Seniors can often benefit from having somewhere to sit at any time and anywhere. One could have a health condition such as heart or breathing difficulties or no hindering condition at all, as taking a seat during a walk can always enable a senior to catch their breath and regain energy.
Portable cane chairs for seniors are absolutely fantastic for this purpose, as they can be folded up, carried around, and placed down almost anywhere. As a mobility aid, these devices can negotiate staircases a lot easier than rollator walkers and other devices.
Better yet, many can double as a cane for walking so that they can be of bonus assistance rather than just weight to carry around, making them ideal for outdoor activities that involve strolling and hiking! Nearly 6.8 million Americans use mobility aids.
Speaking of weight, many foldable chairs for seniors have a very efficient design, such that they are as lightweight as possible. At the same time, still, be incredibly sturdy and capable of supporting larger weights.
Here, we review the best portable cane chair for seniors! Below is a great snapshot of our selection. Read further for an in-depth look and our review at these best choices.
Last update 2021-09-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Our 6 Best Portable Cane Chairs for Seniors
#1 – Freshore Store Folding Cane Seat
Freshore Store Folding Cane Seat is our number one choice for a lightweight, portable chair for elderly individuals. As a sturdy, foldable cane seat, it is designed for stability and convenience.
To start, what sets this chair apart from the rest on our list is that it sports the widest seat, with dimensions of 11.8 by 13.8 inches. Along with its breathable fabric material, this walking cane seat is comfortable to sit on for longer periods without fatigue.
In spite of its wide seat, the Freshore Store seat is still easy to open and can be folded into a walking cane, making it a convenient and practical choice to take anywhere for those with mobility issues.
Finally, the chair has a steady four-legged design with anti-slip rubber tip feet at the bottom of each leg, allowing it to grip and keep sturdy on a range of surfaces, including grass.
- Assistive armrest handles to aid elders in sitting and standing up more easily.
- A four-legged walking cane seat provides stability, even on grass surfaces.
- Sweat – absorb soft sponge handrail provides comfort.
- Breathable mesh fabric for warmer weather.
- Made to hold a capacity of up to 250 lbs, which is a high enough capacity for some heavier individuals.
- With a mesh fabric lining, this chair is not intended for folk to lean all the way backward on the backrest.
- Due to its wider and heavier design at 3.6 lbs, it can be a bit more cumbersome to hold as a walking cane when folded up, but the experience can vary by individual.
- This chair is not seat height-adjustable, so ensure it is an adequate seat height for your usage.
Why It Is Our Top Pick
The Freshore Store Folding Cane Seat is our top pick for the best portable cane chair for seniors for the following reasons:
- This is a dual-purpose gadget – when folded, it is a fully functional four-legged quad cane, and when opened, it is a comfortable seat.
- The stainless steel construction of this quad cane folding chair makes it very durable.
- Made of a comfortable and breathable mesh fabric.
- The chair has an appropriate seat height so that seniors can sit down and stand up with ease.
- Requires zero assembly/disassembly.
You may also like Best Outdoor Chaise Lounge for Seniors
#2 – MacSports Folding Cane Chair
The MacSports Folding Cane Chair is a versatile chair for older folk. It is an excellent option for those with weakness or walking problems.
This seat cane is a great combination of durability and lightness. It is constructed of a durable 600 Denier polyester fabric and is secured by a 19mm powder-coated aluminum tubing. At the same time, all of this weighs just 2 pounds, making it great for both sitting and walking.
The folding cane is one of the best aspects of this chair. Folded up, it will easily fit in an airplane’s overhead bin and be easily folded out into a seat whenever needed, making it very accessible for relaxation. In addition, it features a carry strap making it even more convenient for transportation.
In addition, with its black rounded handle and polyester fabric, it looks to us like an exaggerated umbrella, giving it a somewhat discrete and professional look!
- Made of powder-coated steel and Denier fabric.
- A lighter option on our list at just 2 lbs.
- Included carry strap to ensure ultimate mobility, ideal for beach, camping, concerts, and fishing.
- Feet can be removed by just a single screw for replacement with tips of choice (this may be recommended for use on smoother surfaces as the default feet are not rubberized).
- Assembling this chair is easy and convenient.
- The feet on the tips of the legs are made of plastic instead of rubber so that the chair may slide on smoother surfaces.
- The chair legs may show signs of buckling for heavier individuals. Be sure to test the seat before settling on this option.
- This chair is not height-adjustable, so ensure it is an adequate height for your usage.
