We have reviewed the best beach wheelchairs. If you are in a hurry, the table below gives a quick snapshot of the top 5.
Last update 2021-07-30 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Did you know there are 2.7 million people in America who use wheelchairs for mobility? Many of them love the beach but cannot enjoy it due to mobility issues. With a beach wheelchair, having fun at the beach is possible even for the disabled.
A beach wheelchair is a specially designed wheelchair that is available in both motorized and manual design to give you proper comfort and accessibility when on the beach. They are equipped with large, wide wheels that can roll across the sand without even sinking.
Let us help you pick out the best beach wheelchair for your loved one!
Our Top Choice – Waterwheels Floating Beach and Pool Wheelchair
The Waterwheels Floating Beach... is our top choice for the best beach wheelchairs because it is a floating chair that is not only safe but durable for people with disabilities. The big balloon wheels can access soft terrain i.e., land and water both. It can be both assembled and disassembled very easily and can be stored in a compact space. Floatable armrest and tires make it our top choice for all you beach lovers. The front panel is made of stainless steel that is a perfect shock absorbent.
Some more features
- Big balloon tires that work on any flat surface, especially sand and water.
- This wheelchair can be assembled and disassembled with ease.
- Floating armrest and tires make it perfect for water.
- Weight capacity of 250lbs.
- The seat is wide enough of size 18″.
- The aluminum framework with the front of stainless steel makes it long-lasting and sturdy.
Best Beach Wheelchairs
#1 Waterwheels Floating Beach, Pool Wheelchair
Waterwheels is manufactured in a such a way to give all users the best outdoor experience! The user can fully relish the beauty of beach, ocean, waterpark, lake and poolside as the wheelchair is very reliable and comfortable.
Waterwheels is ideal for all wheelchair users who have any disability. With the floatable armrests and tires, the user can enjoy being in the water with family and friends.
This wheelchair can easily transport the user from the beach to the water. It is designed keeping in mind the movement of the user. It works perfectly on any flat surface and even sand.
The wheelchair’s front fork is made of stainless steel that helps absorb shock and is long-lasting. As it is very convenient to assemble and disassemble the wheelchair, you can easily store it in a compact place.
It folds easily, and this makes it convenient to carry it from one place to the other. The user can recline and have a great outdoor experience by relaxing in the wheelchair.
- Highly portable and lightweight wheelchair.
- It hardly takes a few minutes to assemble and disassemble the chair.
- Floating armrest and balloon tires make it perfect for the pool, sea, and water park.
- The aluminum framework with the front stainless steel fork makes the chair very durable and long-lasting.
- With the seat size of 18,” the chair is perfect for heavy individuals.
- It can bear a maximum weight of 250 lbs.
- The sturdy framework and strong material make the chair resistant to salt waters.
- It is not ideal for small kids.
#2 Vipamat Hippocampe Beach All Terrain Wheelchair
All those who love the beach but due to your disability stop yourself from enjoying water activities, Hippocampe fulfills all your desires to the fullest.
Make your vacation unforgettable. Enjoy all the terrains you thought was impossible for you to go. The Hippocampe is a leisure wheelchair that is simply perfect for open-air activities. It works on rough surfaces as well as flat surfaces.
Works well in water as well as snow. With a rare double wheel, you can self propel it comfortably. If not, there is a bar for another person to push you. You can easily disassemble it. This makes it highly portable. The Hippocampe has a great design that makes it look fashionable.
Here we have a Youtube video featuring Wheelchair for all kind of terrains, Vipamat’s Beach wheelchair Hippocampe.
- It can be used on pebbles, sand, hiking trails, and water.
- Available in 4 different sizes small, medium, large, and extra-large.
- Two different colors available that is pink and blue.
- The foldable and compact design makes it easy to store.
- Dual wheels and stainless steel body makes it sturdy and long-lasting.
- Long push back rod making it easy to push for the person assisting the user.
- Weight capacity is not mentioned.
#3 All-Terrain Beach Wheelchair Hippocampe
This beach cart is an all-in-one chair suitable for all terrains. It goes on sand, pebbles, and water. All-terrain is perfect for people with disabilities.
The framework is light enough that makes the beach cart float in water. It is trustworthy and safe for completely disable people as it adapts to the needs of every individual. There is a push bar, armrest, and headrest in this beach cart that makes it highly comfortable.
The chair has gone through all the safety tests, resistance tests, and endurance tests and thus is one of the best beach chairs. It is lightly designed making it ideal for carrying the chair from one place to the other. Its eye catching silhouette makes it stand out from other beach carts.
- It has a weight capacity of 242lbs.
- It has undergone all safety tests.
- Lightweight and portable device.
- Easily foldable and convenient to carry.
- The water-resistant silhouette makes it ideal and different from other beach carts.
- Aluminum push rod with grip is strong and long-lasting.
- The footrest is not that strong.
#4 Beach Wheelchair with Four Large Tires
This wheelchair gives you all the reasons to enjoy the beach to the fullest. With a height of 41 inches, a width of 34.5 inches, and a depth of 41 inches, the chair is ideal for anyone with mobility limitations.
The beach chair has four large balloon wheels of 19.5 inches, each large enough to roll on the sand, snow, dirt, and rocks. The wheels are non-corrosive and cannot puncture easily; therefore are suitable to almost all terrains.
This wheelchair can bear weight up to 250lbs. The seat is 25″ wide, which makes it perfect for heavily weighted individuals.
