In this article, we have reviewed the best hiking sticks for seniors. If you are in a hurry, the table below gives a quick snapshot. Or you can scroll down for detailed product reviews.
Last update 2021-07-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update 2021-07-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Hiking is a fun outdoor activity that includes walking long distances, especially across the hills and countryside. The activity has no age barrier, and anyone can enjoy it irrespective of his/her age.
As of 2018, around 16% of people between the ages of 50 and 64 were hikers. However, the elderly need to be cautious while hiking for obvious reasons.
Age may cause several problems while walking, and the risk of fall-related injuries turning into a life-threatening one is always a lot higher as you grow older.
If there is one companion who can help the elderly to enjoy hikes without having to depend on anyone else, then it is a nice hiking stick. The best hiking sticks for the elderly provide several benefits that make hiking enjoyable but also less dangerous.
Here we have a Youtube video that shows how to adjust and use trekking pole.
Let us have a look at the best hiking sticks for seniors. We start with our top choice below.
Our Top Choice – TrailBuddy Trekking Poles
The TrailBuddy Lightweight... is our top choice for “Best Hiking Sticks For Seniors.”
This is a lightweight yet very strong aluminum stick, which gives you better protection against impact as compared to carbon fiber sticks, especially if you are walking in rocky terrain.
The stick weighs 4 ounces lower than regular 6061 aluminum, making it an ideal hiking stick for seniors to hold.
Some of its other nice features are:
- You can easily adjust the height of this trekking stick from 25.5 to 54 inches and can do so while wearing gloves or in the rain because of its lever-lock mechanism
- The stick has a cork handle. Cork handles are great in all weather conditions, mold themselves to the palm of your hand, and repel moisture as well, making them easier to grip for weaker elderly hands
- There is a padded strap provided with the hiking stick, which can be wrapped around the hand without worrying about abrasions or chafing on the skin
- The stick is made available with a carrying bag, a set of rubber tips, a connector, and mud and snow baskets
- These hiking sticks are available in several bright and beautiful colors which are easy to spot from a distance
Detailed Reviews – Hiking Sticks For Seniors
If you need detailed information, we have reviewed here some of the best hiking sticks for you.
#1 TrailBuddy Trekking Pole – Top Choice
TrailBuddy Trekking Pole is an ideal hiking stick for seniors. This lightweight aircraft-grade aluminum-based hiking stick is perfect for use on rocky terrains or to support plus sized seniors, who can easily transfer their weight onto it.
It is a very durable walking stick and comes with a padded strap which can be worn around your hand for additional traction, without having to worry about skin abrasions or chafing.
The hiking stick has a cork grip, which molds to the shape of the user’s hand. Moreover, the cork based grip has moisture-wicking properties that absorb sweat and keep your hands dry throughout the day.
You can adjust the height of the stick from 25.5 to 54 inches without any trouble due to its lever-lock facility. The stick can be expanded while wearing gloves, or even when you are experiencing wet weather conditions.
This stick is suitable for people of all ages and can make a perfect gift for any elderly hiking enthusiasts.
- This stick is ideal for supporting plus-sized and elderly people.
- The cork handle on the stick is comfortable for use and molds itself to the user’s hand. It is moisture-wicking and remains at a comfortable temperature in both cold and hot conditions.
- The stick has a padded strap to wear around your hand without fear of abrasions or chafing.
- You can easily adjust the height of the stick between 25 and 54 inches using a twist-lock mechanism.
- This aircraft-grade aluminum stick weighs up to 4 ounces lighter than the regular 6061 aluminum, which is used for making hiking sticks.
- The stick is not designed for heavier snow conditions and hiking on snow.
- A couple of users found that the locking mechanism for height adjustment was broken.
You may also like Best Pedometer for Seniors
#2 Bafx Hiking Poles
Bafx Hiking Poles are one of the most versatile hiking products which can be used by both hiking experts and novices.
This pole is ergonomically designed with a comfortable grip. The aluminum construction of these poles makes the poles strong yet lightweight, making it easier for seniors to use it on rocky terrains.
The easy-grip cork handles and wrist straps make these poles perfect for weaker elderly hands. There are 2 pole tips provided with this hiking stick, along with the existing carbide tip already built into the stick. You can conquer every trail with these three different types of pole tips.
The hiking stick weighs only about 12.4 ounces due to its aircraft-grade lightweight aluminum construction. The hiking pole can be extended from a height of 26.5 to 53.25 inches, making it perfect for people upto the height of 6 ft. 4 in. There is an anti-shock feature designed into the carbide tip as well.