You may also like Best Hiking Sticks for Seniors
#3 – M-GYG Adjustable Foldable Chair
M-GYG foldable chair is constructed with a cane seat groove design. This multi-purpose chair is a great combination of flexible travel cane seat and handy seat cane—a very portable chair, great for traveling, trade fair shows, or resting and shopping.
This chair has a great weight-to-weight capacity ratio. By that, we mean its high-strength aluminum tubing build is fairly light at just 2 pounds, making it great for carrying around with ease, yet it supports a high maximum capacity weight of 300 pounds that is suitable for much heavier folk.
It is important to choose a chair for you or your elderly loved one that supports their weight well so that they are safe and that remains durable for years to come.
Additionally, the tripod design is specially created to enhance stability, and the contoured legs are solid, sturdy, and stable.
- High-strength aluminum alloy and TPR anti-skid wear-resistant feet for durability and safety.
- The weight of this chair is just 2 lbs, one of the lighter options on our list.
- 5 level adjustable heights suitable for people with different heights, one of only two on our list (other being the Goplus Folding Cane Seat).
- When the cane is opened up, its legs form a sturdy triangle.
- A built-in LED light in the handle.
- The handle also features massaging acupuncture points.
- The seat diameter of this chair is 9 inches, which, while wide enough as a quick portable seat for many individuals, maybe too small for some.
You may also like Best Dining Chairs for Elderly
#4 – Drive Medical Deluxe Folding Cane Seat
The Drive Medical Deluxe Folding Cane Seat serves the dual purpose of a cane for walking and a seat when you need rest.
Weighing in at just 1.82 pounds, this portable chair is by far the lightest option on our list! This makes it very comfortable to maneuver for more active individuals and can be carried by just about anyone, making for an incredibly functional walking cane to assist in walking. In comparison, most portable chairs in this category are around 2 to 3 pounds.
An ultra-light chair does not equate to fragility, especially for this product. The seat cane constructed of strong aluminum tubing and features a tripod design for stable seating. Despite its lightweight design, it is capable of supporting a weight capacity of 250 pounds.
- Strong aluminum construction with tripod design.
- Vinyl contoured tipped legs to grip a variety of surfaces.
- Small removable strap to carry it on your shoulders.
- The walking cane seat weighs just 1.82lbs, making it the lightest choice in our selection.
- This chair does not have an adjustable height, so ensure that the seat is an adequate height for your usage.
- Due to the lack of adjustment, ensure that the walking cane handle is also an adequate cane height for walking with, and some users have found it to be either a bit too tall or short.
- The seat diameter is not available but looks in pictures to be one of the smaller seats in its category.
#5 – Goplus Store Folding Cane Seat
The folding cane seat BY Goplus Store comes in 2 in 1 design. This helps older people to walk better and allows them to rest easier.
This folding cane seat stands out in its category in two immediately noticeable ways. The handle has a built-in LED light, so it can double as a flashlight when used as a walking cane, making it a great option for elders to walk safely at nighttime.
Secondly, with its heavy-duty aluminum alloy construction and ABS board seat to ensure solid toughness and prevention from cracks, this chair supports a maximum weight capacity of 400 pounds! It the highest weight-bearing foldable seat in its category, making it suitable for heavier individuals.
- A portable folding cane seat that features a quick-folding mechanism for convenience, stability, durability, and comfort.
- A sturdy seat constructed of ABS.
- Chair seat has ergonomic massage points.
- High-strength rib reinforcement and solid aluminum buckles.
- The built-in LED light in the handle is powered by just two AA batteries.
- 5 levels of adjustable height suitable for people with different heights, one of only two on our list (other being the M-GYG Foldable Chair).
- Non-slip foot pads for a stable seat that prevents floor scratching.
- The chair has a high load-bearing capacity of 400 lbs.
- With its heavy-duty design, this chair is one of the heavier ones in its category at 3 lbs (though most individuals will still find it fairly light).
- The Centre joint of this chair has been found to be loose on a few units, so please check your unit for quality control first.
- It does not include the two AA batteries needed to power the flashlight – they must be purchased elsewhere.
You may also like Best Office Chair for Sciatica
#6 – AW Store Folding Walking Stick With Seat
The AW Store seat is the final 2-in-1 folding cane seat on our list and comes with features unique to it and not found on many other choices in its category.
This seat uses a unique folding mechanism that is much like the scissor-type fold of an ironing table. With four legs tipped with anti-slip feet, you can be assured that it will grip and remain stable on a range of surfaces.