The beach chair is easy to disassemble and can be broken down into three parts that make it convenient to transport from one place to another. You also get a grey umbrella, mesh bag, and a cushion to rest on with the chair.
- Can withstand weight up to 250 lbs.
- H 41″ x W 34.5″ x D41″ makes it suitable for heavily weighted individuals.
- The stainless steel framework makes the beach chair durable and sturdy.
- Four large size non-corrosive balloon wheels are of 19.3″ each.
- Seat height is of 25″ that makes it convenient for all disabled people.
- Removable wheels make the chair perfect to transport from one place to the other.
- Umbrella, cushion, and mesh bag are also available with the chair.
- Not suitable for water activities.
You may also like to read about 5 Best Sea Scooters for Snorkeling
#5 ROLLEEZ Beach Wheelchair with Pneumatic Sand Wheels
This all-terrain wheelchair works on sand, gravel, concrete, and the grass. The chair can be taken into salt water as its frame is salt water-resistant. ROLLEEZ has two large tires in the front of size 19.3 inches and the back wheels of size 11.8 inches.
The chair is strong enough and can withstand chipping and fading as it is UV protected. Overall, its construction makes it look like a lawn chair.
- Two large front wheels of 19.3 inches and two back wheels are of 11.8 inches.
- Seat width 20″
- Swivel caster wheels for smooth movement.
- PVC framework makes the chair rustproof, non-corrosive, and salt resistant.
- 41″ high, 34.5″ wide and 41″ deep.
- It can withstand 250 lbs.
- The chair’s weight is 100 lbs.
- Umbrella and mesh bag are also available along with this wheelchair.
- Not a motorized beach chair, others need to propel it for the user.
What should you look for before buying the best beach wheelchairs?
All those who have mobility issues cannot move in normal wheelchairs. They need specialized wheelchairs to move around the beach. Therefore for them, a self-propelling wheelchair is the best that gives them mobility and freedom to enjoy when on the beach.
Wide Balloon Wheels
Wide wheels enable them to move freely in the sand as well in the water. Therefore go for buying wheelchairs with balloon wheels. This makes the wheelchair sturdy and fits for the beach as well as water.
Strong Enough to Carry Weight
People who cannot move independently depend on others to propel them on the beach so that they can enjoy the surroundings. Beach wheelchairs need to be strong enough to carry a maximum weight up to 400-500 pounds. Even the rear suspension must be strong enough so that the person’s weight is distributed equally and evenly.
The Lighter, the Better
The lighter the beach wheelchair is, the better it is to propel. It becomes easy for someone who is propelling the wheelchair for you and also if you are moving it manually.
Choose the correct size of a wheelchair, considering the person for whom you are buying. There are usually three different sizes available: narrow, medium, and broad; hence choose it wisely. All the different sizes of wheelchairs can bear different weights.
Another thing that is very important to look into is the framework of the beach wheelchair. A sturdy framework that is made of stainless steel is always better as stainless steel material is suitable to withstand the body weight of people with mobility issues.
Before buying a beach wheelchair, also look at the seat size and material. Generally, nylon or vinyl materials are the best as they are durable and convenient to maintain.
Another important feature you must look into is the height of the wheelchair. Wheelchairs that are too short can be inconvenient and difficult to move.
Adjustable Arm and Footrest
Wheelchairs with adjustable arm and footrest make it easier to transfer the user from one place to another. Especially those users who are dependent on others.
Frequently Asked Questions: Best Beach Wheelchairs
Can beach wheelchairs be taken inside water?
Yes, there are wheelchairs designed especially for water. The PVC and open weave fabric allow the wheelchair to be used in water or pool easily. It can be taken inside the sea, and even people with mobility issues can enjoy the beach to the fullest. The best example of such a wheelchair is by Hippocampe that can float easily in water.
Are beach wheelchairs very tough to push?
No, beach wheelchairs are very easy to move due to the fat tires. They move freely and smoothly in the sand.
Which wheelchair is better: self-propelled or transit?
It depends upon the strength of the person and the degree of independence of the wheelchair user. If the wheelchair user has an excellent strength to propel the chair on his\her own, self-propelled wheelchairs are the best. If, for certain medical reasons, the user is dependent on someone to manually push them, then definitely go for transit wheelchairs.
Can a wheelchair user try and take a standard wheelchair on the beach?
It is worth trying but for preventive measures, make sure you are not alone. Always go with an able-bodied person to assist in case the wheelchair gets stuck in the sand. It is also a good idea to have your cellphone handy with plenty of battery life.
What makes a beach wheelchair easy to handle on sand?
The wider the tire of the beach wheelchair, the easier the ride is on the sand. The combination of wider wheels, types of tires for sandy areas, and battery-powered traction covers most of the items necessary for a smooth and pleasant ride to enjoy on the beach.
Any disability should not restrict a person from enjoying his life to the fullest. A beach wheelchair is one such thing that can be a life-changer for your loved ones.
In this article, we have selected the best beach wheelchairs based on the features mentioned in our buyer’s guide and the ratings and comments mentioned by actual users on Amazon.
In our opinion, the Waterwheels Floating Beach... is the best choice among the various options that we have considered because it is ideal for sand and water and rich in features.
If you are looking for a value-for-money option, you can also consider the ROLLEEZ Beach Wheelchair with... , which offers great value and features at a very reasonable price point.
If you are heading out to the beach with your loved ones, you might also like to read 5 Best Sea Scooters for Snorkeling
Beach fun is great, but with the right kind of shoes it can become even better! Have a look at the Best Water Shoes For Wide Feet.