There’s an adage that says you won’t think about your tailbone until you’ve hurt it, and then it becomes all you think about.
When we stand up or sits down, our “sitting bones”, which include the coccyx, rotate to help balance and support the body. Sitting for extended periods on hard chairs can cause irritation in the coccyx region, causing issues that can range from a bruised tailbone to sciatica flares and more.
Considering how long people sit nowadays, especially with more people working from home, we only create more opportunity for us to develop irritation pain in our tailbone. Those confined to a wheelchair and who end up spending most of their waking hours in the sitting position, the pain can be even worse.
An easy way to alleviate tailbone pain, whether it’s chronic or temporary, is to use an cushion specifically designed to support your tailbone. Such a cushion is commonly known as a coccyx cushion or a tailbone cushion.
This video shows how to use a coccyx cushion and how it can be helpful in relieving tailbone pain:
In this article, we discuss more about coccyx pain, and introduce a selection of the best coccyx cushions available that can help relieve pressure off our lower spine and tailbone when sitting. The table below gives you a quick snapshot of the best coccyx cushions for tailbone pain, and scroll further for our detailed reviews.
|View On Amazon →|
|View On Amazon →|
|View On Amazon →|
|View On Amazon →|
|View On Amazon →|
What Features Should I Look For in a Coccyx Cushion for Tailbone Pain?
Seat cushions designed for tailbone pain have a unique U-shaped cutout at the rear, allowing for there to be less pressure placed on the tailbone.
The vast majority of coccyx cushions use memory foam, which is dense, durable, and accommodates the precise shape of the person sitting on it. The potential drawbacks of memory foam are that it can become warm as it not breathable, and it may be too soft to support heavier individuals.
If memory foam becomes too hot for you, look for a memory foam cushion that has a layer of cooling gel atop it to help dissipate heat. If you find that memory foam is too soft and collapses too much, consider a ultra-high density foam material like that used in the Mkicesky coccyx cushion, which is similar to that which is used in Crocs sandals. This material, while far stiffer than memory foam, will still slightly conform to your shape while holding its form very well.
An ideal cover is one that is not only has a comfortable lining, but is also washable and has a non-slip base. A non-slip base will prevent the from sliding around when you are sitting on it.
A few memory foam coccyx cushions come with a layer of cooling gel on top of the foam, which helps to dissipate heat should that be necessary. This would be a feature to consider looking for if you live in a warmer climate and find yourself feeling too warm when sitting for long periods. Memory foam is a very dense foam, so it tends to trap heat.
You may also like Wedge Pillow for Prolapse
The Best Recommended Coccyx Cushions for Tailbone Pain
Below is our list of ten of the best coccyx cushions on the market. In our detailed reviews, we look at their specifications, features, and benefits. We hope that the article will help you make an apt choice in selecting a cushion to address your tailbone pain.
|Best Coccyx Cushions||Material/Features|
|1||Everlasting Comfort Seat Cushion||Editor’s Choice, Memory Foam|
|2||ComfiLife Premium Seat Cushion||Memory Foam|
|3||Xtreme Comforts Coccyx Cushion||Memory Foam|
|4||SOFT&CARE Memory Foam Coccyx Cushion||Lumbar Support|
|5||Kieba Coccyx Seat Cushion||Memory Foam, Cooling Gel|
|6||5-Stars Memory Foam Coccyx Cushion||Memory Foam|
|7||OVEYNERSIN Coccyx Cushion for Office Chair||Memory Foam|
|8||Mkicesky Memory Foam Coccyx Cushion||Memory Foam|
|9||BackJoy SitzRight Wedge Seat Cushion||Wedge Design Memory Foam|
|10||Niceeday Cooling Gel Seat Cushion||Lumbar Support, Memory Foam, Cooling Gel|
Our top choice is the Everlasting Comfort Seat Cushion Pillow... . It is a well-priced memory foam cushion and is great for relieving pressure on the tailbone.
