We have reviewed the best Can Opener Electrics for seniors. If you are in a hurry, the table below gives a quick snapshot of the top 6.
Last update 2021-10-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update 2021-10-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
According to the CDC, 23% of adults in America have arthritis. The weakening of hands and legs with old age is a common problem that we are all aware of.
What many of us don’t see (or realize) is the kind of problems that our seniors have to face on a daily basis because of that weakness. For example, opening a simple can of tuna can be a nightmare when you don’t have the strength to cut it open.
An Can Opener Electric can be used to open cans smoothly and effortlessly. They are perfect for senior citizens and arthritis patients.
We have shortlisted some of the best Can Opener Electrics for seniors. Let’s look at all of them one by one.
Our Top Choice – Hamilton Beach Can Opener Electric
The Hamilton Beach (76606ZA) Smooth Touch... is our top choice for Best Can Opener Electrics For Seniors
This opener is a very simple yet functional device. It opens cans and tins smoothly and its feather touch feature is very soft on elderly hands.
Some more features of the can opener are
- It comes with a lever which is easy to push-down, which makes quick work of removing both regular and pop-top cans.
- Since the blades cut on the sides of can, it minimizes the blade’s contact with food and prevents spillages. The can remains closed until you have removed it from the device.
- The blade has a lever to quickly remove the lid, which does not require a strong grip either.
- The blade cuts the lid on its sides rather than cut from the top; this ensures that the lid is cut with smooth edges.
Best Can Opener Electrics For Seniors
#1 Hamilton Beach Can Opener Electric
The Hamilton Beach can opener is very easy to use as it has a smooth lever that can open up both pop-top and regular cans. It is specially designed so that its blade cuts the sides of the can instead of the top, unlike other can openers. It also has an easy push-down lever, which quickly removes the can lids. The lid remover does not require a very strong grip.
Can Opener Electrics are suitable for older adults as they find it difficult to open cans once their fingers and wrist muscles start becoming weak with advancing age.
Another great feature of this Hamilton can opener is that its side cut design minimizes the blade’s contact with food and prevents the food or liquid from spilling out.
- It comes with a large ergonomic lever, which is very easy to use as it requires less grip strength, making it suitable for the elderly.
- The blade smoothly cuts the lid without leaving any sharp edges.
- The design of the opener is mess-free, which ensures cleanliness and hygiene in the kitchen.
- The can opener has a sleek chrome and black design, making the opener look stylish and appealing.
- This opener is a countertop appliance that runs on electricity and is wired.
- Some users mentioned that after prolonged use, the opener started leaving metal shreds.
- Some users reported difficulty in using the appliance to open cans.
You might be interested in: Best ADA Compliant Microwave
#2 Cuisinart Electric Deluxe Can Opener
The Cuisinart electric deluxe can opener works on an engineered motor system. This strong and powerful motor makes the opener operate smoothly on all types of cans.
The can opener opens cans with a single touch of the lever, making opening cans effortless. This feature is ideal for the elderly who have weak hands and cannot open cans on their own.
Here we have a video that shows how to use Cuisinart Deluxe Can Opener Electric.
- The can opener has a powerful blade that smoothly cuts through the can lids.
- It also has a lid holder which is magnetic that holds the lid of the can after it is cut.
- The can opener is suitable for all standard size cans.
- It has a detachable activation lever, which makes the can opener easy to clean and maintain.
- The opener has an extra large base that prevents the cans from tipping or slipping.
- It is a wired, countertop electric appliance.
- The blade can become dull after extensive usage.
- Some buyers mentioned that the opener leaves tiny bits of metal shredding on the counter.
#3 Hamilton Beach Classic Can Opener Electric
This Hamilton Beach Can Opener Electric has a patented supercut technology that opens the can on the first attempt every time. It also has a tall design that allows the users to open cans of different sizes easily.
The can opener has a removable cutting unit that can be washed in a dishwasher. This makes cleaning it easy and simple.
It has an auto-shutoff feature, which automatically shuts down the can opener once the can is open, thus encouraging hands-free operation.
The blade of the opener is fairly sharp, and it does not get dull even after prolonged usage. The can opener is a beautiful countertop addition to your kitchen.
