In this article, we have reviewed the best AFO for foot drop. If you are in a hurry, the table below gives a quick snapshot of the top 6.
Last update 2021-10-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update 2021-10-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Ankle Foot Orthosis (AFO) are braces that act as the support for the ankle. It helps to control the position of the ankle due to weakness or deformities.
AFOs constitute about 26% of all orthoses provided in the United States. They also support weak limbs, foot drop, and other serious medical conditions.
If you have consistent ankle pain or foot drop, you should consider AFO’s. These wonderful devices are easily available online. In this article, we have shortlisted some of the best AFO for foot drop that will be useful to provide support to your ankle.
Our Top Choice – Upgraded ankle-foot orthosis support AFO braces
The Upgraded Ankle Foot Orthosis Support AFO... is our top choice for the best AFO for foot drop because it works well for foot drop correction. Perfectly provides stability and ankle strength that is needed while moving. It is also known to correct the walking and prevents you from tripping with a foot drop.
Some more features
- Lightweight and portable brace.
- Four different sizes S, M, L, XL, fit in the shoes easily.
- Straps have four gears to adjust and flexible too.
- The padded front strap provides extra support while walking.
- Exclusive half foot design supports the foot and the pain area well.
- Velcro straps are simple to wear and hold the foot firmly while walking.
- Detachable foot pads are easy to clean and give extra support to the foot.
Best AFO For Foot Drop
#1 Upgraded ankle-foot orthosis support AFO brace
This AFO brace is specifically designed for people who have foot amyosthenia or foot drop. It improves the walking function and helps to bring in the lost self-confidence of individuals.
Made with polypropylene terry fabric and has a hook and loop design. Its half palm design effectively corrects the foot drop. It also makes walking flexible.
There is 4 level of adjustments that strengthen the straps so that it can meet the needs of rehabilitation at all stages. The brace has Flannel pads that are detachable and easy to clean. High adhesive Velcro straps are easy to wear and hold the braces firmly while walking.
The thick foam pads are soft and comfortable. You can easily wear any soft shoes when wearing AFO braces. It is available in 4 different sizes small to XL.
- Four different sizes are available to suit every foot size. Ranging from S, M, L, XL.
- Four gears are available to adjust the straps according to your need and requirement.
- Made with Ergonomic material that is Polypropylene and terry fabric that makes the braces comfortable and durable.
- The package size is 17*12.6*4.7 inches.
- It is designed to improve foot valgus, for foot correction, and to prevent foot drop.
- Approved by FDA and has a 12 months guarantee also.
- Terry plastic is a bit tough.
- For some, the wrap-around straps may not fit in the shoes.
#2 Drop foot support AFO Ankle brace
This small portable device helps to prevent foot drop. It is highly portable and wearable gear that supports the foot firmly. The breathable material with Velcro makes it comfortable to wear the ankle brace for a long time.
It works on strokes, fibula nerve paralysis, Hemiplegia, neuromuscular weakness, and poliomyelitis. One size fits up to a maximum circumference of 11.8 inches. It also treats foot drop, dorsiflexion, stroke patients, and people with a leg muscle disorder. Replacement straps are available with the brace.
- Works great with foot drop and other medical conditions.
- Available in free size and fits up to a circumference of 11.8 inches.
- It has a lightweight and breathable fabric that makes the band comfortable.
- Works with any shoe.
- Very portable can be carried along anywhere you go.
- Prevents you from tripping and provides excellent ankle support.
- The brace is available at a budget-friendly price.
- If there were a strap to attach to the shoelace, the brace support would have been better.
- For those who have broader legs, the ankle strap may not fit perfectly.
You might be interested in reading:
#3 Soft AFO Foot Braces
This wrap-around foot and ankle closure braces are made of velvet fabric that is soft and highly comfortable. It has cushioned padding that makes the wrap breathable and wearable for long periods. The straps can be interchanged and can be worn with any shoe, sandal, and even barefoot.
Foot brace works on various medical conditions that are muscular dystrophy, Achilles tendonitis, plantar fasciitis, foot drop, and more. Its revolutionary design provides an improvement in walking and provides support to the ankle and the foot.
