. The back rises 32 inches tall, and features the widest seat in our selection at 25 inches wide and 29 inches deep, making it a great high outdoor chair for elderly, larger individuals. The rocker features warm cushions, a glass top side table, and a wide armrest that ensures a comfortable seating position.
Reminiscent of our second pick, the cushions for these chairs are once again plush, but may be too soft for some, particularly heavier-set individuals. The same applies for the back cushions. The chair back is a good height for a shorter chair, but those wanting taller back support may want to consider a higher-backed chair.
What Makes the COSIEST 3 Piece Rocking Chair the Best Outdoor Furniture for Elderly
- Here we highlight another pair of classy rocking chairs featuring a side table. The cushions on this set of chairs are dark grey and may suit some patios better for those looking for a darker, more muted color than the SOLAURA cushions.
- The frame on these chairs is constructed of steel, whereas the SOLAURA was iron, potentially lending to a slightly lighter weight. However, the frames are bound to be just as durable and tie nicely to the thick cushions.
- These chairs are suitable for larger individuals with their taller backrest and wider seat, though do note that heavier individuals may find the cushions a bit soft and may flatten out a bit quicker than expected.
You might like to read: Best Hemorrhoid Pillows
#5 – PHI VILLA Patio Dining Chair
This classy, outdoor dining chair has a round, swivel base and extra-wide seat design that provides ergonomic back support and is great for any outdoor space. It comes in a set of two.
Features and Benefits
- Comfort: This great is designed with comfort in mind. The extra-wide 19.5 inch seat design with a round, swivel base makes it very stable. It has curved, smooth arms and the back support rises 102 cm from the ground to provide ergonomic support for your back.
- Design: Featuring a durable, ergonomic seat for better comfort, this unique dining chair also has a 360-degree swivel base that provides seating flexibility and relaxation. The chair is lined with durable textile that is breathable and easy to clean.
- Material: The outdoor chair is made with a powder-coated steel frame that is rust- and weather-resistant. With its durable design, it is capable of supporting a weight capacity of up to 250 pounds.
Why should you buy it?
If you are searching for an outdoor chair that gives you full back support, looks as elegant as it is durable, and can be used as a dining chair, this chair is for you. The chair has a round, swivel base and extra-wide seating design that ensures ergonomic back support and provides relaxation. The mesh lining dries fast if soaked in rain.
In contrast to some of our previous entries, this chair is lightweight despite its strong design. As such, it is easy to carry around, yet may risk toppling over in strong winds. One can always anchor the base of the seats with a heavy object if this situation really does come about.
You might like to read: Best Beach Chair For Elderly
A Buyer’s Guide: Best Outdoor Chair for Elderly
Choosing an ideal outdoor chair for the elderly is both an essential and enjoyable task as you’ll want to find one that is safe and portable, yet comfortable and attractive for your outings. With the right, comfortable outdoor chair, your age and back pains will not stop you from going out and enjoying all that life has to offer.
Thankfully, most outdoor chairs are designed with portable comfort in mind, making many suitable for seniors. They often offer soft or flexible seat cushions and backrests, while being foldable and light enough to carry to your outdoor activities. When choosing an outdoor chair, consider your needs and whether the chair serves the right features:
When looking for an excellent outdoor chair for the elderly, you will likely want to consider a lightweight and portable chair. A chair is bound to be lighter if it has a less dense yet sturdy metal frame.
It is a bonus if it can be folded into a more compact size, offering great storage convenience and portability so that you can carry them with you on longer trips.
A chair with adjustable features is beneficial for older people as they can often meet your changing seating needs. These chairs can have an adjustable seat and headrest that can be adjusted to suit your body and seating position.
with a rocking feature can allow you to safely rock back and forth and even lock in a reclined position. These recliner chairs often help to evenly distribute your weight so you can sit more comfortably.
Outdoor chairs with head support are definitely a feature to consider for an elderly user. Higher back chairs are often designed with a head support pillow so that you can keep your head comfortable while resting for long hours.
