In this article, we have reviewed the best grabber tools for the elderly for you. If you are in a hurry, the table below gives a quick snapshot. Or you can scroll down fro more detailed reviews.
Last update 2021-05-08 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Have you ever had to struggle because you could not reach that jar of cookies on the top shelf of the kitchen cupboard? Or that pesky car key that fell behind the table and you had to twist yourself out of shape to reach it?
Now imagine how hard it would be for an elderly person, who wouldn’t want to get up on a ladder (because a fall can be catastrophic) or who can’t bend down or twist themselves, because of arthritis and joint pain?
A reacher grabber tool can be a lifesaver for the elderly in a situation like this. It is meant to act as an extension of your hand to help you reach out for and grab hold of things out of your reach.
A reacher grabber is made of a long shaft connected to a gripping device that is activated by pushing a button or other mechanism that is present on the other end of the shaft.
It is particularly useful for the elderly, and more so when they have medical issues such as arthritis, back pain or any other physical condition.
Apart from extending your reach, grabber tools are also useful in ordinary work, where you do not want to bend down or touch what you are picking up, directly. They can be useful in retrieving dropped items, reaching high cabinets, gardening, collecting trash, taking care of mouse traps with mice and several other such use cases.
Types Of Reacher Grabbers
Reacher grabbers fall under 3 main types:
Suction cup based grabber
The gripping mechanism of a suction cup based grabber is based on 2 suction cups attached to the tip of the jaw, one at each end. These are ideal for picking up round objects such as golf balls and delicate items which can break if they are dropped. They are also very useful for changing light bulbs.
Claw based grabber
Claw based grabbers are ideal for small objects such as keys, keyrings and jewellery. They have a non-slip gripping surface attached to the tips of the claws, which allows them to hold on to the object more tightly without damaging it.
Rotators, as the name suggests, have a head which can be rotated (up to 360 degrees in some cases). Rotators are especially useful for grasping items that have a vertical or horizontal orientation and require the person to twist their wrist to pick them up. Rotators can have either suction-based or claw based grabber attached to them.
You may like to read about: Best Nail Clippers for the Elderly
How to Select the Right Reacher Grabber?
There are several parameters that one can evaluate a reacher grabber on. The most useful parameters, of course, depend on the need of the person and the reason for usage. Below are some thoughts on what to look out for, when selecting your perfect grabber:
- Weight Capacity: If you intend on using the grabber for lifting heavyweight items, make sure you select a heavy-duty grabber tool.
- Foldable grabbers: If you plan on carrying your grabber around with you, or have a paucity of space in your home, a foldable grabber is useful to have. Keep in mind though that the folding action compromises on the weight capacity and shaft strength.
- Adjustable shaft length: If you need you grabber to be able to reach both short as well as long distances, there are grabbers on the market with adjustable shaft lengths.
- Grabber weight: Elderly people typically have lower arm strength and would prefer to have a lightweight device. Most grabbers in the market are made of aluminium which gives strength while keeping the item light.
- Rotators: As discussed already, rotating tip grabbers can help pick up items that are either vertically or horizontally oriented. Rotation can be from a basic 90 degrees right up to a complete 360-degree movable head, which is the most versatile grabber.
- Magnet Tipped Grabbers: Some devices have magnets on the tips that are useful for picking up small metallic objects (like iron nails)
- Locking jaw grabbers: Most grabbers release the claw as soon as the grabbing trigger is released by the user. However, in some cases, it might be preferable to have a jaw which remains clenched until explicitly opened. This is especially useful for people with arthritis, as they do not need to keep the trigger pressed while lifting the grabber.
- Contoured triggers: Triggers with a rubber tip for texture which makes it difficult for your fingers slip off during usage are another useful thing to look out for
- Ergonomic handles: Lastly, it is good to have ergonomic handles, for ease of handling the grabber
- Price: Of course, it would be nice to have all of the above features in the cheapest device, but then that’s not how the world works! Know what you need, and buy the cheapest which satisfies all of your conditions.
Depending on your intended usage and needs, some of the above features would be must-haves and others nice-to-haves. It is important to make that distinction for yourself before going out to search for the perfect device.
Best Grabber Tools for the Elderly
We present to you, the best reacher grabber tools that are suitable for use by an elderly person. Our absolute favorite is the RMS Extra Long Grabber because of being light weight, well priced and versatile. The absolute value for money reacher grabber tool is the Unger Professional Nabber. You can look at the review below to get an idea of the option most suited to your use.
What is the Best Cold Laser Therapy Machines?
#1. RMS Extra Long Reacher Grabber – Best Grabber Tool for the Elderly
The RMS extra-long reacher grabber consists of 3 designs – 19, 26 and the extra-long 32-inch design.