You can remove the sole strap during the day and wear it at night to provide the foot with proper support. But, please wash it with only water and detergent.
- Free size with magic paste closure makes the strap fit anyone.
- Velvet material with three-layer cushion padding makes the foot and the ankle brace soft and breathable.
- Interchangeable straps provide better support.
- Revolutionary design works on the pain areas and improves the walking of an individual.
- Provide 24*7 protection from pain and other medical conditions.
- Wearing only one wrap will not solve your foot drop problem.
- Only hand wash with mild detergent.
#4 Foot UP Drop Braces For Walking, AFO Brace
Three layers of soft material with cushion ankle warp has a mesh vent that makes the gear breathable. This drop foot orthosis protects the ankle joint and makes walking easy.
This brace works on many medical conditions like sacral muscular atrophy, polio, multiple sclerosis, peroneal nerve paralysis, and more. The maximum ankle circumference of 11.8inches fits all. The strong Velcro does not let the brace move from its position.
Its suede strap fabric, perforated composite fabric, neon plastic buckle makes the brace easy to maintain and wear.
- Effective drop support and treatment of other serious medical conditions will possibly improve by wearing this ankle brace.
- It can be worn with any shoe as it gives easy mobility.
- One size of 13 inches fits all.
- Buckled strap with cushion padding works on the ankle pain and makes it convenient to wear the brace.
- Not very stable and does not fit people with heavy ankle area.
- Does not work will all types of shoes.
You might be interested in reading: Plantar Fasciitis Night Socks
#5 Fibee Foot Up Brace for walking soft adjustable AFO
This strong support for drop foot or dorsiflexion disorder, chronic ankle instability, and ankle sprains. It is a lightweight ankle-foot-up brace that helps you walk more naturally by assisting the foot and keeping the ankle aligned.
This AFO brace has four plastic clips that keep the straps fixed in one position and lift the foot better. With regular use, visible improvement of the foot movement can be seen. Shoelace hook design helps the brace to be hooked up to the shoelace for proper movement.
This makes the brace very convenient to wear and open. With the hook and loop closure, the straps can be adjusted according to the desired compression. This foot brace fits any leg and is suitable for both men and women.
- Build-in 4 piece plastic clips for stabilizing the ankle and proper lifting of the foot.
- Front shoelace hook design for better support.
- Removable plastic support bars make the brace likable.
- Breathable material makes the brace easy to wear for a long time.
- Flannel fabric does not rub with the skin while walking.
- The internal foam makes the brace very comfortable.
- The straps stay intact and do not come out easily.
- Unisex braces perfect for any leg.
- Available in one size with ankle circumference of 8.5”.
- For some, the brace is a little flimsy.
- After using it for long hours it can become uncomfortable for some.
#6 Core Products AFO Foot Drop Brace
Foot flexor AFO is a perfect foot drop solution as it allows you to walk naturally. It also helps you to lift your feet to the maximum. It is made in the USA; hence it is very reliable.
The brace has a semi-rigid panel inside that helps to adjust the strap according to the ankle size. There are loops for adjusting the tension of the strap. Soft hook compatible material makes the brace very comfortable.
There are eyelet clips attached to the strap that makes it easy to attach the straps to the shoelaces while walking. This provides extra support while walking.
The best thing about this brace is it is available in two different small sizes ranging from 8”-12” sizes (extra-small\small). The large\extra-large sizes range from 8”-15”.
Do keep in mind that wearing this brace with socks makes it more comfortable and also prevents irritation.
- Two different sizes are available: small and large or extra small and extra-large.
- Eyelet clips on the strap make it easy to clip the straps to the shoelace while walking.
- Hook and loop closure makes the brace comfortable to wear.
- Semi-rigid panel to adjust the strap according to the tension needed.
- Soft hook compatible material makes the brace comfortable for regular use.
- Foot flexor has a low profile and works best for foot drop.
- This brace is not for ankle supports; therefore, do not cinch it too tightly.
- For better mobility, wear socks with them.
