In this article, we have reviewed the best breathalyzer for home use. If you are in a hurry, the table below gives a quick snapshot. Or you can scroll down for detailed product reviews.
Last update 2021-07-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update 2021-07-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Do you know on a single day 29 people die in America in vehicle accidents that involve an alcoholic driver? That’s 1 death in every 50 minutes. Let that sink in for a bit.
Thankfully, a simple equipment can prevent deaths and injuries from drunk driving; the humble Breathalyzer. If you are an active drinker but also know that you are responsible for your family and love them a lot, then having a breathalyzer on your person can make the difference between life and death.
A breathalyzer is a simple electronic device that looks a bit like a walkie-talkie. It is used to measure breath alcohol content. Many law enforcement agencies also use a breathalyzer to determine blood alcohol levels.
In this article, we will be discussing the breathalyzer, its benefits, and would be presenting a basic buyer’s guide so that you can make an informed decision before purchasing the best breathalyzer for home use. Lastly, we will also discuss some of the best breathalyzers available in the market based on our research and analysis
How Does the Breathalyzer Work?
When you drink, it goes into your small intestine via the stomach. From the stomach, alcohol gets absorbed into your blood and then passes on to other body parts, including the brain and lungs. After alcohol reaches your lungs, you exhale it when you breathe.
The breathalyzer measures how much alcohol is in the air you breathe out and therefore how much alcohol is in your blood. The measure is known as your BAC (Blood Alcohol Content).
If your BAC is above 0, then you are certainly not in the condition of driving and must wait for at least 24 hours before getting behind the wheel of a car. The BAC limit as per the law is 0.08 in the USA.
Here we have a Youtube video that shows the science behind breathalyzer.
What Are the Benefits of a Breathalyzer?
Alcohol detectors are frequently used in social gatherings or police officers to ensure strict control over impaired driving. But you can also use one at home to ensure you are not drunk to drive. Some of its various benefits are:
- While drinking, it is challenging to keep a check on your alcohol level, leading to risky decision-making. Hence, it’s advisable to keep a breathalyzer to monitor the alcohol level and make an informed decision about driving and acting responsibly.
- The device will help you stay within the legal limits and keep you away from getting penalized. The portable breathalyzers are ideal for those who wish to drink in social gatherings and not drive if the alcohol level is more than the legal limit.
- A breathalyzer gives accurate results that are equivalent to a blood sample report. Blood sampling can be a daunting task for those who fear needles. Hence this is a more effective way of getting the test done.
- The users get instant results from the device, and they can then immediately take preventive measures.
- This is an inexpensive way to stay away from problems compared to the fine you need to pay.
Best Breathalyzers Buying Guide
When you look for a breathalyzer, at first glance, they all look similar. If you want to get the best breathalyzer for home use, here are a few things that set apart a good device.
Some devices come with high precision semiconductor sensor design to give more accurate results. Look for this feature in your breathalyzer. Such sensors accurately detect the alcohol level within seconds from 0.000 to 0.950 mg/L range.
For better hygiene, look for devices that come with replacement mouthpieces. The device must also have a collapsible blow mouth design for better breath capture and more accurate results. It must also be washable.
Easy to use and quick results
The mechanism of the breathalyzer must be simple. It should be easy to use. It should also have a wide display. The device must run on a simple on and off button, and give quick results within seconds.
Look for the latest version of your product. An upgraded version may include a lithium battery that lasts for a longer duration, which allows at least 800-1000 tests. Also, the device should automatically turn off to power saver mode after the test is over.
Smart alarm function
A few devices allow the user to set BAC based on their own need. If the test result is higher than the set BAC alarm rings or the breathalyzer flashes’ red light to remind the user. If you need to drive after drinking, it stops you from consuming more alcohol.
Warm-up, blowing, and reset time
If you wish to do multiple testing on the same night, make sure that your breathalyzer gets ready for the next test almost immediately. Also, it must give accurate results after every reset. It should take very little time to warm up after you switch it on and have a short blowing time of just a few seconds.
Ensure your device is easily portable and convenient to store. It should also occupy significantly less space in your handbag, which you can carry in a party or public gathering.
Best Breathalyzer For Home Use
#1 YITENGUGU Breathalyzer Professional Portable Alcohol Tester
The YITENGUGU breathalyzer professional alcohol tester is an extremely accurate device to measure a person’s blood alcohol content.
This device acts as a professional breathalyzer alcohol tester. This breathalyzer is made with three unique testing features.
- Firstly, the device comes in six standard units which are adjustable.
- Secondly, users can set cautions and alarm based on their needs.
- Thirdly, it has up to 32 testing records for checking.
This 5 mouthpieces device comes with an instruction manual on how to use it correctly. The alcohol tester also has a quick power-on button. By simply pressing it for 2 seconds, the test can be started.
Other features of this tester include auto-calibration and sensors, which allow for a self – checking system. This modern device comes in 3AAA alkaline batteries. After finishing the test, it will auto power off immediately. This aids in saving the device’s energy after the test.
- This testing device gives a more accurate reading to people.
- The colorful display makes it easy for people to get reliable results.
- This device is quite useful for drivers as it helps them in checking alcohol content in the body.
