We have reviewed the best bariatric protein shakes. If you are in a hurry, the table below gives a quick snapshot of the top 7.
Last update 2021-12-05 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
According to the World Health Organization, 13% of adults above the age of 18 are obese.
If you are overweight and are undergoing bariatric treatment, you will be recommended a high protein diet. As a golden rule, a bariatric patient is supposed to take at least 15-30 grams of protein per serving. An easy way to do this is to use protein shakes.
Not all protein shakes are good for bariatric patients though. When you are undergoing bariatric treatment, you need to be very careful in choosing the right protein shake with low carbohydrates, no fats, and high protein content.
The market is full of too many proteins shakes with confusing advertising and tall claims. Today, we will focus on the “right” ones – the best bariatric protein shakes that work.
Our Top Choice- Wonder Slim Meal Replacement Shake
The WonderSlim Meal Replacement Shake,... is our top choice for the best bariatric protein shake, because it works fast and helps you stick to a dietary program to lose weight.
It also has casein protein that is slow-digesting. Casein reduces muscle breakdown as it releases amino acids that the body cannot produce when undergoing bariatric treatment.
On purchase of every pack, Wonder Slim promises to feed 2 meals to Americans in need.
Some more features of this meal replacement shake are:
- This protein shake is like a cost-effective weight reduction program which comes highly recommended by doctors.
- Each serving helps you get 15 grams casein protein, supplemented with 24 essential vitamins and minerals.
- Each serving also offers only 100 calories: perfect for a low-calorie diet recommended for bariatric patients.
- The protein shake contains only 7g of carbohydrates per serving and zero sugar. It is recommended for bariatric diets to have as little sugar as possible (sugar is a high calorie product).
- The protein shake comes in several flavors and varieties to suit your taste buds. Losing weight need no longer be a bad experience!
- The product is available in individual packets which you can carry along with you, instead of having to lug around a large jar or glass full of shake everywhere.
- The product is very versatile, you can make both shakes and puddings out of it.
- Wonder Slim is a very trusted brand in the protein supplements business.
Best Bariatric Protein Shakes
#1 WonderSlim Meal Replacement Shake
This meal replacement pudding and shake mix is a great combination of flavors with 24 essential vitamins and minerals that help keep you filled for two meals a day.
The shake is a low carb formula that helps to burn fat and provides better weight loss. With this meal replacement shake, you will no longer have hunger cravings as it will make you feel full and good after you have a glass of shake.
Make puddings, smoothies, and shakes whatever you feel like. It has calcium caseinate protein that helps build amino acids in the body. This further helps in boosting muscle growth.
- No more hunger pangs.
- Designed for weight loss and provides you all the essential nutrients the body needs.
- A protein shake helps in muscle building.
- Unbeatable five different tastes in one pack.
- Perfect for busy moms, athletes, and those who have tight work schedules.
- Helps to stay full for a longer period.
- Amino acids help in better digestion.
- This shake is thick and does not blend easily with a spoon.
- The taste is a bit strong, but works well when used with fruits.
#2 Bariatric Fusion Meal Replacement
Bariatric Fusion has a great protein shake in vanilla flavor to meet the daily requirements of food supplements for bariatric patients. These shakes have great taste, texture and consistency.
The shake is perfect for those who have had gastric bypass, lap band surgery, and sleeve gastrectomy. Its rich, creamy vanilla flavor will not only leave you feeling full, but is also the best meal replacement you can go for. It is highly affordable as it contains 21 servings per tub.
The shake is made by experienced practitioners who have taken feedback from more than 5000 bariatric patients and then made this great meal replacement powder. It is known to have high protein and low carbohydrates that help to lose weight faster.
- Has 27 gram of the highest protein that is effective for the body for bariatric patients.
- High fiber and no sugar make the shake a perfect meal replacement powder.
- Perfect replacement for those who have maximum hunger cravings.
- Fills the stomach for 4 hours.
- Increases metabolism and helps to recover soon after bariatric surgery.
- Clinically tested and meets all the guidelines of ASMBS, Obesity Society and Endocrine Society.
- Not suitable for those who do not like the strong smell of vanilla.
- A little sweeter than other protein shake and hence, suitable for those who have a sweet tooth.