#1 – Everlasting Comfort Memory Foam Seat Cushion
Cushions often have the problem of flattening out too soon. Everlasting Comfort’s coccyx cushion, however, is rated for users up to 300 pounds, making it more resilient than a lot of other cushions.
The removable case keeps the cushion’s surface clean and has a nonslip rubber base, which keeps the cushion from sliding when the user is sitting.
Here is a video with more information on the Everlasting Comfort 100% Pure Memory Foam Seat Cushion:
- 17.5” width x 13.5” depth x 2.8” thickness.
- Weighs 1.9 pounds.
- 100% memory foam.
- Orthopedist recommended shape.
- Recommended for weights from 100 to 300 pounds.
- Higher than average weight tolerance for a memory foam product.
- The dense memory foam cradles you gently and removes pressure from your tailbone, helping relieve sciatica and other back or lower back-related chronic pain.
- The non-slip cover design ensures the cushion stays where you need it to be for . The cover is also washable.
- Light, yet still supportive. The cushion is portable and easy to carry from your home to the car to the office.
- A bestseller on Amazon, and very affordable.
- A few users have found the cushion to be bit too firm. However, memory foam tends to soften with more use, and has the tendency to be more firm during colder months.
- Memory foam smells out of the box, but the smell dissipates with time.
Most users will find that this coccyx pillow relieves their pain and improves their sitting comfort.. The unrivaled density of the memory foam and the perfectly designed removable cover puts the Everlast Comfort pillow at the top of our list when it comes to comfort, longevity, and ease of use.
You may also like Coccyx Cushions vs. Donut Cushions
#2 – ComfiLife Coccyx Orthopedic Memory Foam Seat Cushion
If portability is important to you, ComfiLife’s coccyx cushion is the way to go. Equipped with a convenient carrying handle and weighing only 1.3 pounds, few other pillows are as light and easy to carry.
This cushion is fantastic for the person whose job takes them all over town. It makes a great choice to have as a second cushion to take with you on the go (to use as a wheelchair cushion or office chair cushion) while a heavier one stays at home on your favorite chair.
Here is a YouTube video showing more info on the ComfiLife Premium Comfort Seat Cushion:
- 17.7” width x 13.7” depth x 2.8” thickness.
- Weighs 1.3 pounds.
- 100% memory foam.
- Orthopedist recommended U shape.
- Equipped with a carrying handle.
- The weight trade-off doesn’t sacrifice any of the tailbone-saving features expected of a coccyx cushion.
- Removable cover for easy laundering.
- Nonslip base.
- A few users have found that this cushion flattens out too much after a few days of usage. The density of the memory foam in this cushion may be lower than some other cushions.
If you are seeking a coccyx pillow that is as portable as possible, or if you’re looking for a second pillow solely for travel, this is a very solid option.
If you intend to use this pillow for extended periods of time and/or are on the heavier side, you may want to look for a denser pillow because this one tends to sink fairly quickly.
You may also like Best Coccyx Cushions for a Heavy Person
#3 – Xtreme Comforts Coccyx Cushion
A nice middle ground in terms of memory foam density, this cushion from Xtreme Comforts stands apart because of its two-year, no-questions-asked return policy. If you don’t like it or if you find it flattens out too much when you sit on it, you have the freedom to return it! Confidence like that in a product is great to see and translates to peace of mind for the consumer.
Here is video with more info on the Coccyx Orthopedic Memory Foam Seat Cushion:
- 17.6” width x 13.2” depth x 3.1” thickness.
- Weighs 1.9 pounds.
- 100% memory foam pillow.
- New standard U shape.
- 2-year, no-questions-asked return policy. The ability to try the cushion for up to two years is incredible. This would be a great first pillow for anyone who has yet to decide if one of these is what they’ve been looking for.
- Dense memory foam.
- Removable cover for washing.