With a fully stainless steel construction and 9-inch padded seat, this chair is as durable as it is a comfortable seat. Note that most other options in its category sport fabric or plastic seats.
- Firm and stable seat with a loading capacity of up to 242lbs.
- Features a red lock buckle, specially designed to prevent the seat from opening up accidentally while walking.
- Despite the smaller 9 inch seat, the seat is comfortably padded, unlike many other foldable cane chairs.
- The clip is of plastic, so it may not last long.
- It may seem tricky to fold this chair.
- This chair does not have an adjustable height, so ensure it is an adequate height for your usage.
- This chair is one of the heavier ones in its category at 3 lbs (though most individuals will still find it fairly light).
You may also like Best Power Wheelchairs for Outdoor Use
What Should You Look For When Buying a Portable Chair?
Buying a lightweight, portable chair for older folk is a worthwhile and productive investment. A quality portable chair will be supportive, comfortable, and lightweight. Keep these considerations in mind when buying a lightweight chair for your elderly:
Comfort and Support:
The most important aspect to look for when buying any portable chair is comfort and support. After all, these are the reasons we shop for a portable chair, is it not? This aspect encompasses all of the other considerations on this list. It is important to find a chair that accommodates your body size, and the seat itself should be of a comfortable material. We recommend a weather-resistant fabric or padded seat, though a plastic seat is decent if it is contoured well.
When folded into a walking cane, the cane handle should be a suitable height, it should not open up into a chair when walking with it, and the handle should be comfortable to hold. A lighter chair makes for a lighter cane to carry.
Size and Dimensions:
This is one of the most challenging and important aspects of a portable chair to look into, mainly because its size and dimensions are not always described very well, and it can be difficult to imagine the sizes before trying any chairs in person. The goal will be to find a chair that suits your height, both when seated and when holding as a walking cane. Ensure the seat is wide enough to be comfortable, as seats can vary from 9 inches in diameter to quite a bit wider.
If dimensions are the hardest aspect to shop for, this is likely the easiest. Portable chairs will always be labeled with a specific weight capacity. This will often range from around 250 to 400 pounds, which will be enough for many individuals. Select a chair that can accommodate your weight.
Being portable by nature, this form of chair should be foldable and easy to carry around. Every portable cane chair in this category can be folded into a slim design and sports a handle to carry it with. Ensure the folded design is unobtrusive to your walking, the handle is comfortable to grip, and the chair is light enough for you to walk with. This is important for elderly folk with reduced body strength.
When it comes to durability, the focus is on the quality of fabric and frame. If the chair seat is built with fabric, ensure that it is strong and weather resistant. Plastic seats will not have to worry about this element, though make sure that the seat is comfortable to sit on. Aluminum frames are lightweight and strong, whereas steel frames are even more durable though heavier as they are.
You may also like Best Geri Chair
Other Chairs To Consider
In addition to portable cane chairs, we thought you might be interested in exploring some other folding chair options for seniors. When choosing a portable folding chair for an elderly person you should consider comfort and safety as the main priorities.
The key is to find a chair with features that will allow rest without pain or discomfort. These can include padded armrests, a high back, and wide seats.
You should also look for lightweight materials such as aluminum, making it easier to move the chair from one place to another when necessary. Other features may be less important but still worth considering, like storage pockets and a cup holder; perfect for enjoying your favorite drink while relaxing outdoors on a sunny day.
Zero Gravity Chairs
For an elderly person suffering from a bad back, you should look into using a zero gravity chair. These folding chairs are designed to be as comfortable and ergonomic as possible. They use an inward-tilting seat design that forces your feet and legs to take some of the load, which can relieve pressure on your spine and lower body. They also provide more support than other types of chairs because they’re reclined, which is better for digestion and circulation.
The most popular models come with lumbar support that helps keep you in proper alignment when seated, while others offer a removable adjustable headrest pillow for comfort’s sake. Many come with padded armrests, cup holders, and side tables built-in, and some even come with canopies to keep the sun out, perfect for those days at the beach.
The only downside to this type of folding chair is that they usually have a heavy-duty steel or aluminum frame so they can be fairly heavy to carry. Even though the chair folds completely flat an elderly person might need assistance to carry a zero gravity chair.
Camping is a favorite pastime for young and old. It gives seniors an opportunity to relax and enjoy the outdoors. But when it comes to sitting around the campfire, they may need some help with their seating arrangements. There are several different camping chair options available on the market to choose from. For seniors who love the outdoors, a fold-up camp chair could be a good choice.
