A shoulder surgery can incapacitate one or both of your shoulders, thereby making it more difficult to put on a conventional back clasp bra. If you find yourself in a post-shoulder surgery recovery period, no need to worry! There are specialized post-surgery bras available with a host of features that make your recovery period all the more comfortable.
These features include a front closure that allow you to minimize movement of your shoulders and avoid when putting the bra on, as well as adjustable straps and a wireless, stretchable material for a great fit. Some may come for a more supportive criss-cross back design for added posture support.
In this article, we bring together our reviews of some of the best front closure bras that you can wear after shoulder surgery. For a quick snapshot, see this table below, and read on for your detailed recommendations!
Last update 2021-07-13 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update 2021-07-13 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
You might also like to read about: Best Bras for Mastectomy
The Best Recommended Bras for After Shoulder Surgery
Just before we get into our reviews of the best bras for after shoulder surgery, here is a quick, informative video on how to wear a bra after your shoulder surgery:
Now for our top selections!
#1 – Gentle Touch Post-Shoulder Surgery Bra
Our top choice is the Gentle Touch Post-Shoulder Surgery Bra (Surg-Ease 471-V VELCRO) with a hooks and loop front closure. It is available in sizes S-XXXL (28 A-B cup to 46+F) and comes in white and black.
The Surg-Ease Bra is a soft and comfortable bra to wear, and provides support and compression for patients after breast, shoulder, and thoracic surgery. A 100% natural cotton fabric and plush elastic make the bra extra comfortable and skin-friendly.
It has detachable Velcro shoulder straps that make it easy to put on and take off for dressing or inspection of the surgical site.
The Surg-Ease Bra is designed to hold drain pouches, which you can buy separately.
If you are between two cup sizes, it is ideal to go for the bigger size for maximum comfort as this compression bra size tends to be smaller.
- Velcro front closure makes it perfect while dressing and for inspection of surgical sites – the only bra with Velcro closure in our selection.
- Velcro shoulder straps make it easy to put on the bra post-surgery.
- Sizes from small to XXXXL are available that make it perfect for everyone of any size.
- Slots for drain pouches are available on this bra.
- The cotton material makes the bra non-irritating and skin-friendly.
- Comes in both white and black.
- The Velcro design of the bra may make it feel a bit bulky on the shoulders.
- A few users have noted that it did not provide adequate support.
- One of the more expensive options in our selection.
Why It’s Our Top Choice
Gentle Touch Post-Surgical... is our top choice as it’s both comfortable and easy to put on. It comes with many of the features we look for in a great bra for post-surgery:
- Designed to provide compression to the breasts after surgery. A compression bra helps in healing wounds more quickly.
- Made from very comfortable 100% cotton, which is soft on the skin, moisture absorbent, and breathable.
- Has either a Velcro-based front closure or hooks and loops, also in the front, which make it convenient for dressing and undressing after surgery
- Detachable and broad shoulder straps which are also closed with Velcro.
- Comes with loops for drain pouches that are used to drain fluids from the breast after surgery (drain pouches sold separately).
- Available in a wide variety of sizes ranging from small to XXXXL so that you can find your best fit. When in stock (which, due to demand, it is not always), this bra offers the widest range of sizes of any bra on our list.
You might also like to read about: Best Sport Bras for Elderly
#2 – BRABIC Women’S Front Closure Bra Post Surgery
This post-surgery bra is very comfortable and provides the maximum support one needs after surgery. It is a perfect posture corrector and breast shaper that is topped with a breast support band to provide extra support.
This bra is non-padded, wire-free, with a hook and loop closure makes it comfortable to wear. Breathable and soft fabric makes you feel great every time you wear it. It acts like a pushup bra and supports the breasts well, while also serving as a posture corrector. The bra provides wide straps that are highly elastic, which makes it easy to undress.
The three-row hook design makes it convenient to adjust the hooks to suit your fit.
- Lightweight, comfortable fabric; breathable, skin-friendly material.
- A unique upper support band that none other bra in our selection offers.
- Provides maximum comfort as it is wireless.
- Adjustable wide straps help to reduce back strain after surgery.
- Excellent coverage perfect after liposuction, breast implants, breast lift, breast reduction, and mastectomy or .
- Smoothes out flabby fat from the armpit and upper back.
- Sizes from small to XXX large are available.
- 3-row hook eye front closure.
- Cannot be machine washed or ironed.
- Can be a tight fit for more full-figured women.