It has a soft rubber-tipped, anti-slip grabber tool attached. One of the best features that this tool has is its 90-degree rotatable jaw that can be locked in place to pick items both vertically and horizontally.
The RMS grabber also features a soft grip trigger and ergonomically designed handle for easy pickup and grabbing motion.
- 90 degree rotatable, lockable jaw
- Soft rubber tipped anti-slip
- Soft grip trigger and ergonomic handle
- Available in 2 colours: Yellow and Blue
- Cannot pick up items more than 4 inches wide.
#2. Ettore Grip’n Grab
The Ettore Grip’n’Grab is available in two options: 32 inches and the extra-long 50 inches option. It features a 90-degree rotatable articulation head and is lightweight (only 4.2 ounces).
This product has textured rubber grip tips for easy pick up of the smallest of objects, right up to objects of a weight of 5 pounds. It also features a comfort grip which helps to reduce repetitive motion fatigue in patients of arthritis.
- Available in 32 inch and extra-long 50-inch options
- Comfort grip and rubber-tipped jaws
- 90-degree rotatable head
- Recent users have updated that the product quality has declined significantly
- Light product, but not very sturdy
#3. Homecraft Handi Reacher
The Homecraft handi reacher has 3 versions – 24 inch, 30 inch and 36 inches. The extra-long handle on the 30 and 36 inches is useful for grabbing items from a high up shelf or for tall people.
The grabber features a 360-degree rotatable jaw with a non-latex pickup tool that gives higher traction for holding on to objects.
It has a small yellow tip against a black rubber jaw, which gives good visibility esp. To elders with poor eyesight. The grabber weighs on 5.3 ounces and can pick up objects of about 2 pounds
The product is built from high quality, durable aluminium.
- Extra-long options available
- Yellow tip against a black background, ideal for people with poor eyesight
- 360-degree rotatable jaw
- Does not pick up objects heavier than about 2 pounds
#4 Unger Professional Nifty Nabber
The Unger professional is available in 2 lengths – 36 inches and the extra-long version for 48 inches. It features an ergonomic grip and heavy-duty claw design.
The product itself weighs only 2 ounces, making it one of the lightest in this list. The unit is made from aluminium which gives it the characteristic low weight and better strength than traditional steel-based grippers.
- Available in extra-long version (48 inches)
- Weighs only 2 ounces
- Ergonomically designed grip and heavy-duty claw design
- Difficult to use for arthritic patients as the handles are hard
#5. Vive Reacher Grabber
The Vive reacher grabber is built of sautered steel wiring, which makes it extra strong. It can carry a weight of up to 5 pounds at a time.
The jaw can rotate a full 360 degrees and is coated with anti-slip material to ensure that you can lift items without any hiccups
This grabber also features a contoured handle and trigger to reduce pain in arthritic hands.
- 360-degree rotatable head
- Anti-slip coating on the grip
- Contoured trigger and handle
- Durability is poor
Here we have a video featuring teacher grabber by Vive.
#6. Duro-Med Reacher Grabber
Lightweight grabber with ergonomically designed trigger and handle which is made from durable plastic. It has a magnetic pickup tip for metallic objects.
The jaw opening is between 2 and 2.5 inches wide, thus having a wide reach, with interlocking tips. The jaw features rubber-tipped grips
The gadget is 32 inches long and weighs 7.2 ounces.
- Magnetic tip
- Wide jaw
- Grabbing power is low
#7. Luxet Grabber Reacher Tool
One of the few grabbers which have a steel-based shaft, giving it more strength though adding a bit on the weight (11.2 ounces on shipping). The Luxet grabber also has a magnetic piece on the jaw, for picking up metallic objects.
The device is compact and foldable and features an ergonomically designed handle as well. The shaft length is 32 inches.
- Sturdy, steel-based shaft
- Magnet tipped for picking up metallic items
- Compact and Foldable
- Jaws are not rotatable
- The grip is weak (made of plastic)
Conclusion and other Resources
A reacher grabber tool can improve the quality of life for elderly people. It can help them reach for out of reach things and prevent injuries. You can read this article if you are looking at other devices to make the lives of seniors simpler and independent.
We have also covered the best posture correctors for the elderly. They help seniors maintain the right posture to prevent problems like hunchback and stiff muscles.
A recliner chair can be a great place for seniors to relax in. Lift chair recliners also help you get up easily from a comfortable seated position. You can read our article about lift chair recliners to help you know more about this wonderful product.
Finally, if you are looking at useful gifts for the elderly, we have you covered. In this article, we talk about the most practical and thoughtful gifts that you can give to an elderly person. You can look at gifts starting from a few dollars to hundreds of dollars depending on your budget.