- Non-skid base.
- The proprietary memory foam used in this cushion supposedly deforms much less than those of competitors.
- Comes in a Deluxe model that features a grab handle and separate carry bag.
- May not be as suitable for relieving sciatica pain.
- A few customers have noticed that the cushion comes folded and creased in the package.
With the advertised return policy, it is hard not to recommend this pillow as a first for anyone who hasn’t tried a coccyx cushion.
While this coccyx cushion requires some patience to break in due to its firmer foam, its durability may be worth the trade-off for many users.
You may also like How Does a Coccyx Cushion Work
#4 – SOFT&CARE Seat Cushion
More than just a tailbone cushion, this set from Soft&Care also comes with a lumbar support pillow that can strap to just about any chair, from your car seat to your dining chair.
Here is a video showing more info on the SOFTaCARE Seat Cushion:
- 18” width x 14” depth x 3” thickness for the coccyx cushion.
- 13” width x 12 ½” height x 4” thickness for the lumbar pillow.
- Combined weight of 2.38 pounds.
- Memory foam construction.
- The most recommended ergonomic pillow combination.
- Two complimentary ergonomic pillows in one convenient package. One of only two cushions in our selection that comes with an included lumbar cushion. The addition of a lumbar pillow is a great idea, as it meshes perfectly with the tailbone pillow to improve posture and comfort when sitting for extended periods of time. Most, if not all, people who need to sit at work could really benefit having both of these on their office chair.
- Handle for portability.
- Removable covers on both pillows for cleanliness and long life.
- A pocket on the lumbar pillow is nice to have.
- Non-slip rubber feet.
- With a total weight of only 2.38 pounds between the two cushions, the density of these cushions is lower than some.
- The cover material feels and looks a bit lower quality when compared to some other cushions in this price range.
- The most expensive cushion in our selection.
Everyone loves a combo unit, and this one has just that with its included lumbar cushion. The one caveat is that some folks may find the cushions to be a bit lacking in density and thus support.
You may also like Best Pillow for Bedridden Patients
#5 – Kieba Coccyx Seat Cushion
Cooling gel is always a welcome addition in a cushion, because adds some extra firmness and rigidity and also prevents one from getting hot and sweaty.
Here is a video showing more info on the Kieba Coccyx Seat Cushion:
- 18” width x 14” depth x 3” thickness.
- A whopping 2.8 pounds.
- Memory foam with cooling gel.
- Non-slip rubber pad.
- U shape .
- Dense memory foam and gel combo can make for excellent comfort for the right user. For those in a hot climate or those who sit for a long time, the cooling gel is a great feature to have.
- Removable cover.
- Rubberized bottom.
- The heaviest seat cushion in our selection, due to the weight of the cooling gel.
- Lack of carry handle.
This and by Kieba would be the one the get for anybody living in hot climates or who tends to feel warm when they sit too long on memory foam. Memory foam is dense and does not dissipate heat well on its own. Do keep in mind that due to the added weight of this cushion and lack of carry handle, it was not designed with portability in mind and is probably best used in one place.
You may also like Best Pillow for Rheumatoid Arthritis
#6 – 5 Stars United Seat Cushion
5 Stars United has produced a great memory foam cushion. In terms of texture, the pillow is firm and comes with a removable, breathable mesh cover to keep it clean. It is a good option for supporting the spine and the lower back for people up to 220 pounds in weight.
- 17.7” width x 13.8” depth x 2.8” thickness.
- Weighs 1.3 pounds.
- Made with memory foam.
- Easy to carry with its carry handle.
- Well priced.
- Zippered cushion cover that is breathable.
- Non-slip base makes sure that it stays in place when put on a chair.
- Inconsistency in customer feedback, with a few users saying the cushion is too firm, while few others say it loses shape and support after a few months.
This coccyx cushion is a great option for people who are on the move as it is lightweight and has a carry handle. However, it may not be the best choice for people on the heavier side as it does not support as much weight as some other cushions and can flatten a bit over time.