You may also like Best Bariatric Bed for Home Use
#3 HMR 70 Plus Vanilla Shake And Pudding Mix
HMR believes in making the weight loss journey exciting for every individual. Dieting is boring, but with HMR 70 plus vanilla shake, it can be interesting and tasty. With 110 calories per serving, the shake also provides vitamins, minerals, and an ample amount of protein.
It comes in easy travel packing that makes it convenient to carry along in the gym, office, and even while traveling. The shake is thick and very filling. It is creamier and richer than other protein shakes.
It’s an ideal weight management solution for all those who desperately want to lose weight but do not want to compromise on taste.
- Best filling low-calorie option to go for.
- It is very easy to use and highly versatile as you can prepare various foods like desserts and mousse.
- Lactose-free low-fat meal.
- It contains fifteen grams of protein per serving.
- Dissolves completely and is not gritty.
- Very thick consistency makes it better suited to puddings than shakes.
You may also like Best Bariatric Rollator Walkers
#4 Nature’s Best Plant-Based Vegan Protein
This product contains 100% plant-based protein that is made with organic pea and brown rice. It has no artificial color, flavor or sweeteners. It is the best source of amino acids that are not produced by the body.
With 0 cholesterol and only 1.5 grams fat, this vegan protein is the best food supplement you can go for. You need not add any soy or dairy product with the shake. This vegan protein tastes best with almond and coconut milk.
It is very filling when mixed with yogurt and oats. It is a perfect food supplement that can be used while baking a variety of foods.
- Contains only 2-gram fat that is needed by the body.
- With zero sugar and cholesterol, this shake is a perfect food supplement.
- Rich in iron and potassium, therefore, keeps the stomach full for a long time.
- Lumps are formed immediately and only blend well with a blender.
- Not a source of calcium and Vitamin D, by itself.
You may also like Best Bariatric Knee Brace
#5 Celebrate High Protein Meal Replacement
This vitamin and nutritional supplement is best for those planning to lose weight or already under a bariatric treatment. It works well for all those patients who have had gastric bypass, sleeve gastrectomy, duodenal switch, and intragastric balloon surgery.
The shake promises to give a great taste, enhances absorption and is easy to digest. The shake has 5-7 grams of fiber that helps to stay full for a longer time and regulates blood sugar levels.
It contains whey and soy protein that helps to produce amino acids the body needs. It is a low fat, low sugar shake that gives 130-180 calories per servings. It is suitable for patients and non-patients as it provides 24-27 grams of protein per serving.
- Great for your taste buds.
- Contains fiber that makes you feel full.
- Gluten-free, low fat, and low sugar dietary supplement.
- Helps in better digestion.
- Shake also helps to maintain insulin levels in the body.
- It is a complete protein, which contains both soy and whey protein.
- Provides only 15 servings in one tub, making it a little costly.
- The product tastes better when mixed with water instead of milk.
You may also like Best Bariatric Briefs
#6 Bariatric Advantage High Protein Supplement Mix
When going through a bariatric treatment, it is really important to add high protein into your diet. This Bariatric Advantage Mix contains whey protein isolate that gives 20 grams of protein per serving.
It helps to provide branched-chain amino acids that help to support protein synthesis and keep the body lean. The protein shake has 1 gram of organic cane sugar that also provides 100g calcium per serving.
The powder tastes best with water, milk, nut milk and cottage cheese.
- Contains milk and soy.
- Provides both amino acids and chain amino acids.
- High-quality whey protein helps to stay lean.
- Contains only 1 gram of sugar.
- May not be suitable to those with dairy allergies.
You may also like Best Bariatric Shower Chair
What Should You Look for Before Buying Bariatric Protein Shakes?
Protein is essential for rebuilding your damaged muscles and boosting energy after a bariatric treatment or surgery. Protein shakes are a handy way to keep you full and to maintain your weight loss for a longer time.
Well duh! It is a protein shake after all! But how much protein is good for you? Can you eat all that you can get? The answer is tricky, and it’s always best to go with the advice of your doctor.
However, as a thumb rule, most people suggest 15-20 grams per serving as ideal for bariatric patients, as long as calorie content and sugar are within limits and the protein is supplemented with physical exercise and workouts.