You might also like to read about: Best Front Close Bra for Elderly
#3 – Optlove Women’s Wireless Post Surgery Sports Bra
This Post Surgery bra by Optlove is made with an extra elastic material that is a mix of polyester and spandex. The material is very soft and will not cause skin irritation, so you’ll be able to wear it all day long. Flat and fine seam lines will remove indentation on the skin.
The front closure with three hook design makes the bra very suitable for post-surgery. With a well-fit bra like this one, you will feel comfort while sleeping, in the gym, doing yoga, or doing any other activity.
- Front closure with adjustable straps makes the bra excellent for after breast augmentation, breast reduction, mastectomy, and other surgeries.
- Three hooks and loop designs make it easy to fit any breast sizes ranging from small to XXX large.
- Polyester and spandex mixed to make the material breathable, soft, and comfortable.
- Wireless design.
- Outer side padding reduces breast pain.
- Can only be hand washed; not suitable for bleaching or machine washing.
- Not suitable for those allergic to spandex, and it is made of 12% spandex.
- Smaller cup size that may not fit more full-figured women.
You might also like to read about: Must Haves after Neck Surgery
#4 – Kimikal Post Surgery Front Closure Sports Bra
The Kimikal post surgical bra comes with a front closure with three different size adjustments. It also has a cross design on the back that helps to support the back pain.
This is a great everyday bra. Opening and wearing the bra is simple with its front hook and loop design. The straps are adjustable, and the cross design on the back helps to correct posture. Side padding helps to uplift the breasts and give a defined shape.
The material is super elastic, comfortable, and very breathable. The narrow elastic band under the bust provides elasticity that makes the bra flexible and supports the breasts. Available in sizes ranging from 32 B to 40 C.
- 90% polyester, 5% cotton, and 5% Elastane make the bra comfortable to wear.
- The side support and thin padding help to provide extra support for the breasts.
- 3-row front closure makes the bra highly adjustable and flexible.
- Criss-cross back design helps to support the back and reduce back pain.
- Meets all standards for a medically approved bra.
- 5 Sizes, from small to XX-large.
- Not suitable for overweight women with a bust size of more than XXL.
- The shoulder straps do not tighten to a great extent.
- No pocket for a prosthesis.
You might also like to read about: What to Wear When You Recoup After Shoulder Surgery
#5 – BRABIC Women Post-Surgical Sports Support Bra
This wireless bra with front closure and adjustable traps by BRABIC is a must-have after shoulder surgery. It provides compression, improves posture, reduces pain, and helps in a speedy recovery.
This sports bra has a semi mold cup design that provides full coverage. The Lycra material of the bra makes it soft to the touch and highly elastic and comfortable.
Sizes start from 32 B and go up to XX-large 42 B.
- Lycra material makes the bra comfortable and skin-friendly.
- Five different sizes ranging from small to XXL.
- Three-row hook front closures make the bra easy to wear and take off.
- Straps are adjustable making it easy to create a great fit for a variety of breast forms.
- The criss-cross back design supports the back, reduces pain, and improves the posture.
- Semi mold cup design provides full coverage.
- Not suitable for women who have had breast reduction surgery.
- Not suitable for women who have a larger bust size or have undergone .
- Quality control may be a hit or miss. Users have found loose threads in the stitching of the bra.
You might also like to read about: Can a TENS Machine be Used for Neck Pain
#6 – Women’s Zip-front post-surgery Active sports bra
This front zip-up bra is great for wearing and opening after shoulder or breast surgery. Made of 92% nylon and 8% spandex, the bra very elastic and comfortable.
The bra has removable pads that can be removed with convenience. This active sports bra can be worn on an everyday basis as it is ultra-light and sweat-free. Perfect for walking, jogging, cycling, exercising, and other active activities.
- Easy-to-zip design; one of only two zip-up bras in our selection.
- Highly comfortable and ultra-light bra.
- Breathable fabric that is sweat-free and fashionable too.
- Size ranging from 30 B to 44 C.
- Bra also has a small opening for removing pads.
- A wire-free and elastic due to spandex content.
- Offers some of the most color options on our list, including less common colors like grey and purple.
- Provides medium support only.
- Bra straps are not adjustable. This makes the straps feel loose for some and tight for others.
You might also like to read about: Best Pillow for Rheumatoid Arthritis
#7 – HURMES Women’s Zip Front Closure Sports Bra
This great sports bra finishes our list with all the necessary design ingredients to support you in your post shoulder surgery period. This is a wire-free bra with a zipper based front closure that is easy to put on and take off.