You may also like Best Bed Pillow for Elderly
#7 – OVEYNERSIN Seat Cushion
The OVEYNERSIN seat cushion comes with a unique honeycomb design in the foam for ventilation. This makes it a great option for hotter temperatures or longer sitting. Like other pillows on our list, this is a multi-use coccyx pillow, good for office chairs, wheelchairs, or car seats. Best yet, it is the more affordable cushion on our list.
- 17.7” width x 13.7” depth x 2.75” thickness.
- Increases your field of vision by 0.8″ when seated.
- Weighs 1.2 pounds.
- 100% memory foam.
- Breathable thanks to honeycomb pattern in the foam.
- Non-slip bottom.
- Supports users weighing up to 350 lbs.
- Washable cover.
- The most affordable cushion in our selection.
- Amazon’s Choice approved.
- Comes in a range of cover colors.
- This cushion has been found to flatten after longer sitting and more so after a few months.
OVEYNERSIN Coccyx Cushion is a good lightweight option if you are looking for a memory foam cushion with a breathable honeycomb design and a non-slip bottom. It comes in a range of fun colors and is well priced, but some users do find that it compresses a bit much over time.
You may also like Best Foot Elevation Pillow
#8 – Mkicesky Memory Foam Coccyx Cushion
The Mkicesky Coccyx Cushion is designed with breathability and ventilation as its key features. It is also designed with deeper contours than many other cushions, making for a cushion that wraps around the body more, but resulting in an overall thinner cushion than most. Heavier users may want to look elsewhere because this cushion supports a maximum weight of 225 lbs, meaning it could flatten a bit sooner.
This cushion comes with a great mesh zipper cover that is not only anti-sweat absorbent, but also washable so that you can keep your cushion looking fresh.
- 17.5” width x 15” depth x 1.6” thickness.
- Weighs 2.13 pounds.
- Supports users weighing up to 225 lbs.
- 100% memory foam.
- Useful on an office chair or in the car.
- Anti-sweat absorbent mesh zipper cover that is washable.
- Non-slip rubber bottom.
- Its anti-mite interior lining keeps the foam mite and insect free.
- A lower maximum supported weight, most likely due to being a thinner orthopedic cushion.
- The contours on the rear side are tilted quite high, so it may feel like your entire seating position is tilted forward a bit.
The Mkicesky Coccyx Cushion has a unique hollowed design that may be preferred by some users. Do be mindful that a more contoured cushion means a thinner cushion, and this one supports a maximum of 225 pounds.
You may also like Best Pillow for Spinal Stenosis
#9 – BackJoy SitzRight Wedge Seat Cushion
The BackJoy SitzRight Wedge Seat Cushion is inherently the most unique cushion on our list thanks to its non-memory foam material. This cushion uses an EVA-type material that is very similar to the material used to make the popular Crocs sandals. This material in makes for a much firmer seat than memory foam, yet it means it will never flatten and will keep its contoured shape no matter how long you sit on it.
- 18” width x 14” depth x 4” thickness.
- Made from soft EVA material.
- EVA material that is much denser than memory foam, so it will never flatten.
- Unique contoured design with cutouts throughout that allow for airflow.
- Cutout for tailbone support.
- Tilted in such a way to encourage better sitting posture.
- Slip resistant.
- A dense material means this cushion will not be as plush as memory foam.
- With raised nubs throughout the top surface of the cushion, these help with airflow keep the user from shifting, but some users may find them uncomfortable.
BackJoy SitzRight cushion’s unique design is great for heavier weight individuals as the cushion will not flatten thanks to its dense material. It has a contoured design for airflow as well as a betting sitting posture. Those looking for the plushness of a memory foam pillow will want to look elsewhere.