No Artificial Sweetener
Before buying a protein shake, see to it that it does not have any artificial sweeteners in it. If you are under a pre or post-bariatric treatment, you need to be very careful when drinking protein shakes. Shakes with sweeteners will only lead to calorie intake. This will harm your body.
Low Fat Content
Protein shakes need to have only 1-1.5 grams of total fat. Post-bariatric treatment or operation, the body is undergoing many changes; therefore, see to it that the fat content in the shake you choose is at a minimum.
Choose different flavors of protein shake so that you start developing a taste for it as bariatric patients tend to have loss of taste post-surgery or treatment.
Less Calorie Content
To complement your bariatric treatment and diet, it is advisable to choose a powder with almost no carbohydrates and minimal calories.
Minerals and Vitamins
When undergoing a bariatric treatment, you need to consume an adequate amount of vitamins and minerals. Therefore, see to it that the shake you choose has it all. It will not only help to heal you from within but will also help to reduce more fat.
Type of Protein
Many protein shakes have soy isolates, and others have whey isolates, and some have both. It is ideal if the protein shake you are buying has both so that it will help to build up amino acids in the body. This will further help to stay lean and will also help to recover soon after bariatric surgery.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much protein powder must I intake?
Consumption of the right amount of protein powder depends upon the type of bariatric treatment you have gone through. If you are bariatric, then taking 20 gm per serving is a good idea. Apart from this, make sure that the sugar intake per serving is less than 15grams, and overall calorie intake is less than 300 if you want to safely lose weight.
Are protein powders safe to use?
Protein powders are just nutrient supplements that help you stay full and boost your energy levels pre or post-bariatric treatment. Bariatric patients need to consume a certain amount of protein shake either with milk or water to stay energetic all day long.
Which type of protein helps to reduce more weight?
When buying a bariatric protein shake, go for whey protein, soy protein or plant-based protein. All these will help you reduce weight quickly and will keep you full for a longer period. Go for shakes that have fiber so that you stay full, and it will further reduce hunger cravings.
What happens if you don’t get enough protein after bariatric surgery?
In the aftermath of a bariatric surgery, the body needs to maintain muscle mass to counteract the effects of rapid weight loss. Protein is extremely helpful in not just sustaining but building muscle mass as you lose weight.
So to answer the question: if you don’t take protein, the body will start cannibalizing your muscles for its protein intake! So make sure you follow the doctor’s orders.
What are the side effects of protein shakes?
Overall whey protein is harmless for most people. At times, some people may have a digestive inability to break down lactose in whey protein (commonly known as lactose intolerance). Lactose intolerance typically has symptoms related to digestive problems such as diarrhea, bloating, gas and stomach cramps. If you have such an intolerance, opt for a non-dairy protein alternative.
Do protein shakes make you fat?
Anything taken in overabundance can make you fat. Specifically, in the case of protein shakes avoid ones that are high on carbs or sugar content. These will quickly make you put on the weight you are trying so hard to lose. Also, if you are mixing your protein shake with fruits or other ingredients, make sure that they are also low on carbs and sugar content.
Protein shakes are great supplements if you are planning to shed some weight. But if you are undergoing bariatric treatment, you need to tread carefully. Ensure that you take the right quantity of protein, but do not take it with too much sugar or calories.
In this article, we have selected the best bariatric protein shakes based on the features mentioned in our buyer’s guide and the ratings and comments mentioned by actual users on Amazon.
In our opinion, the WonderSlim Meal Replacement Shake,... is the best choice among the various options that we have considered, because it is rich in features and serves the purpose.
If you are looking for a value for money option, you can also consider the Nature's Best Plant Based Vegan Protein... , which offers great value and features at a very reasonable price point.
While we make every effort to provide updated and correct information, the advice given in this article and website should not be construed as “medical advice”. Please consult with your physician or medical practitioner before using any protein shake. Each individual may have his or her unique issues and your medical practitioner is the best person to decide the best bariatric protein shake for your case.
If you are walking or running to reduce your weight, you should protect your knees. Read more about Best Bariatric Knee Brace.
After a hard day of workouts, nothing beats a nice shower. Our article on Best Bariatric Shower Chair will help you select the right bath aid.