- 6 adjustable standard units
- User-defined BAC levels
- 32 testing records
- Auto-calibration and sensors
- This device doesn’t come with separate batteries.
- After several usages at the same time, the device system hangs.
#2 WPAIBAC Professional Breathalyzer Portable Breathe Alcohol Tester
The WPAIBAC portable breath alcohol tester is an ideal breath detector. This is a digital breathalyzer with ten mouthpieces. The alcohol tester comes in easy to use technology thatmakes it a perfect device for home-usage.
The sensor detects the alcohol content in your body within seconds. It features a one-click power button. You need to press this button for only two seconds to start this tester.
One of the unique features of this tester is it is an inbuilt rechargeable lithium battery. The battery of this alcohol tester is versatile enough to use with any USB adapter.
Moreover, the device comes with a micro USB charging cable. The semiconductor sensor design detects blood alcohol level within seconds.
The detector’s warm-up time is 15 seconds, and the response time is 3- 5 seconds. The collapsible blow mouth assures better breath capture. It also aids in keeping the dust out of the mouth.
- The breathalyzer offers different options for checking the alcohol level.
- People can easily carry this tester in their bags or at parties as it is handy.
- This product gives security to people while driving or at parties.
- Quick, one-click power on option
- 3-5 second response time
- Inbuilt, rechargeable Li battery
- On some rare occasions, the device takes a longer time to reset.
- The user needs to wait for at least 15 minutes for the device to warm up.
#3 AHUIFIT Professional Alcohol Tester
The AHUIFIT digital alcohol tester is a perfect device for testing alcohol. The breathalyzer gives a high degree of accuracy in your test results.
The tool is ideal for drivers or to use at home. Therefore, party freaks and drivers often rely on this digital tester. The tester features precise alcohol sensors which automatically detect alcohol level in your body within seconds.
Its portable features make it a handy device. AHUIFIT professional tester gives a unique memory function. It records nearly 32 test results. It automatically shuts down after 5 seconds after the completion of the test.
This feature is a special add on quality to save your device’s battery. The advanced LCD lets you read the data easily. The device’s warm-up time in 20 seconds and the blowing time of this device is 5 seconds.
- This device is a safety measure as it will soon tell when you are drunk.
- The manual is relatively easy to understand and read.
- The sleek structure lets people use it easily.
- Portable and easy to carry around
- Automatic power off after 5 seconds of test completion – power saving option
- Sometimes the instructions are difficult to follow as they are written in broken English.
- You need to change the battery after 3 to 4 months.
#4 Indreamy Portable Alcohol Tester With LCD Display
The Indreamy portable alcohol tester gives easy access to check the alcohol level in your body. This versatile device is sure to provide high accuracy results to people. Using this device is extremely easy and handy.
The device is tailored with one-touch operations. This makes for better user experience. This Indreamy tester comes with intelligent MCU control. The five mouthpieces are built on the back of this device. These mouthpieces give an easy way of testing to the people.
Its blue LED display is one of the most attractive features of the device. It lets you read results comfortably and accurately. Moreover, the screen is specially designed for perfect night viewing. The smart and portable design of this alcohol tester solely makes it an anywhere anytime carrying device.
- The device automatically shuts off after test results come in a few seconds. It helps in saving battery power.
- Breastfeeding mothers find it a productive device when they want to feed their child after drinking.
- Its mini size helps people to put it in your car or pocket.
- Blue LED display, easy to read results
- Single touch easy to use operation
- Intelligent MCU control
- The display freezes after several uses, for which you need to restart it again.
- Not very user-friendly.
#5 Rofeer Digital Blue LED Screen Breath Alcohol Tester
The professionally designed Rofeer digital LED alcohol tester is an ideal alcohol testing device. Device’s high precision semiconductor sensors make it highly reliable for people.
This sensor is specially designed to detect the alcohol level in your body within seconds accurately. The Rofeer digital tester works on AAA battery.
The battery indicator flickers when the battery level is low. The sound warning feature is an entirely novel and trusted one. These sounds let people distinguish their results.
The device makes a Di sound to signal about the lower warning value. The screen will automatically turn green to give a clear indication.
The tester comes with a power button that needs to be pressed for two seconds to start the test. The device, however, takes 15 seconds to preheat. Its unique memory function aids in the recording of nearly 32 test results.
- The device is best for parties, Karaoke, and while driving.
- People can know beforehand their BAC before driving a vehicle.
- The instructions manual is helpful on how to use it effectively.
- Audio result feature is unique to this breathalyzer
- Auto shut off timer turns off device way too quickly.
- You need to wait for a minimum of 20 minutes after drinking before using this device. It sometimes causes inconvenience
If you drink socially (or even otherwise), it is always a good option to check your blood alcohol level while going out to drive. A breathalyzer can help you make a quick and simple test to let you know whether you can drive safely. It can be a lifesaver.
In this article, we have selected the best breathalyzer for home use based on the features mentioned in our buyer’s guide and the ratings and comments mentioned by actual users on Amazon.
In our opinion, the Breathalyzer, Professional... is the best choice among the various options that we have considered because it is the feature-rich product and serves the purpose.
If you are looking for a value for money option, you can also consider the Portable Alcohol Tester with... , which offers great value and features at a very reasonable price point.
You may also like to read about: Best Massage Tables for Home Use