You may also like Best Seat Belt Pillows
#10 – Niceeday Cooling Gel Seat Cushion
The final pick in our list is the Niceeday Cooling Gel Seat Cushion, which is another set of two cushions for sitting with coccyx relief and backing with lumbar support. This set is significantly less expensive than the SOFT&CARE, but also comes with occasional quality control issues like poor stitching.
It has a removable cooling gel liner that can be added to the coccyx cushion to help it dissipate heat and stay cooler during warmer months. You can remove this cooling gel in the colder months for a cozier cushion, and this is super convenient.
- Memory foam material.
- Washable, breathable mesh covers with non-slip base.
- Both cushions weigh 3.59 pounds.
- It is a pair of two cushions – coccyx and lumbar support cushions. One of only two cushions in our selection that comes with an included lumbar cushion.
- Cooling gel liner makes it more comfortable to use in the summers.
- The cooling gel liner is removable for colder months.
- Carry handle.
- Adjustable elastic straps on the lumbar support to attach it securely to the chair you are sitting on.
- Mesh covers are easy to wash and ensure the cushions are well ventilated.
- Non-slip base under the seat cushion.
- Some users mention the seat cushion flattens over time.
- A heavier set the the SOFT&CARE duo.
The Niceeday Cooling Gel Seat Cushion is a great choice if you are looking for an all-in-one product – coccyx cushion, lumbar support cushion, and cooling gel. However, despite the heavier weight of the set, it is still known to flatten after a period of time and may not be ideal for heavier users.
You may also like Best Hemorrhoid Pillows
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What is the tailbone or coccyx bone?
Our tailbone, also known as the coccyx, is a cluster of small 3 to 5 vertebral bones that form the base of our spine. Among other functions, an important function of the coccyx bones is to provide us with support in the sitting position.
Q. What is tailbone pain and how does it occur?
Pain around the coccyx bones, also known as tailbone pain, commonly occurs if you are sitting on hard surfaces for a long period of time. According to a study1, the average American adult spends more than 6 hours a day sitting. Extended over a lifetime, that is a lot of time to be seated! Tailbone pain is particularly exacerbated when one does not sit with . While sitting, it is best to sit with your back against the chair and feet on the ground to help relieve pressure off the tailbone.
Other reasons for tailbone can be , vaginal childbirth, or slipping and falling.
Q. What is a healthy sitting posture?
Please see here for details about how to sit in a healthy posture that can relieve pressure from the tailbone and help slow rate at which we develop tailbone pain.
Q. What is a coccyx cushion and how could it help relieve tailbone pain?
A coccyx cushion or a tailbone cushion is a cushion that provides in the seated position. It has a portion cut out at the rear where the tailbone is, thereby relieving pressure off the coccyx bones.
Most good coccyx cushions are made of memory foam. Memory foam is a denser foam that retains its shape even after pressure is taken off it. The foam molds itself to the shape of the person sitting on it, providing a more comfortable sitting experience.
You may also like Best Car Seat Cushion for Sciatica
Parting Words – Pain Relief Starts With Pressure Relief
For something that many of us do upwards of 6 hours a day, it’s no wonder many of us can develop pain around our tailbone from just sitting. We can spend less time seated, yet we can start by relieving pressure on our tailbone when we are seated, and a seat cushion specially designed to relieve that pressure is a great way to go.
In our opinion, the Amazon bestseller Everlasting Comfort Seat Cushion is the best coccyx cushion out there, with high density memory foam, a non-slip cover, and a light design, all at an affordable price.
If you’re looking for a value for money option, the OVEYNERSIN seat cushion is the most affordable coccyx cushion in our selection while offering many of the same features as the pricier options out there.
By the way, if you are into DIY projects learn how to make coccyx cushion at home. If your tailbone pain is more severe or really interferes with your daily life, we recommend that you speak with your physician about it. If you sit for long periods of time or are suffering from posture issues, you might want to also read our articles on the best posture correctors and the best gait belts.