One of the best brands of camp chairs is Coleman. Coleman Camping chairs are perfect for seniors because they’re lightweight and can be set up in a matter of seconds. They also come with plenty of additional features to add comforts, such as a mesh cup holder, an included carry bag with shoulder straps, adjustable armrests, and more. Coleman even has a camp chair that includes an insulated cooler pouch that holds four cans making it the perfect folding chair.
Standing and watching the game isn’t always a choice as you get older and your legs aren’t as strong; that’s when a folding chair will come in useful. The best sports chair for seniors is the one that is stable and safe and provides them with a comfortable sitting experience. When shopping for this type of chair, the most important thing is looking at what it comes equipped with. Some folding sports chairs come with cup holders, padded armrests, and a storage bag to store them away when not in use.
If we had to narrow it down to one chair that would be ideal for sporting events, the Core Equipment Tension Chair would fit the bill. The core chair is an affordable option that offers superior support and helps improve posture. It’s lightweight at 9.6lbs and can support up to 300lbs. Additional features include a carry bag and an oversized cup holder.
The best beach chair for older people should offer a wide base and height adjustment so that they can easily get out of the chair. The stability of the beach chair is also important, as an older person will want to be able to sit in peace without worrying about being tipped over by children or others playing on the sand.
A good choice for seniors who love to spend time by the sea is the Rio Gear 4-Position Hi-Boy Backpack Beach Chair. It’s comfortable, lightweight, and easy to carry with its backpack straps. It weighs only 9lbs and comes with a large storage pouch so you can have all the useful items like your cell phone, drink, wallet, and sunglasses at hand. It has four positions that offer varying degrees of incline, and the extended height backrest is perfect for bigger and taller people.
Frequently Asked Questions
Folding chairs are a great solution for seniors who want to enjoy outdoor activities with friends and family. They are lightweight, portable, and easy to store when not in use. Read on for more information about some common questions people have about folding chairs for older folks.
Why should you choose a folding cane seat?
Great question! The answer is a folding cane seat’s multifunctionality and exceptional convenience. It can function both as a seat as well as a walking cane, requiring one just to fold and unfold it. This makes it very useful for outdoor activities and casual strolls where an individual might need to rest occasionally and regain energy.
How much weight does a folding chair hold?
Most folding cane chairs are made to support up to around 250 pounds. Some foldable chairs can hold up to 400 to 500 pounds, so there is a lot of variances.
How do you find a cane seat that fits?
Be sure the handle reaches around your waist height, and select a chair which seat height is a comfortable height for you to sit down on and stand up from, allowing you to bend your legs naturally. Folding cane chairs that have adjustable legs make the selection process easier as you can be assured you’ll be able to find a cane and seat height that is suited to you.
How do you store folding chairs?
Since these chairs fold up into a very slim design, they can easily be stored in your closet. They will fit in larger trunks and can be transported by car or plane.
How can you make your chair more comfortable?
You can add comfort to your chair by ensuring it is of a proper height. Some chairs have height-adjustable legs. Ensure the seat is wide enough and made of a comfortable material. Adding a seat cushion or using armrest pads may add to your comfort as well, though make sure these add-ons will not fall when the chair is folded upright into a walking cane.
You might like to read: Best Chair for Hip Replacement Patients and When Can I Sit On a Normal Chair After Hip Replacement
Parting Words: Comfort and Support On-the-Go
Walking can be tiring and challenging for many seniors, so finding a solution to provide support while walking is valuable. The portable cane chair has been a wonderful invention and can potentially be an excellent solution to this challenge. As described above, these chairs can function dually as a seat as well as a walking aid.
In this article, we have selected the best lightweight, portable chair for seniors based on the features mentioned in our buyer’s guide and the ratings and comments mentioned by real users.
In our opinion, the Freshore Walking Stick Folding… is the best choice among the various options that we have considered with its rich features, including an extra-wide breathable fabric seat, handles for standing up, and function four-leg design.
If you are looking for a value-for-money option, you can also consider the Folding Cane Chair – Walking… , which offers great value and features at a very reasonable price point, as well as an elegant umbrella-like design.
If you’re looking for a denser, more padded chair for outdoor use, take a look at our round-up review of The Best Outdoor Chair for the Elderly.
You may also like to read about other excellent chairs for the elderly here: What Is The Best Chair For Elderly?