The zipper has an anti-slide protector to make sure you never have any wardrobe malfunctions! There is also protective layer of cloth behind the zipper, which makes sure that its teeth don’t catch your skin.
The shoulder straps are great too – they are extremely elastic, non-slip, wide, and connected at the back in a racerback design using stretchy mesh material. which provides extra support while keeping you comfortable and cool.
The seamless bra also has removable pads, and is available in sizes S to 2XL and 7 color combinations to suit your size and style.
- Zippered front closure with cloth covering on the back to protect your skin from the zipper; one of only two zip-up bras in our selection.
- Made of Nylon and Spandex making it both stretchy and comfortable.
- Completely wireless design for excellent post-surgery support.
- Available in sizes S to 2XL and 7 different color combinations to suit your size and style.
- Shoulder straps are stretchy, wide, non-slip, and connect at the back with mesh-like material in an X- shape.
- Some users have mentioned problems with the zipper – either it broke or did not zip up properly.
- A few users have mentioned that the sizes are not very accurate.
You might also like to read about: Must Haves After C Section
What features should I consider when finding Bras for Post-Shoulder Surgery?
Front Closure Bra
After shoulder surgery, a bra with front closure will be very useful as it will allows minimum movement of the arms and shoulders when putting it on. In dressing and inspection sites, it will also be very easy to open. These closures can be secured by hooks, Velcro, or zippers.
Velcro or Adjustable Straps
Velcro shoulder straps also make a bra easy to put on or take off, minimizing shoulder movement after surgery. Adjustable straps allow you to adjust according to your breast size.
Go for skin-friendly, soft, and stretchable fabrics that are comfortable on the skin and accommodate your body shape. While sleeping or moving around, the bra must not rub or chafe your skin. Cotton, polyester, and nylon are some of the best fabrics to go for as they are breathable and easy to use. Elastane or spandex are used to provide elasticity.
Bras should be adequately supportive and cause no irritation and pinching while you move around after shoulder surgery. Some bras offer a criss-cross shape on the back that helps to provide posture support, which make be beneficial to you while recovering from shoulder surgery.
You might also like to read about: Must Haves After Mastectomy
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What are the best bras one can wear after shoulder surgery?
Recovery bras are specifically designed to be worn for recovery after surgeries. They are often easy to put on, convenient to wash, and provide other bits of features that can aid you through post-surgery rehabilitation.
With front closures, these bras do not require you to twist or move your arms to put them on. They also support your breasts without wires. Wide, adjustable shoulder straps are a bonus for comfortability and fit.
Q. How do I find the right size bra for post-surgery?
Finding a perfect size bra can be a more challenging task post-surgery, and bra size may change during the recovery period. Measure your circumference under the breasts and use a size calculator.
Here we have a video that demonstrates how to find the right fit for your post-surgical bra:
Q. How do I put on a bra after shoulder surgery?
Wearing a surgical bra is very simple. Wear it like a shirt and seal it via the front closure. Try to minimize movement of your shoulders, and a front closure definitely aids in this.
Q. How do I wash a post-surgery bra?
It is always better to wash bras with hands under cold water. Do not machine wash bras if you want them to last longer.
You might also like to read about: Must Haves After Breast Augmentation
Parting Words – Convenient Support for a Comfortable Recovery
A shoulder surgery may leave you with limited mobility in one or both shoulders. Putting on a regular bra becomes a challenge. A front-open bra with a hook-and-loop, Velcro, or zip closure makes the effort far less challenging. One should also look for comfort over fashion and support and compression over design and laces and frills. A special with these features help women feel as comfortable as possible during recovery and recover quickly.
In this article, we have selected the best bras for after shoulder surgery based on the features mentioned in our buyer’s guide and ratings and comments mentioned by real users on Amazon.
In our opinion, the Gentle Touch Post-Surgical... is the best choice among the various options that we have considered because of a great design with front closure and adjustable straps, all easily operable using Velcro. It is also comfortable and supportive and available in a large variety of sizes.
If you are looking for a value for money option, you can also consider the Women's Zip Front Sports Bra... , which offers great value and features at a very reasonable price point.
While we make every effort to provide updated and correct information, the advice given in this article and website should not be construed as “medical advice”. Consider consulting with your physician, medical practitioner, or before buying a specialty bra after shoulder surgery. Each individual may have his or her unique issues and your medical practitioner is the best individual to guide you in your recovery.