- These poles are perfect for beginners to experts.
- Each pole features two rubber tips, a carbide tip, and two mud baskets.
- These poles are made from lightweight aluminum and weigh only about 12.4 ounces
- The cork handle adjusts to your hand grip and is easy to hold for seniors with weaker hands
- There is a shock-absorbing feature in the carbide tip, which makes it easier for seniors to negotiate difficult terrain, and puts a lesser strain on their knees
- A small number of users found the poles to be flimsy and easily breakable
#3 Cascade Mountain Aluminium Poles
The Cascade mountain aluminum pole is a lightweight hiking pole. It features an adjustable wrist strap with soft interior wicks that gives comfort to the elderly when on tougher hikes.
The aluminum poles are stable even in uncertain terrains. The EVA-made handgrip is durable and prevents abrasion on the skin. The grip extension also allows a variety of hand positions with ease.
These aluminum poles are both durable as well as rugged. The cork grips help to provide exceptional comfort and reduce the vibration due to shock, keeping your knees safe.
These height-adjustable poles can extend from 26 to 54 inches.
These poles are simple to use and give a lot of support to hikers, walkers, or backpackers. They give you stability over both flat surfaces and uncertain terrains.
These poles are available along with a carrying bag, sand and mud baskets, rubber boot tips, rubber tips, and pole clips
- Aluminum constructed poles, lightweight yet durable
- The cork grip on the poles adjusts to your hand shape and is easy to hold for weaker elderly hands.
- The EVA based grip absorbs moisture and provides a smooth grip.
- The hiking stick is capable of quick adjustments as and when needed.
- The poles can be adjusted between 26 and 54 inches of height.
- They are perfect for use by kids, women, and seniors.
- The poles may often slip down on tough hiking.
- It may be complex for beginners.
You may also like How to Get Elderly Walking Again
#4 TheFitLife Trekking Poles
TheFitLife Trekking Poles are collapsible trekking poles with natural cork handles and extended EVA grips. The poles are made of pure carbon fiber, and therefore offer ultra-light but sturdy support to elders on their hiking journey.
The natural EVA foam grip provides a soft and comfortable experience. The well made flip-lock mechanism helps users to adjust the height between 24 and 53 inches. A secure fastener on the stick helps to secure the stick after the height adjustment is completed.
There are tungsten tips on the stick that come with improved rubber protectors, which helps to make these poles more durable.
The poles come with a clear measuring scale. The scale is marked in centimeter for quick and accurate positioning. There is a “stop” mark indicator, which indicates the maximum safe height of the stick.
An adjustable wrist strap helps to prevent your hands from getting blistered after a few hours of trekking, thus giving you a relaxing feel while enjoying your trekking experience.
- They are made of carbon fiber that makes them lightweight yet sturdy.
- The flip-lock technology allows you to easily extend the poles between 24 and 53 inches.
- The tungsten-based tip with soft rubber coating gives a better grip on slippery surfaces.
- The Natural cork grip handle with EVA foam is easy to hold and also repels moisture.
- The stick weighs only 0.44 pounds and is very easy to lift
- The cork handle of the stick tends to come off as per some users
- Some users also complained that the rubber tip falls away in rough terrains
#5 Equipeak Folding Hiking Stick
This high-quality stick can take your hiking adventures to a whole new level. The stick is sturdy and reliable enough to last for many treks.
These aluminum walking poles are strong enough to manage the body pressure of a senior even while walking on rougher terrains
The aluminum alloy construction makes these sticks lightweight and easy to carry. These ultralight and compact poles are ideal for backpacking. They do not let you feel tired even while on tough treks.
These poles also come with a mud and snow basket, and a pair of extra tips. The design of these poles is made, keeping in mind the need of elders.
They can easily carry them while traveling or even use them for their daily activities. The single flick lock adjustment can easily be used to adjust the height of these sticks as per your convenience.
- Unique and easy to use the folding system.
- Easily fit inside your luggage or backpack.
- Sturdy and reliable enough to carry because of aluminum construction.
- Rubber heads for comfortable use.
- Easily folding and collapsible mechanism.
- Easy to use on hard surfaces.
- Assembling these poles is a bit difficult as per some users.
- A few users complained that the bottom section tends to fall out of its place.
You may also like Best Mobility Scooters for Outdoors
#6 Hiker Hunger Trekking Pole
Hiker Hunger Trekking Pole is an easy, lightweight, and compact pole for any adventure. These poles are ideal for taking on mid-winter expeditions, backpacking routes, and other adventures.