- The can opener is a multi-purpose device that can also work as a knife sharpening device.
- The blade of the opener opens the can from the inside edge.
- It has a special feature that allows the user to open tall cans easily.
- Stylish chrome lever and black design enhance the overall look of the opener.
- The opener efficiently cuts the lids open without leaving any sharp edges.
- The can opener has an auto shut off features, for easy, hands-free operation.
- It is a countertop appliance that runs on electricity.
- It has a removable, dishwasher-safe cutting unit to make cleanup simple.
- The opener may tilt while opening heavy cans as it is a lightweight opener.
- Some users mentioned that the can labels could get stuck in the opener, causing it to stop working.
You might be interested in: Best Manual Can Openers for Seniors
#4 Kitchen Mama Can Opener Electric
This is a handheld opener that opens cans in three simple steps. The elderly will find it easy and quick to operate this can opener.
It safely opens the lid of can without leaving any sharp edges. Sharp edges are best avoided in a senior person’s kitchen, because they can cause cuts and lead to unwanted injuries.
The can opener’s blade does not come in contact with food, keeping the food clean and hygienic.
This Can Opener Electric is suitable to use by the elderly, kids, injured people and people who have weaker hands as they only have to push a single button, and the can opener will open the lid as well.
- The can runs very smoothly on 4 AA batteries.
- The can opener has an easy two tap button use, one to start the can opener, which then opens the lid by a 360° rotation on the can while the other tap to stop the opener.
- The blade removes by cutting the side of lid without touching the food.
- The can opener does not puncture the cans like some traditional cans which can spoil the food.
- The Can Opener Electric is a handheld device, and it’s dimensions are 2.76″ length, 2.17″ width and 7.09″ high with a weight of 8.5 pounds, making it suitable for the elderly.
- The can opener did not last very long in a few cases.
- Some buyers suggest that some cans might require two rotations to open completely.
#5 Can Opener Electric from AmazonBasics
Not too big or heavy, this can opener from AmazonBasics is a good buy for the elderly. The Can Opener Electric can open cans that are of standard size.
It has a built-in holder that prevents the lid from dropping in the can after opening, avoiding unnecessary spillage from the can. It boasts of a sharp and smooth stainless steel blade that cuts through the lid smoothly without trouble.
You need not be concerned about the amount of space the can opener is going to take. The perfect dimensions and non-slip base makes sure that you can rest it at ease on one corner of your countertop.
The stainless steel blade with the durable plastic casing talks about the durability of the product. The automatic on and off mechanism makes sure that you can get the can cut perfectly. The most amazing thing that I think about this product is its design. You don’t need to move a muscle to open cans smoothly.
- Its perfect size allows you to fit it in any corner of the countertop in your kitchen, and the non-slip base provides maximum support to it while opening. You need not be worried about uneven cuts, where the blade juts out from the can and might lead to accidents.
- The magnetic lid holder makes sure that the lid does not fall inside the can after cutting, avoiding spillage in the process.
- It has an automatic on and off mechanism that allows you to save power when the opener is not in use.
- The can opener comes in an appreciable metal body, but the plastic casing is not approved by many buyers.
- It is not suitable for small cans. Only standard-sized to big cans can be opened effectively.
You might be interested in: Best ADA Compliant Refrigerator
#6 Vivibyan Can Opener Electric
The Vivibyan Can Opener Electric is a powerful handheld Can Opener Electric with a very smooth cut technology. The smooth cuts are due to its innovative side-cutting technique, which creates a re-sealable lid with a smooth edge.
The opener is also very reliable as it is made out of high-quality ABS and stainless steel. The dimensions of the handheld Can Opener Electric are 6.65-inch length, 2.64-inch width, and. 2.13-inch height.
The Can Opener Electric is very convenient as it effortlessly opens cans by just clicking a button to start or stop. This feature makes it easy to use and reliable for the seniors and the people who have arthritis.
- The Can Opener Electric is easy to clean with a simple damp cloth.
- It does not run on electricity; rather, it runs on two AA batteries.
- It is ideal for opening tin cans of any sizes.
- The opener has a low profile sleek design which makes it suitable for storage.
- It ensures the food’s hygiene as the blade never touches the food, and even the lid does not touch the food.