Chairs with built-in head support are advisable for those suffering from back, shoulders, or neck pains.
Material is an important factor to consider when shopping for a chair for outdoor use. Different materials provide different types of comfort. Look for an outdoor chair with softer, stretchable fabric or thick cushion.
With a comfortable seat and backrest material, you’ll be comfortable sitting on your chair outside for longer hours.
You might like to read: Best Hiking Sticks for Seniors
Color of the chair
For the aesthetically minded, the color of the outdoor chair is as important as anything else. But if you have already got yourself an outdoor chair, you can always pick up some paint for outdoor furniture and give your chair a makeover.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why is it important to get an ergonomic outdoor chair?
Ergonomic chairs are designed to support individuals in avoiding back pain. These chairs may help people to relieve their back pain as they help to promote a better sitting posture. This kind of chair allows for proper alignment of the shoulders, hips, and spine. It reduces abnormal strain on the body and gives better relief and comfort to your back. These chairs are certainly recommended for use by seniors due to the support they offer.
Should I opt for a high-back chair?
A high back chair is always a good option for those sitting for long hours at a time. These chairs are suitable for people who like to sit back and do not need to be mobile while seated. If you regularly complain of back problems, look for a chair that provides full back support. For better customization, look for one that is adjustable in seat height, depth, and angle of the back support.
What is the best material for a comfortable outdoor chair?
Treated polyester is the fabric that is most often used in the making of outdoor chairs. This kind of material is lightweight, soft, and allows you to sit on your chair for long hours. Polyester is water-resistant and allows moisture to pass through during hard rain. A soft fabric outdoor chair is always an excellent option as it's bound to be durable yet comfortable.
Should I cover my outdoor patio furniture?
A quality cover can always help in protecting your outdoor patio furniture. This includes the outdoor chair you're shopping for. A good cover will keep moisture and debris off both the cushions and hard surfaces of your furniture. This layer of protection can add years of life to your outdoor furniture.
You might like to read: Best Outdoor Chaise Lounge for Seniors
Parting Words: Treat Yourself to Comfort
Select the perfect outdoor chair for you and your older pals’ priority task if you want to enjoy your next outdoor trip or backyard with more ease and comfort. We have narrowed numerous outdoor chairs available down to some of the best chairs that are more suitable for elderly folk.
In this article, we looked at some of the very best outdoor chairs for elderly on the market. Here is a quick recap of some of our favorite picks out of the bunch:
Best Outdoor Chair for Elderly: Best Choice Foldable Zero Gravity Chair
In our opinion, the Best Choice Products Foldable Zero... is the best choice of outdoor chair among the various options that we have considered because it has an adjustable headrest and rocking motion that provides a combination of both flexibility and comfort that few other options have.
Best Patio Chair for Elderly: SOLAURA Outdoor Rocking Chair
The SOLAURA 3-Piece Outdoor Rocking Chairs... is our next best choice with its comfortable rocking design and plush, thick cushions, which will allow you to enjoy this patio chair for long hours. The included tempered glass side table completes the package, making it a great set of chairs for any patio.
Best Folding Lawn Chair for Elderly: Tangkula 4 PCS Folding Patio Chair Set
Our favorite folding lawn chair is the Caravan Sports 80012000020 Folding, Blue... . Not only does it fold for portability, but it is lightweight, durable, and has no rocking or swiveling motion for those wishing for a stable seat to relax in while out on the lawn.
Best Outdoor Furniture for Elderly: COSIEST 3 Piece Rocking Chair
To serve as an alternative to the SOLAURA rocking chairs, the COSIEST 3 Piece Bistro Set Patio Rocking... makes for a complete set of outdoor furniture as it also comes with a side table. The taller and wider seats of these rocking chairs help to accommodate larger individuals looking for some rest and rejuvenation outdoors.
For much lighter, foldable chairs for indoor and outdoor use, check out our best lightweight portable chair for seniors.
References: Diagnosing joint pain in the older people – PubMed (nih.gov)