These poles feature an ergonomic grip of cork that is moisture-wicking, comfortable, and also conforms to your hands’ shape. These carbon fiber made poles are ultralight and support seniors to adjust their body weight.
They are one of the strongest hiking poles for elders. You can take them anywhere, as they are highly durable and convenient. They also have an adjustable height feature for your convenience.
The grip of these poles fits like a glove, making it easier for you to take on hard treks or for other adventurous trips.
These poles are made to conform better with the shape of your hands. They are made of carbon fiber, which makes these poles shock absorbing. These poles can easily be folded and are small enough to pack in your bags.
- It comes with a strong flip-lock and metal tightening bolt.
- Better storage pocket accessories.
- Quick-lock technology allows users to adjust poles length.
- The tip is made to increase your traction.
- Lightweight and compact poles for a great adventure.
- Reduce pressure on the legs and lower back.
- Difficult to assemble these poles.
- Cork and carbon may not work well.
#7 AUTOPkio Trekking Pole
AUTOPkio Trekking Pole is the safest and most versatile hiking equipment for the elderly. These folding aluminium constructed poles are ultralight and adjust to the needs of seniors.
It also has an indicator for quick and accurate positioning. The stop mark indicates the maximum height.
These sticks are very lightweight; you can easily put them in your carry bag or suitcase. The rubber tips of these poles are perfect for indoor use and rocky surfaces.
These poles are ideal when you walk on the snow. The snow baskets provided with these sticks prevent them from sinking in the snow.
The poles can just as easily be used in the sand as well. They are adaptive to any terrain. Moreover, a removable trekking basket helps to prevent it from sinking into dirt or sand.
- The ergonomic plastic handle grip offers better comfort.
- Storage bags make walking poles easy to carry.
- EVA foam handles are sweat absorbent.
- Rubber tips work better on rocky surfaces.
- Lightweight and adjustable poles.
- Quick-lock gives more safety to elders.
- The extension part may break easily as per some users
- Assembling these poles may take a bit of time.
You may also like Best Bowling Balls for Seniors
What should you look for before buying a hiking stick?
Hiking sticks are essentially designed to provide proper balance. They provide assistance to you during your hiking activities. Therefore, it is important for you to find a stick that gives you perfect balance while walking, even on rougher surfaces.
Hiking sticks and specifically those that are made for seniors should be lightweight and easy to carry.
They should not be a burden on your hands and shoulders. Ideally, carbon fiber or aluminum is the right material to look for as far as construction is concerned.
Work On Various Terrains:
A good pair of trekking poles should be able to work on all kinds of terrains or even on hard snow. It should provide stability on hard surfaces or during tough treks. It should have various types of tips for negotiating each type of surface.
Senior walkers and hikers should look for a hiking stick that comes with a padded wrist strap. They let you hold the handles firmly by providing a better grip. These poles also come with adjustable features, especially for seniors. Users can easily adjust them at their convenience.
You may also like Best Outdoor Chair for Elderly
Frequently Asked Questions:
Do walking sticks help?
Walking sticks help to improve balance and stability. They also help to maintain proper posture, especially in the upper back.
Moreover, these poles help in better mobility, and it takes some of the load off from your back or muscles. This helps you to get relief from your walking sticks.
Are hiking sticks adjustable?
Yes, hiking sticks are adjustable. You can adjust the height of these poles as per your convenience by using the flip-lock mechanism available on most of these sticks.
What is the basic difference between a cane and a hiking/walking stick?
Walking sticks aids in better mobility, but they are not designed to take much of the weight. But canes are specifically designed for weight carrying capabilities.
Canes are made to provide full support to the users. People with a higher weight must look for a cane, whereas if they plan to go on a hiking trip, they can go for a hiking stick as they are lighter than canes.
You may also like Best Walking Aids for Elderly
Walking or hiking sticks provide additional stability for outdoor activities. These sticks help balance and assist movement. Taking a hiking stick while traveling or on your trekking trip is a good choice, especially for seniors.
In this article, we have selected the Best Hiking Sticks For Seniors based on the features mentioned in our buyer’s guide and the ratings and comments mentioned by actual users on Amazon.
In our opinion, the TrailBuddy Lightweight... is the best choice among the various options that we have considered because it is sturdy and rich in other features.
If you are looking for a value for money option, you can also consider the Trekking Walking Hiking Poles... , which offers great value and features at a very reasonable price point.