- The Can Opener Electric is lightweight with 6.9 pounds, suitable for older adults and arthritis patients.
- The battery area is exposed to water when cleaning the opener, which can cause it to get damaged.
#7 Bangrui Smooth Can Opener Electric
The Bangrui Can Opener Electric is very easy to operate the device as it turns on with a single button tap. It automatically starts rotating and cutting open the lid of the can. The can opener is suitable for older adults and arthritis patients because of its easy application process.
The Can Opener Electric cuts the lid’s inner side safely without leaving any uneven edges that can harm the user. It keeps the edges smooth and perfect for sealing, which helps in preserving the food. The dimensions of the opener are 7.05-inch length, 2.75-inch width, and 2.46-inch height.
- It also has safety grooves and sliding gears, which prevents the accidental bruising of the fingers.
- It is made out of solid alloy steel and ABS, which makes it durable and wear-resistant.
- It does not require any water to clean as the opener can be easily cleaned with a damp cloth.
- Its design allows a firm grip on both left-hand users and right-hand users.
- The weight of the electric handheld can opener is 8.4 pounds suitable for the elderly.
- The opener is cordless, making it more portable.
- It is battery-operated, it runs on 4 AA batteries.
- It is not effective on edgeless cans and tins.
- Few users complained that the opener leaves behind tiny metal bits after opening the can.
You might be interested in: Best ADA Compliant Dishwasher
What Should You Look For When Buying an Can Opener Electric?
The ideal Can Opener Electric must cut the lid of the can smoothly. Smooth edges reduce the chances of any cut or damage to the user.
Easy to Operate
The Can Opener Electric should also be very easy to operate as the older adults who use it cannot put much effort into opening the cans. They require the opener to work effortlessly as elderly and arthritis patients have a weak arm, wrists, and finger muscles, restricting them from manually opening the cans.
Sharp and Durable Blade
The ideal can opener must also have a sharp and durable blade that can perform consistently for a long time without getting dull. If the blades get dull, then this would destroy the whole purpose of a can opener as it would not be able to cut open the cans’ lids. Sharper blades with good wear resistance are ideal for can openers as they increase the opener’s longevity.
Easy To Clean
The can opener should also maintain a level of hygiene where the blade should never touch the food item, and the lid should never touch the food as well. There are many can openers with magnets that attract the lid after opening so that it does not fall in the food.
You might be interested in: Best Lightweight Cookware for the Elderly
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Can people suffering from arthritis use can openers?
Yes, people who have arthritis can use can opener as they are very easy to use and are lightweight. They can be used with just one hand. These can opener operate by just pressing a single button and run on electricity.
Q: Which can opener is better, cordless or wired Can Opener Electric?
Electric cordless can opener is better as it is more portable, compact, and easy to carry than the wired can openers. Can Opener Electrics can work anywhere, but the wired can openers need electricity to work. Wired Can Opener Electrics have limited range, whereas cordless can openers are not limited in their range.
Q: How long does a Can Opener last?
An Can Opener Electric of good quality can easily last for years without getting dull. Some cheap and low-end quality can openers can become dull very easily, and they last for a very short time.
You might be interested in: Best Electric Kettles for Elderly
Opening cans may be tricky as it is, but as we get older, weaker hands can make this task a truly frustrating chore.
Thankfully, we live in a time where technology has given us Can Opener Electrics that can make short work of this task.
In this article, we have selected excellent Can Opener Electrics For Seniors based on the features mentioned in our buyer’s guide and the ratings and comments mentioned by actual users on Amazon.
In our opinion, the Hamilton Beach (76606ZA) Smooth Touch... is the top choice among the various options that we have considered because it is easy to use, has an innovative side-cut design, does not let the opener touch the food in the can and operates easily even by people who have very weak hands.
If you are looking for a value for money option, you can also consider the No products found., which offers great value and features at a very reasonable price point.
If you are looking for other equipment that has been designed for weak or shaky hands, look no further!
- Best Golf Rangefinders for Shaky Hands
- Best Camera For Shaky Hands
- Best Vacuum Cleaners for Arthritis Sufferers and Bad Back
- Best Adaptive Utensils for Arthritis
- Best Power Wheelchairs for Rheumatoid Arthritis