You might be interested in reading: Plantar Fasciitis Night Splints
#7 TENBON Ankle Brace Orthosis
TENBON AFO is a high quality foot drop medical aid made out of sponge, nylon tape, velvet and plastic sheet. It is cushioned with a 3-layered material and therefore is comfortable for wearing throughout the day.
Not only can this AFO be used for foot drop, but it is also helpful for reducing pain in conditions such as Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease, plantar fasciitis, peroneal palsy, polio, multiple sclerosis, Achilles tendonitis, muscular dystrophy, and more.
There are interchangeable inserts in the AFO which means that you can wear this brace with any kind of shoe, laced, slip-on or even sandals.
The AFO is a one size fits all product that typically fits most people in one go.
- One size fits all product that can be worn by almost anybody
- Made of high-quality materials including velvet, nylon, plastic sheet, and sponge. Comfortable for wearing all day long
- 3-layered cushioned material on the AFO for perfect support
- Interchangeable inserts in the AFO mean that it can be used for almost any kind of shoe and even sandals
- There are high strength silicone strips on the AFO which give it a lot of resistance not allowing it to slip off the leg
- It has an open design which makes it easy to wear
- The velcro on this AFO started to fall apart apart just a week, as per one customer
- Several users complained that the AFO was not able to correct drop foot
What should you look for before buying an AFO brace?
Choose the correct size and shape of AFO
Choosing the right size of AFO braces is very important as these kinds of braces are available in different formats. It depends on your medical condition for choosing the type of braces. If you only need ankle support, go for buying the L shape AFO. If you have weak legs and need full leg support, then buy a full brace to support your upper foot and the lower area.
Choose an AFO brace that has a lightweight material. Easy to wear and is comfortable while moving. Go for a lightweight material that provides maximum protection. This will also make lifting the boot easier while walking.
You might be interested in reading: Best Walking Boot For Sprained Ankle
With regular use, AFO braces experience wear and tear. The maximum wear and tear are on the straps and clasps. Therefore, go for buying products that give you an easy replacement guarantee. This will help you to make the most out of the brace.
Another thing that is a must when buying foot drop braces is that it has adjustable straps. Either with clips or Velcro. Both are effective in supporting the braces and keeping them in the position.
The brace material is another important thing to look into before buying an AFO brace. Soft, breathable material with padded foam works well in making the brace comfortable to wear for a long period.
You might be interested in reading: Must Haves After Ankle Surgery
Frequently Asked Questions
Can an AFO brace be customized?
Individuals with special medical conditions can get their AFO braces customized according to their foot size and requirement.
Do AFO braces hurt when you wear them?
Anything new for you and the body; it takes time for getting adapted to it. Therefore, there can be a transition period for your body to adapt to the new gear, but there will be no pain for sure as the AFO braces are specially designed to give you a pain-free movement.
Can I wear shoes with braces on?
Yes, of course, you can wear a comfortable pair of sneakers with your braces on. It will prove to be very comfortable. But one thing to remember is that your sneaker must have a traditional tongue and laces to give you a comfortable wearing experience. See our review on best shoe for foot drop.
How does an AFO work?
Ankle braces help to support your ankle and give you support while moving your foot. If you have any form of deformities, weak limbs, wearing an AFO brace will help you walk to the best of your ability.
You might be interested in reading: Best Knee Scooter for Foot Surgery
An AFO brace can control instabilities in the lower limb by maintaining proper alignment and controlling motion. It is also intended to control the position and motion of the ankle. It is a great device if you have any lower limb issues. In this article, we have selected the Best AFO For Foot Drop based on the features mentioned in our buyer’s guide and the ratings and comments mentioned by actual users on Amazon.
In our opinion, the Upgraded Ankle Foot Orthosis Support AFO... is the best choice among the various options that we have considered because it is suitable for the purpose and rich in features.
If you are looking for a value for money option, you can also consider the Drop Foot Support AFO AFOs Ankle Brace... , which offers great value and features at a very reasonable price point.
While we make every effort to provide updated and correct information, the advice given in this article and website should not be construed as “medical advice”. Please consult with your physician or medical practitioner before using any AFO braces. Each individual may have his or her unique issues and your medical practitioner is the best person to decide the Best AFO For Foot Drop for your case.